Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Galatians' justified, being made righteous or deemed righteous in chapter 2 verse 17 is being spoken in the subjunctive mood. The mood of possibilities not the indicative, as a done deal, a fact. This is shown by the use of the word "might" in verse 16, in the clause "might be justified (made righteous)" as in not yet but can happen in the KJV. Couple that with verse 17 where it says, 'while we seek to be justified'. This is being spoken in the Infinitive mood. This is brought out by the use of the words "to be" as in not yet but to be. This shows us here in Galatians that justified, being made righteous or deemed righteous in Galatians is not a done deal it is a process. This justification (being made righteous) is not of ourselves but out of the faith of Christ and can only be done through us believing INTO Christ as verse 2:16 states. For we who have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ as verse 3:27 states and Romans 6. And we are not children of God or Justified by OUR faith but by the faith of Christ which we partake of in Christ having put Him on. Because we have His spirit as verse 3:2 states. And this is stated in relation to verse 2:20 where it says we are dead but live. Yet NOT US but Christ Jesus. And the LIFE WE now LIVE is BY THE FAITH OF the Son of God who gave himself. If we are living by the faith of Christ we are living by His spirit. For being In Him and He in us we are seeking to be justified, made righteous.

Living through Christ and His faith; the way He believed we are made righteous, But if we are found sinners while we are seeking to be made righteous, justified is Christ the minister of sin since we now have Him in us and we in Him? God forbid! How shall we who are dead to sin live any longer therein. If I build, sin again after it has been destroyed,Vs. 2:17 the old man being crucified with Him, that the body of sin be destroyed I make myself a transgressor.

We now live in the flesh through the Faith OF the Son of God, 2:20 For it is written, the Just shall live by His Faith not through the flesh and it's works. So let not the things of the flesh be once named among you. Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. So we can not do the things that we would. Amen
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by (OUT) the works of the law, but by (THROUGH) the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in (INTO) Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by (OUT OF) the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
Gal 2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by (THROUGH) the faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

• Winner
Reactions: Gary K

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Galatians' justified, being made righteous or deemed righteous in chapter 2 verse 17 is being spoken in the subjunctive mood. The mood of possibilities not the indicative, as a done deal, a fact. This is shown by the use of the word "might" in verse 16, in the clause "might be justified (made righteous)" as in not yet but can happen in the KJV. Couple that with verse 17 where it says, 'while we seek to be justified'. This is being spoken in the Infinitive mood. This is brought out by the use of the words "to be" as in not yet but to be. This shows us here in Galatians that justified, being made righteous or deemed righteous in Galatians is not a done deal it is a process. This justification (being made righteous) is not of ourselves but out of the faith of Christ and can only be done through us believing INTO Christ as verse 2:16 states. For we who have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ as verse 3:27 states and Romans 6. And we are not children of God or Justified by OUR faith but by the faith of Christ which we partake of in Christ having put Him on. Because we have His spirit as verse 3:2 states. And this is stated in relation to verse 2:20 where it says we are dead but live. Yet NOT US but Christ Jesus. And the LIFE WE now LIVE is BY THE FAITH OF the Son of God who gave himself. If we are living by the faith of Christ we are living by His spirit. For being In Him and He in us we are seeking to be justified, made righteous.

Living through Christ and His faith; the way He believed we are made righteous, But if we are found sinners while we are seeking to be made righteous, justified is Christ the minister of sin since we now have Him in us and we in Him? God forbid! How shall we who are dead to sin live any longer therein. If I build, sin again after it has been destroyed,Vs. 2:17 the old man being crucified with Him, that the body of sin be destroyed I make myself a transgressor.

We now live in the flesh through the Faith OF the Son of God, 2:20 For it is written, the Just shall live by His Faith not through the flesh and it's works. So let not the things of the flesh be once named among you. Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. So we can not do the things that we would. Amen
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by (OUT) the works of the law, but by (THROUGH) the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in (INTO) Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by (OUT OF) the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
Gal 2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by (THROUGH) the faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
What is the difference between justification and sanctification?

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the difference between justification and sanctification?
This thread is on the justification that Galatians speaks of. Please address the op thanks

Reactions: PrincetonGuy
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Very good post.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Did the Galatians experience sanctification in addition to justification?
I have an explanation for you. Justification leads us to sanctification. In verses 22 and 23 Paul demonstrates that.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

That is a description of the sanctified individual. One who keeps the 10 commandments as sanctification is contrasted to the sins of the flesh in the immediately preceding verses of whom Paul says those who behave that way will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have an explanation for you. Justification leads us to sanctification. In verses 22 and 23 Paul demonstrates that.

That is a description of the sanctified individual. One who keeps the 10 commandments as sanctification is contrasted to the sins of the flesh in the immediately preceding verses of whom Paul says those who behave that way will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Sorry that I am alow. Can you write shorter sentences? I am having trouble understanding you. Are you saying that a sanctified person will not inherit the kingdom of God?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry that I am alow. Can you write shorter sentences? I am having trouble understanding you. Are you saying that a sanctified person will not inherit the kingdom of God?
No. Only those who "walk", which means to live by and in the Spirit, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Galatians' justified, being made righteous or deemed righteous in chapter 2 verse 17 is being spoken in the subjunctive mood. The mood of possibilities not the indicative, as a done deal, a fact. This is shown by the use of the word "might" in verse 16, in the clause "might be justified (made righteous)" as in not yet but can happen in the KJV. Couple that with verse 17 where it says, 'while we seek to be justified'. This is being spoken in the Infinitive mood. This is brought out by the use of the words "to be" as in not yet but to be. This shows us here in Galatians that justified, being made righteous or deemed righteous in Galatians is not a done deal it is a process.
Justification is not a process, but is the end-product of placing one's trust in Christ. The passage from which you quote makes this point clear:

Galatians 2:14–16 (NKJV):
14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, “If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified."​

Knowing that man is not justified by obedience to the law buy by faith in Christ, Paul (and his saved companions) placed his trust in Christ so that he would obtain the justifcation that only comes through faith in Christ. He/they turned away from the law knowing that obedience to the law does not yield justification. Justification is only through faith in Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: biblelesson
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Justification is not a process, but is the end-product of placing one's trust in Christ. The passage from which you quote makes this point clear:

Galatians 2:14–16 (NKJV):​
14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, “If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified."​

Knowing that man is not justified by obedience to the law buy by faith in Christ, Paul (and his saved companions) placed his trust in Christ so that he would obtain the justifcation that only comes through faith in Christ. He/they turned away from the law knowing that obedience to the law does not yield justification. Justification is only through faith in Christ.
So, being justified by faith causes you to turn away from God's law? Why? Does justification through Jesus' life, death, burial and resurrection cause you to love Jesus less than before you asked Him into your heart? How does that happen as you were already refusing to follow God's law before you came to know Jesus? All of us were.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not your own study? I'm surprised.
No it is mine, . God moved me through it so we share. Funny how we look and study a set of verses, chapters and or books for years and don’t see. The first part of the po was not given to me until yesterday. And I probably would have not seen it if it weren’t for this forum

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No it is mine, . God moved me through it so we share. Funny how we look and study a set of verses, chapters and or books for years and don’t see. The first part of the po was not given to me until yesterday. And I probably would have not seen it if it weren’t for this forum
Yeah, I resemble that remark, as Garfield said. I learn more here every day not only of scripture but about how to be a Christian too.

Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So, being justified by faith causes you to turn away from God's law? Why?
Galatians is focused as a laser on the topic that is addressed throughout Scripture, which is trusting Jesus to save us from missing the mark that the law paints instead of trusting in your own ability to satisfy God through obedience to the law. When a person turns to Jesus for forgiveness, he gives up any pretense that he is right with God through obedience to the law.
Does justification through Jesus' life, death, burial and resurrection cause you to love Jesus less than before you asked Him into your heart?
I don't know how that could possibly happen. Justification through faith in Christ Jesus causes you to become a child of God. See Galatians 3:26 (NKJV): "For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus."
How does that happen as you were already refusing to follow God's law before you came to know Jesus? All of us were.
No, that is not true. There are many people with different backgrounds and religious affiliations who think obedience to the law is the path to rightness with God. Scripture makes it clear that rightness with God comes through trust in Jesus Christ and not through obedience to the law. This is precisely the justification of which Galatians speaks.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Galatians is focused as a laser on the topic that is addressed throughout Scripture, which is trusting Jesus to save us from missing the mark that the law paints instead of trusting in your own ability to satisfy God through obedience to the law. When a person turns to Jesus for forgiveness, he gives up any pretense that he is right with God through obedience to the law.

I don't know how that could possibly happen. Justification through faith in Christ Jesus causes you to become a child of God. See Galatians 3:26 (NKJV): "For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus."

No, that is not true. There are many people with different backgrounds and religious affiliations who think obedience to the law is the path to rightness with God. Scripture makes it clear that rightness with God comes through trust in Jesus Christ and not through obedience to the law. This is precisely the justification of which Galatians speaks.
One. You misread my comment on before we come to Christ and are justified. I was speaking specifically to pre conversion.

As the last comments you make on justification Paul disagrees with you in Galatians 5: 22, 23.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

No law includes, by default, the 10 commandments.

Upvote 0