✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
BBC News - US congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in Arizona

Some news outlets are reporting it as fatal. 12 other people were shot as well.
The shooting is said to have happened during a public event at a grocery store in the city of Tucson.

Reports say a man ran up and opened fire at Ms Giffords, 40, and members of her staff.
Motives are, of course, as of yet still unknown, but this looks like a targeted attack.

Last edited:

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
From Colorado, currently in the UK
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Apparent confirmation: The congresswoman has died, as have six others who were shot.

Congresswoman, 6 Others, Killed By Gunman : NPR

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and six others died after a gunman opened fire at a public event on Saturday, the Pima County, Ariz., sheriff's office confirms. The 40-year-old Democrat was outside a Tucson grocery store when a gunman ran up and began firing indiscriminately. The suspect was taken into police custody...Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s.

Upvote 0
N

Nathan45

This is a targeted attack not a random shooting. This is an assassination attempt. Don't doubt that. This was a scheduled event where the congresswoman was meeting constituents in a grocery store, so people knew she was going to be there.

Things are getting so damned scary in this country now.

Giffords is one of 20 congresspeople that Sarah Palin put on a hit list for voting for the health care bill, source:
Sarah Palin's PAC Puts Gun Sights On Democrats She's Targeting In 2010

I hope she's ok. :(

Upvote 0

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
OK, we can see where this is going already. The woman met a tragic death for motives as yet unknown, but already it is Sarah Palin's fault. Then it will be extrapolated to the religious right, and then probably Rush Limbaugh.
Guaranteed it was a right-wing whack job who listened to right wing hate machine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"2nd Amendment remedy?"

Why ask this question now?
Because, as Nathan says, the targeted nature of the attack, at a scheduled event, belies a grudge of some kind, be it personal, political or otherwise, and hence begs the question.

Even though the poor woman has been mercilessly killed either way, and whatever the reason it will not bring her back nor lessen the tragedy of this act, I do hope I'm wrong in my assumption of what the motive is. I do hope the temperature in this country has not risen to such a degree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Guaranteed it was a right-wing whack job who listened to right wing hate machine.
Brilliant analysis there SOAD. Good to see that the heart of the liberal hate machine never misses a beat.

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And you base that on what, your feelings?
Seeing as that's all we have with regards to motive, assumptions and feelings, yes, I do. I am engaging in personal speculation, and only speculation, which is why I have not yet laid any blame on anyone except the gunman himself, and encourage people to hold off on linking the types of people you mentioned into any kind of responsibility role. When facts become available that either debunk or confirm my speculation, I will proceed from there.

Were you expecting something else? Believe me, this is one thing I would love to be shown to be incorrect on.

EDIT: I see now you directed this at SOAD and not myself, but I'll keep my post here because it demonstrates my position at this time.

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is an incredible tragedy. But I suppose we can all take comfort in the fact that SOAD has already figured out who is to blame.
You know, there is an unsolved murder right here in Mentor on the Lake, Ohio. Maybe he can point the police in the right direction.

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0