Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What I've seen of fundamentalists is their all-consuming passion for the inerrancy of Scripture, Bible doctrine, and defending such things. And also rejecting heresies with fervor.

It feels a little excessive at times, in my opinion, but I can't help but see them as well-meaning Biblical Christians who are passionate about their LORD.

Taking the Bible literally is the pathway to fundamentalism, I believe. Believe the Bible is completely true from cover to cover, and you'll be a fundie in no time.

What are your thoughts?

• Agree
Reactions: joyfullyobey

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is a way that seems right to a man but the end thereof is death.

When you get away from God's Word as being your primary authority you get all kinds of weird stuff happening.

Exactly. E.g.

1. Embracing LGBTQ+ members into the church.
2. Hyper-Charismatic demonic mumbo-jumbo.
3. Hatred of tough Bible doctrines.
4. Churchtainment.

etc.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jimmy Carter wrote “Fundamentalism, means the thinker is absolutely sure he is right ... you don't want to learn new facts, because they might disturb your previous opinions. You become convinced that your truths have come from God and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, and the next step is that they're inferior, and the ultimate case is they are subhuman. That leads to a lot of the persecution in the world.”

As Carter suggests here, fundamentalism can be found in every belief system, I have even met a few fundamentalist atheists.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jimmy Carter wrote “Fundamentalism, means the thinker is absolutely sure he is right ... you don't want to learn new facts, because they might disturb your previous opinions. You become convinced that your truths have come from God and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, and the next step is that they're inferior, and the ultimate case is they are subhuman. That leads to a lot of the persecution in the world.”

As Carter suggests here, fundamentalism can be found in every belief system, I have even met a few fundamentalist atheists.

I take Bible fundamentalism to mean that we aren't the 'absolutely right,' but the Bible is just that, absolutely right.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I've seen of fundamentalists is their all-consuming passion for the inerrancy of Scripture, Bible doctrine, and defending such things. And also rejecting heresies with fervor.

It feels a little excessive at times, in my opinion, but I can't help but see them as well-meaning Biblical Christians who are passionate about their LORD.

Taking the Bible literally is the pathway to fundamentalism, I believe. Believe the Bible is completely true from cover to cover, and you'll be a fundie in no time.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks for calling us crazy. ^_^

Notice smiley I am not insulted.

I would recommend reading up on the history of fundamentalism from the late 19th century. I have a thread in this forum on it:

Have Fundamentalists Forgotten What Fundamentalism Is?

Not as crazy as one would think. The original fundamentalists were godly men and women who loved the Lord and knew the Holy Scriptures were of supernatural origin by inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Here is my lead in to the thread I posted above:

What exactly is Fundamentalism? Is it the main stream media caricature of snake handling Westburo Baptist rubes American Taliban? Well that seems to be what the secular Left would love to paint Fundamentalists. So where did this characterization or label come from. The actual history should be made clear.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi, Jackrt. You have been advised of this in the past:

Community Rules
All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules. In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against its theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for calling us crazy. ^_^

Notice smiley I am not insulted.

I would recommend reading up on the history of fundamentalism from the late 19th century. I have a thread in this forum on it:

Have Fundamentalists Forgotten What Fundamentalism Is?

Not as crazy as one would think. The original fundamentalists were godly men and women who loved the Lord and knew the Holy Scriptures were of supernatural origin by inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Here is my lead in to the thread I posted above:

What exactly is Fundamentalism? Is it the main stream media caricature of snake handling Westburo Baptist rubes American Taliban? Well that seems to be what the secular Left would love to paint Fundamentalists. So where did this characterization or label come from. The actual history should be made clear.

Jesus was the first fundamentalist. Not only was he preaching about the Truth, he was preaching about Himself, for He is the Truth. Then after that, it's the Apostles. etc.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
godly men and women who loved the Lord and knew the Holy Scriptures were of supernatural origin by inspiration of the Holy Spirit
Wait a minute. That's the normal Christian view. :=)

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Notice carefully: they interpret many passages figuratively and allegorically when they need to. They are not actually literalists as people assume.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Notice carefully: they interpret many passages figuratively and allegorically when they need to. They are not actually literalists as people assume.

We all need to do something better than either of these extremes. We need to listen, in a humble way, and not be thinking of whatever doctrine (even if correct!), so that instead of talking (mentally thinking about a doctrine) we can quiet our minds, and let the scripture do all of the talking, not Pastor Rex nor theologian Ralph, etc. Listening, we get surprised by the real, deeper meanings waiting for us to be humble enough to really hear.

Then instead of useless arguing about trivial things, we get something invaluable.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all need to do something better than either of these extremes. We need to listen, in a humble way, and not be thinking of whatever doctrine (even if correct!), so that instead of talking (mentally thinking about a doctrine) we can quiet our minds, and let the scripture do all of the talking, not Pastor Rex nor theologian Ralph, etc. Listening, we get surprised by the real, deeper meanings waiting for us to be humble enough to really hear.

Then instead of useless arguing about trivial things, we get something invaluable.
The Fundamentals of the Christian faith you mean?

That's how they got their name in the early 20th century. :)

Upvote 0