Illinois
✟173,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I get my school work done as soon as possible, right after class. From my experience this is a faster way than cramming it at the end of night or last minute which I used to do a lot. Probably will take you an hour or so maybe more or less depending on your workload. Try doing a bit of the homework between classes if you can or on the car ride home.

Then you have free time the rest of the day.

• Agree
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm pretty lucky on account of having a job that lets me get a lot of stuff done for school. I work for a lab on campus. All I do is swipe ID cards, greet folks, that sort of thing. I'm allowed to have my books out, laptop out, do what I need to do. Most of my posts here are from when I'm at work, lol, & just taking a study break. This helps me a lot with the fun & work balance. I have to come to work anyways, might as well make use of the time & kill 2 birds with 1 stone. It means that I rarely ever need to find any time in my schedule to study. I can use all my time when I'm not in class or working however I want. Since I'm sitting on my butt most of the time I'm in class or at work I'm motivated to spend all my free time doing something fun. I enjoy working out with buddies. My girlfriend is finishing up school down in Mississippi so I don't go to too many Greek parties on account of how she's sort of the jealous type, lol. I'm looking forward to her moving back to Atlanta this year.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,943.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Depends on your studies! Mine doesn't give me any free time, so I have to find other ways to have fun (I clearly cannot have any activity other than studying). The best way is to work with friends, to be with friends, chat with them or have sometimes a fun evening with them in a more general way. Making of your homework a fun task is the best way to deal with studies! I would say fun mostly is a state of mind!
This is the only way I found to manage to have fun while studying so much. Friendship is the key to success!

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
How much "fun" you have depends on (1) how difficult your course is and (2) what grades you expect to get.

I graduated with 160 hours, my course load was INSANE, I majored in Math and Physics and I was a full time athlete as well and on top of all of that I had a girlfriend...

I went out and partied 90% of my Friday and Saturday Nights

How?

Ruthless, and I mean absolutely brutal, ruthless, and merciless time management.

I estimated how long each task I had would take and I made a schedule that would make an OCD Nazi nun proud...

I broke my day into 15 minute, 30 minute, and 60 minute chunks of time. I carried my homework EVERYWHERE with me and I did my homework and or studying EVERYWHERE to include standing in line, sitting on the toilet, eating, in class during class after class...

I scheduled time I'd spend talking to my friends, family, girlfriend. If I spent a Saturday with my girlfriend, I'd have 4 or 5 hours of that day scheduled for studying. I'd do most of it while she slept or watched her favorite program or sometimes we'd do homework together as a "date".

I scheduled time I would rest and nap and do nothing.

And I absolutely LOVED getting ahead on my schedule. If I finished a task early, I'd jump right in to the next task then the next.

I would also decide how much time and effort it would take to get an A or a B or a C.

Here is an example. I was almost fluent in Spanish and I had to take 2 semesters of a foreign language. So I choose Spanish and I purposefully tanked the entrance exam so I could take Spanish 101 and 201 which would result in an Easy A for me. I had to take some hard Electrical Engineering courses and I realized that in order to get an A, I'd have to study about 10 hours per week just for that one course, but if I wanted a B I'd only have to study around 6 hours per week--so i would make the strategic choice early for the B and schedule accordingly.

I was careful to not overload myself on "hard courses" and I was very strategic in my hard course load. I would try to limit myself to no more than 3 really hard courses per semester. For instance, I made sure my hard Math Courses coincided with my hard Physics Courses in a complimentary way... in essence the overlap was such that I would get taught the same concepts in both classes so in a way I'm taking the same class twice which means I can reduce my overall study time by 25% or so based on the overlap...

and on top of all of that, I ran Track, did Boxing, was in a Martial Arts club, and Chess Club.

so yes, it is possible to go to college, have a great GPA, and party

The key is brutal crazy OCD time management as well as laser like focus in class. No day dreaming, no wasted time. Keep great notes, be brutally efficient in everything you do learning related. Once you get ahead it is easy to stay ahead.

Upvote 0