Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been thinking a little about this, that if we (I) embrace the consistent hermeneutic that results in so called "full" preterist views, on the surface it appears to come against parts of what is called the apostles creed.

Especially, the part that says "from thence" he shall come to judge the quick and the dead...

But as I researched what I thought was an early catholic church (Nicene) creed, I found that this was supposedly originated with the Apostles themselves.
From Wickipedia:
The title, Symbolum Apostolicum (Symbol or Creed of the Apostles), appears for the first time in a letter from a Council in Milan (probably written by Ambrose himself) to Pope Siricius in about 390: "Let them give credit to the Creed of the Apostles, which the Roman Church has always kept and preserved undefiled".But what existed at that time was not what is now known as the Apostles' Creed but a shorter statement of belief that, for instance, did not include the phrase "maker of heaven and earth", a phrase that may have been inserted only in the seventh century.
The legend that this creed, the forerunner and principal source of the Apostles' Creed, had been jointly created by the Apostles under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, with each of the twelve contributing one of the articles, was already current at that time.
The concept of the physical/bodily return of Christ in some future time violates some other stated principles and doctrines in the Scriptures.

1 from Jeremiah 31:
35Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: 36If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.
37Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.
Here above, we read that as long as the earth continues to enjoy the seasons of the sun and moon, the reborn sons of God "like" the individual re-named Israel (not national/corporal, old covenant Israel) will not depart from under the heavens. These are the saints of the son of man; saints of the most high; of all nations/languages/tongues who received the dominion of the everlasting kingdom as described at the end of Daniel 7.

A futurist may be inclined to say that the new covenant has not been established; the the vast evidence is to the contrary, including the ending judgment on the old conditional covenant cause by the effect of the blood and will of the new covenant being finished.

Some futurist may be inclined to picture in his mind a global 'kingdom' ruled by Christ sitting on a throne where the nation of Israel (and perhaps those who support a restored old covenant Israel) co-rules with him with a rod of iron, similar to the old covenant law. This is no different from what the Pharisaic Jews sought and what caused them to disbelieve in the Atoning sacrifice of the son of man and the fulfillment of the covenants and prophecies about Christ. This perspective is also part of what drives the continued changing and making of laws that oppress and enslave.

2nd. In 1 John,
1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of Antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
There are "scholars" who say that the emphasis of the phrase "in the flesh" implies a teaching against gnosticism which denied some of the physical/bodily actual living breathing incarnation of Christ into the human realm; This is also some of what is said about parts of the apostles creed.

However true this MAY be or whatever information this MAY add, one absolutely cannot miss the information/fact that the 2nd perfect tense of the words "IS COME" indicate a once and done activity or event with the same tense used as uttered at the crucifiction when Christ said, "It is finished".

Third:. Paul says to those in 60 AD
6But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
7Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
8But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Here Paul is quoting from Deut 30 which came after the restoration from Babylon and after the circumcision of the heart through faith in the love poured out to individuals through the incarnation and the atoning sacrifice.

He says, the word (Jesus) is near thee, even in their words and in their heart...This would be referring to the Person of Christ in the Person of the Holy Spirit indwelling as John 14-16 re-iterates.

Back to the Apostles Creed..... With the same hermeneutic of considering original audience relevance; one must consider the historical and consonantal circumstances of the original "creed" makers. From whence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead did occure when the judgment empowered from HIM (GOD) from heaven happened against the end fruit of the oppression of the law, in favor of the saints of the most high and the covenant of mercy/law of love as described in Dan 7:26; 27.

John also was given implication that He would live till Jesus came.... (not that he would not die) ....Jesus said.. what if I would that he remain (alive) till I come; what is that to you....? And John did live till Jesus came 'through the minds of the leaders of the enemies as he fore-ordained the thoughts and actions of the Romans soldiers and commanders from Heaven in 66-70 AD. This was his coming in the enforcement of the enactment of the Laws of the new covenant from Heaven that were fully empowered by the atonement of Christ and the establishment of righteousness by faith for those who believe.

And John also lived till Jesus came for him a second time at the end of his life. (perhaps living through numerous presences)

Thus, again, back the Apostles creed; It is not the preterist who is the heretic against the apostles creed; because a preterist can understand the original pre-desolation, pre-latter end judgment of old conditional covenant atmoshphere in which the words were spoken. But, perhaps those who would see the creed as doctrine in it's preset form yet looking to a near future bodily coming might stand in danger of entertaining false doctine, untruth, and even lies from the serpent of babylon.

If a preterist were to be able to alter the creed to reflect present doctirne (not saying that they should) they might change the words perhaps to something like this: and he ascended into heaven from where this same Jesus as God himself administered judgment and judged (judges) (between) the quick and the dead.....

Judgment has been established in favor of the saints of the son of man and the kingdom of Peace; The struggle is to live in that kingdom, walking in commands and Rest of the Spirit and being ready to answer those who inquire of the hope that lies within us.

This thread is about as radical and thought provoking as I've written and yet I may not interact with responses in a timely manner. I wanted to write it for those who might not consider the 'full' preterism of finished written prophecy or the appearing and coming of Christ from Heaven due to the apostles creed.

Preterists would likely affirm the apostles creed, but understand and interpret it in the light of the historical and covenant contextual setting of the original creedmakers.

Jesus said: I have come that you might have hope of being raptured from your struggle at any time..... NO....
Jesus said, I have come that you might have LIFE in all it's abundance.....INCLUDING making positive impacts into the lives and futures of others...not watching for the end of this world and hoping for it's destruction and struggles.

Last edited:

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If a preterist were to be able to alter the creed to reflect present doctirne (not saying that they should) they might change the words perhaps to something like this: and he ascended into heaven from where this same Jesus as God himself administered judgment and judged (judges) (between) the quick and the dead.....
LLOJ subscribes :wave:

2 Timothy 4:1 Thru-witnessing then I, before the God and the Lord Jesus Christ, of the being-about/mellontoV <3195> (5723) to be judging living and dead according as the appearance/manifestation of Him and the Kingdom of Him [Reve 11:18]

Reve 11:18 And the nations are angered, and came Thy wrath, and the Time of the dead to be judged, and to give the wages to Thy Bond-servants, the prophets, and to the Saints, and to those fearing Thy name, the small, and the great. And to blight the ones blighting the land

http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=7131625&page=3
2 Timothy 4:1 translation

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Glorthac

Jul 12, 2009
✟1,085.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It's funny you quote John 21:22 to support your belief, when the next verse is one of the verses that convinced me preterism was false. John 21:23:
Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what [is that] to thee?

Upvote 0

consigliere31

Jan 6, 2010
British Columbia
✟15,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
2nd. In 1 John,
There are "scholars" who say that the emphasis of the phrase "in the flesh" implies a teaching against gnosticism which denied some of the physical/bodily actual living breathing incarnation of Christ into the human realm; This is also some of what is said about parts of the apostles creed.

However true this MAY be or whatever information this MAY add, one absolutely cannot miss the information/fact that the 2nd perfect tense of the words "IS COME" indicate a once and done activity or event with the same tense used as uttered at the crucifiction when Christ said, "It is finished".

What an excellent read, I am glad I have found this forum, as it is the first one I have ever been on that I have encountered fellowship with those who share likeminded views of the full preterism theology.

Those scholars are claiming other sources to validate this gnostism argument, they certainly do not derive at this through an exegesis of the passage itself.

The entire chapter is devoted to those who have Christ dwelling in them, and has nothing to do with Jesus coming in His own fleshly body and walking the earth. Not that I am denying that Christ did in fact walk the earth for 33 years in a human body of flesh. I am just saying that the passage has nothing to do with this being an argument from John in regards to gnostics who may or may not deny that Christ had a human body of flesh. Nor is it even the purpose of John's writing in his letter.

This is written solely for discerning the spirit within each man and whether that individual man himself confesses that Christ 'is come', and is dwelling in their body of flesh. This is what John is saying.

1 John 4:4
4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What an excellent read, I am glad I have found this forum, as it is the first one I have ever been on that I have encountered fellowship with those who share likeminded views of the full preterism theology.

Those scholars are claiming other sources to validate this gnostism argument, they certainly do not derive at this through an exegesis of the passage itself.

The entire chapter is devoted to those who have Christ dwelling in them, and has nothing to do with Jesus coming in His own fleshly body and walking the earth. Not that I am denying that Christ did in fact walk the earth for 33 years in a human body of flesh. I am just saying that the passage has nothing to do with this being an argument from John in regards to gnostics who may or may not deny that Christ had a human body of flesh. Nor is it even the purpose of John's writing in his letter.

This is written solely for discerning the spirit within each man and whether that individual man himself confesses that Christ 'is come', and is dwelling in their body of flesh. This is what John is saying.

1 John 4:4
4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
:thumbsup: Great posts from both of you! Thank you so much for that :wave:

Upvote 0

consigliere31

Jan 6, 2010
British Columbia
✟15,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
:thumbsup: Great posts from both of you! Thank you so much for that :wave:

Blessings to you LLOJ, you gotta love John's writings, each time we dive into them, they reveal deeper spiritual realities to us concerning Christ and His kingdom.

I see the letters that John has written as a confirmation in themselves of the presently manifested Messiah's kingdom.

Take a look at this prophecy concerning the Messiah's kingdom from Jeremiah 31 as well..

34 No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,"
declares the LORD.
"For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."

Now read John's confirmation of the fulfillment of this very prophecy. in his first letter chapter 2

12I write to you, dear children,
because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.
13I write to you, fathers,
because you have known him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.
I write to you, dear children,
because you have known the Father.
14I write to you, fathers,
because you have known him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
because you are strong,
and the word of God lives in you,
and you have overcome the evil one.

hear we see these prophecies fulfilled, from the greatest(strong young men and fathers) to the least(the children)

and further in his chapter John writes..

27As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit&#8212;just as it has taught you, remain in him.

The parallels are obvious for me that John is writing for the purpose of revealing a fulfilled prophecy.

and his quoted remark spoken to him, in his revelation in chapter 19

Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

Upvote 0

sciotamicks

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
✟15,126.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Little Lamb of Jesus.

I have been reading many of your posts and have been lurking for quite some time. I was not aware this forum allowed FP views, but from what I see it is permitted in certain areas, and those areas I will remain in regards to that view.

We are going to have many great talks I presume. Time to sharpen the iron.
We are going to need it sharp after 2012. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks Little Lamb of Jesus.

I have been reading many of your posts and have been lurking for quite some time. I was not aware this forum allowed FP views, but from what I see it is permitted in certain areas, and those areas I will remain in regards to that view.

We are going to have many great talks I presume. Time to sharpen the iron.
We are going to need it sharp after 2012. ;)
Thank you for your kind words.
Yes, Full Preterism is relegated to this board, which is ok with me as it can be tough trying to explain our view on the Eschatology board, especially with the confused "Partial Preterists" :)
God bless

Upvote 0