provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Kind of an oxymoron. Does anyone ever get the feeling that they want to be doing more and should be doing more, but opportunities aren't there, or are being missed? How do you overcome these stagnant periods? Prayer? Simply being present around friends and family? A hobby that reaches out to others? Study? Do you go seeking or wait for the opportunities to fall on your lap, so to speak?

I want to be doing more, but its like I'm in a rut and all I can really do is pray and study since nobody's around atm. :( :idea::|:scratch::swoon:

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am in between voluntary jobs at the moment (since the end of March). I check the (volunteer) site everyday but so far nothing speaks to me. It has been a great time of rest, recuperation and spiritual growth though. I used to get frustrated in periods like this but it has been really good for me this time.
There is never a shortage of people to pray for so that is a useful service. I know some people don't like petitioning the Lord with prayer because everything is according to His divine arrangement but I like to think that my humble prayers might be a teeny part of His plan. Open Doors always has so many stories of persecuted Christians to pray for and then there's the news...eek!

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know some people don't like petitioning the Lord with prayer because everything is according to His divine arrangement but I like to think that my humble prayers might be a teeny part of His plan

Awesome! :) never stop praying. Ephesians 6:17-18

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We all could probably be doing more for the Lord. If one is not house or bed bound I guess the first thing to do after prayer is to get out and around those we can be a blessing to. As I have found in my life of not having any friends around from previous years due to much moving I have to get off my butt and out of my comfort zone and get the most amount of exposure as possible to potential friends AND take the initiative of making the first step. It is NOT easy but "I CAN do all things through Christ" who strengtheneth me. As said above there are many volunteer opportunities in our communities and even a free museum, the beach, mall, grocery store, movie theater, park, any where is a potential place to be used of God. Seek and ye shall find. But pray first and ask God to prepare you and other's hearts (and heads) and souls and show you the opportunities. The great commission of Matt 28:19 begins with our action, the imperative command to "Go." If you are unable to physically go, then you can do a LOT online. There are unlimited and urgent opportunities to voice the Christian perspective in secular arenas all over the world. And I see that you are able to do that if you so chose. You would be surprised how fast a day can expire, like you got up and got sucked into a black hole, when you get engaged like this. It is amazing.

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Prayer and fasting are my favorite tools. Also, I really think it's all in Gods timing. No matter how hard I try, I can't be doing more unless God enables me to do so. We must tell God we want to serve Him and he will make it happen, but not on our time, on HIS time.

• Agree
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Our first task should always be seeing to our own spiritual formation. If we become like Christ, people will naturally be attracted to what we have to say, and will be asking us.

And as others said, prayer for others is something we can, and should, be engaged in.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kind of an oxymoron. Does anyone ever get the feeling that they want to be doing more and should be doing more, but opportunities aren't there, or are being missed? How do you overcome these stagnant periods? Prayer? Simply being present around friends and family? A hobby that reaches out to others? Study? Do you go seeking or wait for the opportunities to fall on your lap, so to speak?

I want to be doing more, but its like I'm in a rut and all I can really do is pray and study since nobody's around atm. :( :idea::|:scratch::swoon:

FWIW, my (long) answer is going to be out of left field since it reflects what has now been a twice in a lifetime experience for me.

Pushing about ten years ago, over a period of about 6 months, I went from being highly active in a number of ministries of various types to nothing. At that point, I'd been a serious Christian for over 30 years. It was weird because it was like everything I had been active in just vanished away and it was like everything I wanted to volunteer for was either already full or went inactive. Even my job turned into a giant dead end where I couldn't do anything. I ran through the gamut of things trying to figure out the reason why, spiritual attack, unconfessed sin, waiting for open doors for something new, and kept coming up blank. The only thing I was spiritually convinced of was that I was not supposed to just be active for the sake of being active but that I would somehow know what was right. As it turned out, I ended up waiting for a few years, and it was for the right thing.

In a nutshell, God had put me out in a figurative desert away from everything. I had spent my entire life creating my identity around stuff I was doing. I was a teacher, a campus minister, a worship leader, a Christian musician, etc. God took me away from all of it for my own good. Over a period of a year or two, He kept putting me in front of the mirror until I finally realized I had no clue who I really was. I could only see things I was doing and rating my value as a Christian on how much fruit I was bearing. I had in essence long ago succumbed to the idea that there was no good thing in me and that it must always be Christ that liveth in me. I had become an eclectic amalgam of masks that I put on in every different situations according to what a good Christian was "supposed" to be. I was a good son, a good husband, a good father, a good teacher, a good employee, etc. etc. I had been doing this so long, I could no longer see my true face in a mirror. God took me away from all of this and forced me to quit putting on the masks every day.

What God started doing over a period of a year or so was working on me to see that He had made me a unique person meant to reflect His glory in a way unique to me. One of the most shocking things to me doctrinally occurred when I saw a serious word study on the word "heart" in scripture. (I wrote this up in more detail in my CF blog.) I found that the only two verses I had locked in my memory were "the heart is deceitful and beyond cure" and "the thoughts of the heart were only evil all the time". Much to my surprise, I found that I had confused "heart" with sin-nature and assumed that they were the same. I found that word studies on heart mean that it basically meant our personality, our inward thoughts and volition, and was an entirely different concept than sin-nature. Verses such as "But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop." (Luke 8:15 NIV) surprised me and then I found that there were literally dozens of verses in scripture where the heart is considered a good thing. I had spent my Christian life suppressing who God intended me to be in a misguided attempt to starve my sin-nature. Every time the real me who God intended me to be started waking up, I took it to be selfishness and sin and did my best to make sure it stayed in its place so that I'd be more Christ-like. It took the better part of a few years to break this way of thinking and to indeed let God slowly awaken and revive the person He meant me to be.

After this, I emerged much stronger spiritually and started feeling like ministry was naturally flowing from me even when I was not trying to do anything. Much of the stress and worry and pressure was gone, and I was simply enjoying doing things. It was like I was just sitting back, being myself, and watching God do stuff. I also started seeing people so differently. Instead of worrying about sin, whether they were bearing enough fruit, and how help them become more active and fruitful for God, I started seeing people as unique treasures and works of art of the Almighty. I started wondering what special person was hiding inside under the exterior and what it would take to start pulling the masks off and see who they really were. Instead of seeing them (and myself) through the filter of what they should be doing for God to accomplish something useful for the Kingdom, I started seeing them as being valuable simply because of who God made them to be and that it is God's concern about what is "accomplished".

I guess that's a very long answer that sometimes stagnant periods are God putting us into the desert to be away from everything so we can be changed in some way we are not expecting. For me, such an extended period resulted in what is probably the most profound change I've seen in my spiritual walk.

Upvote 0

Sea Horse

Aug 28, 2017
Kielce , Świętokrzyskie
✟8,647.00
Country
Belarus
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

I don't know , humans always want something for doing something , you make fruit by helping others sacrificing your own time to do something . In God's eyes everything that he gave you on earth belongs to him , but the only thing he can't do to you is to force you to do something because you have free will . You bring fruit by using your limited time here on earth , insteed of yourself you use it to help others .

You can do it by donating cash , prayer , non-profit jobs , helping sick , visiting hopeless people in prisons .
If you force yourself to prayer then don't do it because it's pointless , but maybe you like to sing so you can sing in your church or play some instrument . Maybe you can't do anything but only care about cash , then it's good way to get rid of cash addiction and bring fruit by donating to non-profit organisations or food banks .

Sometimes we don't want to help because we are just selfish humans let's be realistic . Solomon for example had hundreds of wifes and was rich that he had everything that he wanted , moreover God gave him wisdom but yet having all that he still turned away from God because it's just our nature .

You can grow fruit little by little so you don't get upset about it , for example if you sit 15 min on forum and don't really care about wasting these 15 min , then you should not care of wasting 15 min of your work aswell , by that i mean get what you are paid per hour and divide it on 60 multiple it per how many minutes you don't care about and give it to some poor .

So that would be for example (20$ /60) * 15 = 5$
Go and donate that little by little , if you can watch stupid youtube videos for 1 hour then you don't really care that you just wasted that hour worth of 20$ , next time just work that hour and send 20$ to poor .

Upvote 0

Little Lantern

Be encouraged! Christ has overcome the world!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2017
USA
✟223,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone ever get the feeling that they want to be doing more and should be doing more, but opportunities aren't there, or are being missed?
I am right where you are, friend of! I haven't come to any conclusions yet because I'm still praying and working out my thoughts on this. It is agonizing, but I believe God is using this season to make me look deeper at myself to learn the correct relationship between being and doing-- and wondering if sometimes the LORD wills that we simply be rather than do. In that case the being would be doing, in obedience to the LORD.

I used to be the type of person who was involved in all kinds of good activities and ministries-- and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. There were very few nights that I wasn't doing church work or volunteering in my community. Now, after more years than I want to count, I am at home, isolated, and feeling empty-handed. I am in good health, have great energy, and even greater motivation-- just not sure what that energy is to be directed toward. I do pray and study Scripture, I'm involved in a ladies' Bible study group, and I've joined CF in hopes of being an encouragement to the Body of Christ here.

When I look back at all my previous activity, although it was good, I wonder how much of it was actually God-led. Were any precious jewels produced then, or will I be staring down at a pile of ashes? My greatest concern is that I will jump out ahead of God and miss Him. Like I said, I'm still working with Him on this, and I know He is with me. His Presence is key.

The good news is that He loves us! Don't forget that! We are still growing in Him and our desire is to please Him. May He be glorified as we yield our lives to His purpose .

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0