United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi, friends,

I was wondering if anybody knew the distance (ballpark figure) from San Francisco to Platina (to St. Herman's Monastery). Hubby and I looked on the CA map a few days ago with regards to this, but not sure the distance or best way to travel if we do, and also it seems St. John's Monastery is even further north.

We are hoping to travel to San Fran to venerate St. John's relics some time this coming end of May into early June.

Any suggestions or info would be helpful. Thanks. :wave:

Reactions: Protoevangel

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is quite a drive. California is a massive state measured north-south. It is about 4 hours from San Fran to Manton (the Monastery of St. John), and that can get quite a bit longer if there's snow (and this time of year there tends to be) as the final leg uses switchbacks to go up and down some steep hills.

I don't know the route to Plantina, but google-maps places it around the same time - just on the other side of Redding.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is quite a drive. California is a massive state measured north-south. It is about 4 hours from San Fran to Manton (the Monastery of St. John), and that can get quite a bit longer if there's snow (and this time of year there tends to be) as the final leg uses switchbacks to go up and down some steep hills.

I don't know the route to Plantina, but google-maps places it around the same time - just on the other side of Redding.
Is there still snow around that area at the end of May, early June?

I hope this question doesn't sound bad, but I don't know how else to put it. Is the drive up to St. John's Monastery or Platina worth the 4 hours, or should we just stick with the Cathedral in San Fran where St. John's relics are, and take in some of the local activities (which we plan to do anyhow). I wonder if visiting either of those places requires a call or reservation.

Upvote 0

27B6

Veteran
Oct 14, 2006
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi Dorothea,

I've never been there but here's a google map with driving directions from the Bay area to the monastery for you. It's 248 miles and a 4.5 hour drive (depending on road conditions but I'd imagine late May should be fine driving) :)

San Francisco, CA to Brotherhood of St Hrmn Alsk - Google Maps

Cheers!
Patrick

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
its definitely worth it to visit the monasteries! after visiting St. John you can then go visit his spiritual child Fr. Seraphim, and the monastery named after him! I would definitely contact them in advance.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Both monasteries are well worth visiting. I don't know the brotherhood at Patina except by reputation, but the brotherhood at St. John's monastery is just fantastic. Beautiful area too.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, jck and Macarius. I have met the Abbott of St. John's on 2 occasions - when he was doing a speaking engagement at our sister church and up at another sister church around our area a couple years ago. He's awesome. :)

I haven't finished the book on Fr. Seraphim yet...I'm in the high 800s. :D So, jck, is Fr. Seraphim buried at St. Herman's brotherhood/monastery?

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks, jck and Macarius. I have met the Abbott of St. John's on 2 occasions - when he was doing a speaking engagement at our sister church and up at another sister church around our area a couple years ago. He's awesome. :)

I haven't finished the book on Fr. Seraphim yet...I'm in the high 800s. :D So, jck, is Fr. Seraphim buried at St. Herman's brotherhood/monastery?
Yes he is.

Here's a short video of the monastery grounds and Fr Seraphim's gravesite.

St. Herman of Alaska Monastery 2/5 - YouTube

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was reading the OP and saw "San Francisco" and "ballpark." Man, I'm in the mood for some Giants baseball now! :cool::thumbsup:
^_^ I'm starting to get the baseball fever too. :p

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
there is no snow yet...it is about four hour drive north from where I live and san fran is about 1 hour give or take traffic south of me
But there isn't usually snow there in May or June, is there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My fiancee and I just visited the relics of St. John a few weeks ago. The weather in San Francisco was beautiful, we were outside most of the day and felt great.

Make sure you're on time for a service for the Cathedral. They're almost all entirely in Slavonic, but I'm sure you can follow along anyway. On Saturdays at or five thirty (it's on the website, but I can't recall the time exactly) there's a service to St. John. Honestly, that's probably the best time to visit. The website says the Cathedral is open for half an hour before and after the services for the day but that's not true (or at least, wasn't for us). Try to be there for a service.

The relics are amazing. A sense of holiness still pervades his...idk, 'shrine'? The Cathedral itself is gorgeous too. You have to pay for parking out front on Geary St. but that's not too bad, just bring quarters (I can't remember if those machines took cards or not.)

On another note the best view of the Golden Gate bridge, IMO, is from Lincoln Park, Fisherman's Wharf is a lot of fun even though it's totally touristy, and if it's too cold hot chocolate at Ghirardelli Square is good times too.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My fiancee and I just visited the relics of St. John a few weeks ago. The weather in San Francisco was beautiful, we were outside most of the day and felt great.

Make sure you're on time for a service for the Cathedral. They're almost all entirely in Slavonic, but I'm sure you can follow along anyway. On Saturdays at or five thirty (it's on the website, but I can't recall the time exactly) there's a service to St. John. Honestly, that's probably the best time to visit. The website says the Cathedral is open for half an hour before and after the services for the day but that's not true (or at least, wasn't for us). Try to be there for a service.

The relics are amazing. A sense of holiness still pervades his...idk, 'shrine'? The Cathedral itself is gorgeous too. You have to pay for parking out front on Geary St. but that's not too bad, just bring quarters (I can't remember if those machines took cards or not.)

On another note the best view of the Golden Gate bridge, IMO, is from Lincoln Park, Fisherman's Wharf is a lot of fun even though it's totally touristy, and if it's too cold hot chocolate at Ghirardelli Square is good times too.
Thanks so much for this info, Joseph. We'll be, God willing, going there at the end of May, into early June, so I'm guessing it would be warm. :)

Thanks for the information on parking and on when to be at the services. It's very helpful!

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single