From Atheist to Christian & What Movie/Music is Fine for a Christian?

Elias Lazorus

Oct 5, 2015
✟15,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good day/night members of Christian Forums.

[1.1] If you are interested as to what caused me to abandon Atheism and walk back to Christianity, then you may read on. Otherwise, if you're just interested with answering my question, conveniently press "Ctrl+F" on your keyboard and type in "[1.2]"

As an Atheist (and we all know how atheists are), I always used logic and facts to disprove the supernatural and the Holy Bible. I was an Atheist for two years. By then, I was convinced that there is no God and the Bible is ridiculous, but there was always this voice in the back of my head and a fear lingering in my heart both whispering to me, "What if you are wrong and God actually exists? You will spend your afterlife in Hell."

Last night, I went on a website claiming that the Revelation prophecies are coming true. Oddly enough, even though I was still an Atheist at that time, somewhere in the back of my mind I had the same idea in mind. There are tons of websites in the internet with "end-time prophecy fulfilled" topics, so at first I thought, "But this is probably just one of those."

I read one article, I was impressed that its message and the ideas I had in mind matched. Some (or many) may find this absurd or ridiculous (a "troll" post even), but the prophecies being fulfilled are: first (if I'm not mistaken) of the four blood moons, the beast out of the earth (America), and the beast out of the water (the Papacy).

Revelation 13:3,11-12 ...'And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast ... And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.'

What does the 'world wondering after Pope Francis' tell us about him? There is a mass following of the pope today. Not only are there over a billion (comprised of Catholics, Christians, and even Atheists are liking him) following this man. World leaders, church leaders, religious leaders and politicians are also heaping high praise upon Pope Francis and hanging on his every word.

I hope that I have made a clear point. This precision cannot be a coincidence. I was unable to reason/disprove my way out of this one. Now, what do you think?

[1.2] I've deleted all the movies and most of the metal music saved in my laptop. The movies I liked to watch were mainly slasher movies filled with gore and violence, and horror movies filled with representations of evil forces. I've also decided to delete the Action movies. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. However, as a child of God, I believe God would tell me, "Okay, the protagonist is murdering these cruel men. That's a violation of my seventh out of ten commandments, and you find it entertaining?"

The entire metal music industry is not satanic. Yes, I know that. There are some bands out there comprised of members who do not believe in God, but I believe their music is fine for Christian ears because the lyrics to their songs neither worship Satan nor disrespect God. I believe that the songs I loved shouldn't be loved by a Christian. I asked myself, "What if Jesus himself were to read the lyrics to every single one of these songs? He'll find that the lyrics are either pertaining to Satanic worship, or different kinds of ungodliness."

This brings me to my question: what sort of movies and music is fine for a Christian?

Currently, I've decided to start listening to Skillet (a Christian rock band) instead. I've also been listening to several Christian heavy metal bands (like Stryper, Living Sacrifice, As I Lay Dying, etc.) searching for ones that would match my taste.

As per movies, I'll be searching Christian movies. I'm not happy with restricting myself to Christian movies for the rest of my life. I want to know what else I'm allowed to watch without upsetting God.

Thank you for reading!

Reactions: Deidre32

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
:hi:

Welcome to CF. My name is Kristen. I hope you enjoy your time here. There is a lot to see around the board.

If you have any questions about how things work around here, feel free to head over to the Questions about CF or the CF How-To areas.

Should you be struggling with something, you can probably find help in the Ask a Chaplin area (anonymous), the Christian Advice (Christians only!) section or at the Prayer Wall.

If you are looking for specific congregational talk, you might enjoy our Christian Communities section.

There's a lot to talk about around CF. Feel free to jump right in.

If you have any questions, I'm around a lot. Go ahead and PM me any time!

:bye:

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Welcome to the forums!

First, whatever you read online about "prophecy being fulfilled," "blood moons," the Pope as the boogey man, etc is all nonsense. This sort of paranoid propaganda is not at the heart of the Christian faith, & it has nothing to do with what we hope for as followers of Jesus. My advice is to ignore whatever you read & avoid such websites in the future.

Second, I think you're fine with whatever movies or music you enjoy. I think it's wise to consider the content, but I would not go overboard, worrying about every aspect.

As far as specifically "Christian music" goes, I like traditional hymns & chants, but I don't care much for the "contemporary Christian music" radio type stuff. I really dislike most movies advertised as "Christian."

Let me know if I can offer any other guidance.

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, brother..what a beautiful testimony. Thank you for sharing that with us & Welcome to CF!
In regards to your questions:
Movies: Courageous, Fireproof, God's not dead, war room [out in theatres right now and I really want to watch it due to the great reviews it's gotten], and Facing the giants.
Songs: I recommend listening to the K-Love radio station [this link will let you listen on-line]. Most of these songs are popular right now and you can choose which ones you like as it keeps playing :)

Also, brother- please don't get discouraged if you should stumble in sin. Not that I encourage you to keep sinning, but that you keep pursuing God no matter what. New born believers are always attacked by the enemy. And the enemy likes to target your faith and instill doubt in your mind as soon as you sin or keep repeating the same sin. This makes the believer feel separated from God/like God no longer cares for them anymore. The fact is that He Himself wants you to keep persevering, keep pursuing Him, keep confessing and repenting [to restore fellowship with God]. Know that God is for you and not against you. And He wants to have a relationship with you [not just head knowledge of Him but to actually know Him for yourself]. I've written a few blog entries on here.

http://www.christianforums.com/xfa-blogs/spirit-reborn.378961/

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome @Elias Lazorus,

I'm happy to hear you've returned from Atheism. When considering music and movies you'll want to refrain from anything that can cause you to stumble. For me I would stay away from inappropriate contentographic movies, anything displaying sexual activity and music that expresses a similar theme. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me!

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good day/night members of Christian Forums.

[1.1] If you are interested as to what caused me to abandon Atheism and walk back to Christianity, then you may read on. Otherwise, if you're just interested with answering my question, conveniently press "Ctrl+F" on your keyboard and type in "[1.2]"

As an Atheist (and we all know how atheists are), I always used logic and facts to disprove the supernatural and the Holy Bible. I was an Atheist for two years. By then, I was convinced that there is no God and the Bible is ridiculous, but there was always this voice in the back of my head and a fear lingering in my heart both whispering to me, "What if you are wrong and God actually exists? You will spend your afterlife in Hell."

Last night, I went on a website claiming that the Revelation prophecies are coming true. Oddly enough, even though I was still an Atheist at that time, somewhere in the back of my mind I had the same idea in mind. There are tons of websites in the internet with "end-time prophecy fulfilled" topics, so at first I thought, "But this is probably just one of those."

I read one article, I was impressed that its message and the ideas I had in mind matched. Some (or many) may find this absurd or ridiculous (a "troll" post even), but the prophecies being fulfilled are: first (if I'm not mistaken) of the four blood moons, the beast out of the earth (America), and the beast out of the water (the Papacy).

Revelation 13:3,11-12 ...'And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast ... And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.'

What does the 'world wondering after Pope Francis' tell us about him? There is a mass following of the pope today. Not only are there over a billion (comprised of Catholics, Christians, and even Atheists are liking him) following this man. World leaders, church leaders, religious leaders and politicians are also heaping high praise upon Pope Francis and hanging on his every word.

I hope that I have made a clear point. This precision cannot be a coincidence. I was unable to reason/disprove my way out of this one. Now, what do you think?

[1.2] I've deleted all the movies and most of the metal music saved in my laptop. The movies I liked to watch were mainly slasher movies filled with gore and violence, and horror movies filled with representations of evil forces. I've also decided to delete the Action movies. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. However, as a child of God, I believe God would tell me, "Okay, the protagonist is murdering these cruel men. That's a violation of my seventh out of ten commandments, and you find it entertaining?"

The entire metal music industry is not satanic. Yes, I know that. There are some bands out there comprised of members who do not believe in God, but I believe their music is fine for Christian ears because the lyrics to their songs neither worship Satan nor disrespect God. I believe that the songs I loved shouldn't be loved by a Christian. I asked myself, "What if Jesus himself were to read the lyrics to every single one of these songs? He'll find that the lyrics are either pertaining to Satanic worship, or different kinds of ungodliness."

This brings me to my question: what sort of movies and music is fine for a Christian?

Currently, I've decided to start listening to Skillet (a Christian rock band) instead. I've also been listening to several Christian heavy metal bands (like Stryper, Living Sacrifice, As I Lay Dying, etc.) searching for ones that would match my taste.

As per movies, I'll be searching Christian movies. I'm not happy with restricting myself to Christian movies for the rest of my life. I want to know what else I'm allowed to watch without upsetting God.

Thank you for reading!
Congratulations on your new life! A wonderful choice you have made and won't regret it.

I'm sure you've heard of the adage 'garbage in garbage out' so you have already started on the right track.

Here is a bit of advise from one of the Bible writers that will help you to answer your own question

Finally, brethren,
whatever is true,
whatever is honorable,
whatever is right,
whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely,
whatever is of good repute,
if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
dwell on these things.

Upvote 0

Elias Lazorus

Oct 5, 2015
✟15,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, I appreciate the warm welcomes! Thank you! :) I wasn't really expecting this much.

New born believers are always attacked by the enemy.
@Spirit Reborn, you are absolutely correct on this one. I can feel Satan trying to win me back. Yes, 'win me back'. Because when I was an Atheist, I admired the Satan/Lucifer character as a symbol of independence and freedom. On top of that, I had this idea that Satan was actually the good guy in the Bible. But, those days are behind me now. I said that I can feel him trying to win me back. He knows my weaknesses but thankfully I can see through his tricks. And I'm not sure if that's just my intelligence or if that was the Holy Spirit standing guard as my front line of defence, I'd rather it's the latter. I've been feeling more lust recently and a feeling of wanting to forget about God, like, just stop caring. I will not let him win. :)

I'd love to watch the movies suggested, particularly this War Room, seeing as that two members have suggested it. :) If only more people would seed the torrents, that would be great.

I identified as an atheist for a few years.
@Deidre32, I'm pleased you've also made the right choice. May I know what made you change? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elias Lazorus

Oct 5, 2015
✟15,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me I would stay away from inappropriate contentographic movies, anything displaying sexual activity and music that expresses a similar theme.
@GillDouglas, I always found inappropriate content movies too cheesy for my tastes anyway, except for the ones that are in inappropriate content sites. Don't get me wrong, I'll try my hardest never to watch any of those again. I've removed all inappropriate content sites on my bookmarks and cleared my history.

I'm sure you have heard of 'hentai' before, would pleasuring myself over it be a sin as well? I'd like to hear your opinion on this one. As for mine, I don't think it is, because it would not be a real creation of God that I would be lusting after. Unless masturbation itself is a sin. :)

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
@GillDouglas, I always found inappropriate content movies too cheesy for my tastes anyway, except for the ones that are in inappropriate content sites. Don't get me wrong, I'll try my hardest never to watch any of those again. I've removed all inappropriate content sites on my bookmarks and cleared my history.

I'm sure you have heard of 'hentai' before, would pleasuring myself over it be a sin as well? I'd like to hear your opinion on this one. As for mine, I don't think it is, because it would not be a real creation of God that I would be lusting after. Unless masturbation itself is a sin. :)
Yes, I am familiar with hentai. Unfortunately it still puts you in a position to stumble. I understand that it's just anime, but it's not beneficial to your growth as a Christian. I understand the difficulty to put these kinds of things behind you, and no one can claim perfection. I wish you the best my friend, please feel free to send any questions my way!

Upvote 0

lunabeam

Elizabeth Jane
Aug 24, 2015
The Midwest
Visit site
✟8,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hellooo! Sorry, I had to jump in here when I thought of something to say about this—struggling with inappropriate content and masturbating myself for some years of my life, I can understand how quick one would be to justify and search for ways on how they can pleasure themselves without crossing "that" line. You know, the one that accuses you of sinning. But here is my advice—please, beloved, don't look for ways that will push you as close to the edge as possible. life is not made for you to be comfortable and constantly dunked in your own desires.

while hentai is a form of inappropriate content, it is lust, and it doesn't matter if you believe it is a real creation of God or not. I couldn't help but notice how you gave yourself reasons on why it wouldn't be all that bad—which is something God wants us to avoid. masturbation is a sin when you involve lust into it. if you have to question if it's a sin, then you've already got your answer.

masturbation is something society has sugar coated, I think. do you ever hear people say that they strictly use masturbation as a form of relaxation and unwinding, only to get rid of the stress in their bodies? or maybe they say they want to explore and get to know themselves, and that in itself is no sin at all—when the truth is that overtime (and sometimes immediately) simply grow addicted to the feeling of it. and that just bothers me.

we shouldn't justify a sin and sugar coat it to help ourselves feel better and deceive ourselves when we're doing wrong, you know? as Christians, we are not called to live a life of pleasure and comfort just to say it was worth it in the short run. we are to do exactly opposite, and live our lives in devotion and love towards the One True King, and to say that it was worth it in the long run. ♥

Reactions: GillDouglas
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
You should search through your confessions each day or week, to God, and if anything repeats and you cannot stop it, if it grabs you even once in two years, you best seek God to set you free from sin. Aim for holiness gradually.

Whichever music or films cause you to sin, perhaps the bondage, the recurring sins, keep away from it. But if you sin, confess soon after, and with a view to overcoming it to freedom. Make freedom your goal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome -- feel free to check out the forums, as I know that there is a movies forum that might provide deeper answers than we can here :)
:oldthumbsup:

Elias Lazorus Yes, we have forums just for the type of discussion you seek. This forum is to introduce yourself and to help get you comfortable in the big place!

I think you might be interested in

For help and support:

Prayer Wall
Testimonies
Exploring Christianity

For help on your new journey
For New Christians
Christian Advice

Christian Music

There is another forum for men only that you can go and discuss manly problems there, I can't give you the link because I'm not qualified! but hopefully one of our male members will share that with you!

Here is the link to our Member's Center where you can find more support

I hope you enjoy your time here at CF and continue to grow in your faith! :amen:

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Welcome back from the dark!

I have a similar testimony to yours. When I first returned to the fold, so to speak, the Lord very clearly led me to abstain from many things that are not sin but that FOR ME were hindering my fragile walk with Him. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is that we listen to the Lord about these things, and if you need to know how to listen to the Lord and know what He is directing, you need to get yourself around others who know. Like my pastor says, the way to the Secret Place is to follow someone who knows how to get there.
When I was Out There, I listened to a lot of depressing music - I am sure that if I named the singers and bands they would mean nothing to you, as I am probably old enough to be your mama - on cassette tapes. The Lord led me to record over these tapes with sermons and teachings by people like Charles Stanley and others - very strong Bible teaching. I also used to wear black all the time, to the point that to wear actual colors became intimidating. A leader of mine motivated me to buy and wear some colored clothes. I also gave up wine, and even caffeine for a while. The point was not that wearing black clothing, listening to depressing music, and drinking coffee are evil. The point was that these things were getting in the way of my relationship with God.
What is fine for a Christian? Whatever God permits you to do/watch/listen to. :)

Upvote 0