Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One problem is that if 80% of cases are mild or moderate, that still means that you have a 1/5 chance of ending up in the hospital if you catch it. If you're uninsured or under-insured, that alone is a pretty good reason to panic.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Could you provide some commentary besides just posting a link?

Not sure what to say. "Here's an article which tells why not to panic while educating about the Covid19 virus from a microbiologist" It is a current news article. I learned some things. It also backs a lot of what I have been saying on another thread that used to be in the section before it was moved to the Kitchen Sink.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
One problem is that if 80% of cases are mild or moderate, that still means that you have a 1/5 chance of ending up in the hospital if you catch it. If you're uninsured or under-insured, that alone is a pretty good reason to panic.

The government is releasing funds to help combat this outbreak. If you are unable to pay, you can negotiate a payment plan that you can afford or to even have it written off after you are discharged. If you qualify for Medicaid, they might even get you set up while in the hospital. Go to the hospital if you are having difficulty breathing. They are required to admit and care for emergencies regardless of ability to pay.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Right in the middle of the article, it's linking to these:

The article says,
Of course, in the remaining 14%, it can cause severe pneumonia -- and in 5% it can become critical or even fatal. So 14%, besides the 5% worst case, is severe pneumonia? That's awful.

Yes, it is a bad virus for those who are in the population at risk for a bad case. Yes, this is the same population at risk for a bad case of influenza. Yes, the coronavirus causes pneumonia faster than the flu, but it is also a real risk with the influenza viruses. BOTH are bad....very bad. Pneumonia is bad. People will die (but they are dying now too).

What is your point? Are you in this risk group? If so, be very careful, limit your social interaction, get educated and make your medical desires known, especially concerning if you want to be intubated and hooked up to a ventilator if things get that bad.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The government is releasing funds to help combat this outbreak. If you are unable to pay, you can negotiate a payment plan that you can afford or to even have it written off after you are discharged. If you qualify for Medicaid, they might even get you set up while in the hospital. Go to the hospital if you are having difficulty breathing. They are required to admit and care for emergencies regardless of ability to pay.

I'm an independent contractor, so I don't qualify for Medicaid but also don't have access to employer insurance plans. Paying out of pocket isn't a problem for me, but I can't even find decent catastrophic plans anymore.

The government can say that it'll foot the hospital bills for anyone who's uninsured, but so far that's just talk. The danger of bankruptcy, on the other hand, is very much real, so I'm pretty much resigned to stay away from work until this is over. It's just not worth it if you have a 1/5 chance of losing everything and/or getting saddled with tons of debt. (Especially since I live with people who are much more at risk than I am.)

• Agree
Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I'm an independent contractor, so I don't qualify for Medicaid but also don't have access to employer insurance plans. Paying out of pocket isn't a problem for me, but I can't even find decent catastrophic plans anymore.

The government can say that it'll foot the hospital bills for anyone who's uninsured, but so far that's just talk. The danger of bankruptcy, on the other hand, is very much real, so I'm pretty much resigned to stay away from work until this is over. It's just not worth it if you have a 1/5 chance of losing everything and/or getting saddled with tons of debt. (Especially since I live with people who are much more at risk than I am.)

Non-profit hospitals are required to give so much indigent care to those who don't have insurance or the ability to pay. This doesn't require declaring bankruptcy. I have seen a payment plan of $25 a month...and knowing what her bill was, that was probably going to be for 25 years at least. However, she could afford that amount...and she survived a low prognosis cancer.

Go to the hospital if you are having difficulty breathing or any other emergency. When you get closer to discharge, a case worker will go over the options with you and you can make a plan with the accounting department.

And yes, we need to get more catastrophic plans. That might even be the best answer to the healthcare problem...only have catastrophic plans so that doctors can actually charge reasonable prices that don't include the insurance companies mixed in there.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Non-profit hospitals are required to give so much indigent care to those who don't have insurance or the ability to pay. This doesn't require declaring bankruptcy. I have seen a payment plan of $25 a month...and knowing what her bill was, that was probably going to be for 25 years at least. However, she could afford that amount...and she survived a low prognosis cancer.

Yeah, but the prospect of ending up in debt for 25 years is still a pretty good reason to panic. This thing is scary for reasons that are unrelated to the actual mortality rate, and people seem to swerve between treating it like the flu and like ebola. You'll probably survive, as long as the hospitals don't collapse (which is a pretty big danger itself), but a 1/5 chance of hospitalization is still a big deal.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, but the prospect of ending up in debt for 25 years is still a pretty good reason to panic. This thing is scary for reasons that are unrelated to the actual mortality rate, and people seem to swerve between treating it like the flu and like ebola. You'll probably survive, as long as the hospitals don't collapse (which is a pretty big danger itself), but a 1/5 chance of hospitalization is still a big deal.

If the virus doesn't kill you, the medical bills will.

Sure you can always show up at an amergency room and get treated, regardless of your ability to pay, but, what exactly does that do to your credit rating? Nothing good, I'm sure.

Upvote 0