Fried green tomatoes

Ms.Garnet

Apr 13, 2005
✟16,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You will need firm green tomatoes/wash them. Prepare the skillet/cast iron skillet if one is available. You will need about 1/3 inch to 1/2 inch depth of oil in the skillet...heat on medium heat.

Put perhaps one cup of cornmeal in a bowl...I add perhaps 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder and perhaps 1/4 teaspoon of black ground pepper in my cornmeal to season it (I don't add salt because of my dietary needs).

Slice the green tomatoes about 1/3 inch thick and dredge both sides in the seasoned cornmeal...then place them in the heated oil & fry until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towel lined plate. I love to eat mine with ketchup !

We love green fried tomatoes so I usually cook at least 2 med. to 2 large size tomatoes.

I have had them served to me prepared somehow without frying or coating with the cornmeal...they were somehow stewed down to a thick sticky gooey yucky
paste....to say the least...I could not eat them...!!!!!!!!!! P.S. I also fry sliced yellow summer squash the exact same way that I fry my green tomatoes!

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe

Print Options

Filed under Breakfast and Brunch, Vegetable, Vegetarian

Ever since that wonderful movie with Jessica Tandy I've wondered about fried green tomatoes. People really eat green tomatoes? I recall being served fried tomatoes for breakfast while visiting London, but they weren't green. Curious as usual, we found some big green tomatoes at the farmer's market last weekend and just had to try them. The verdict at this house? Yum! What a great way to make use of end-of-the-season tomatoes.
3 medium, firm green tomatoes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs or cornmeal
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper. Let tomato slices stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, place flour, milk, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes.
2 Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until brown. As you cook the rest of the tomatoes, add olive oil as needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Adapted from a recipe in Better Homes and Garden's New Cook Book.

Classic Fried Green Tomatoes

INGREDIENTS:

• 4 to 6 green tomatoes
  • salt and pepper
  • cornmeal
  • bacon grease or vegetable oil
PREPARATION:

Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 - 1/2-inch slices. Salt and pepper them to taste. Dip in meal and fry in hot grease or oil about 3 minutes or until golden on bottom. Gently turn and fry the other side. Serve as a side dish - delicious with breakfast!

friedgreentom7.jpg

Upvote 0

Ms.Garnet

Apr 13, 2005
✟16,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well how about this for a blessing...the day after my last post about wanting some green fried tomatoes...the Lord blessed me with some. A farmer brought a big box of green & ripe tomatoes to the store where I work for some employees there..one employee did not want hers and told me to take her share (I wasn't in the original group to receive them). I took a few , she added a few more and then today the owner of the store told me there were plenty left over & to please take some more home!!!! I had my fill last night and heated up some leftovers tonight. Funny how such a simple thing can be a huge blessing!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Folks will love you for sharing that info! As far as I know we don't have a Captain D's around,or anywhere that serves these,amazing as many hillbillys there are here,LOL. I was married to a good ole hillbilly boy for 30 years,so I can say that!

Upvote 0

Ms.Garnet

Apr 13, 2005
✟16,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Serita ! Captain D's is a fast food family oriented "fish" place....like Long John Silver's, etc. Our's is new so it is still pretty decent...but don't waste your money on the Fried Green Tomatoes...I tried them last night...they were not good at all...no flavor and seemed to have been freeze dried, rehydrated, breaded and fried. I was very disappointed with the tomatoes...the fish and everything else I have eaten there is really good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Have you seen the movie “Fried green tomatoes”? Well, if you live in Georgia and want to eat some fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop café, check this out.
http://www.thewhistlestopcafe.com/

My wife loves the movie “Fried green tomatoes”. So! She buys the CD. I like watching “special features” on CD’s. in the “special features” of fried green tomatoes, they show that the whistle stop café and town is an actual café in Juliette Georgia. So! on my wife’s birthday last year I take her on a 4hr [surprise] birthday drive to the whistle stop café and town.

Upvote 0