Freemasonry. Separating myth from fiction.

Simpleman25

Mar 21, 2013
Oklahoma
✟16,627.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm starting this thread since the active masonry discussions have been in Catholic or orthodox threads. In this thread we can discuss more openly with Catholics concerning masonry, while not violating the rules.

My hope is to help inform those that either don't know facts concerning masonry. Or learned them from sites that fail to offer any honesty.

I've offer numerous times to answer any and all questions honestly. I've done so with many of you. Some myths even come from masons. Even masons can be wrong at times!

Please ask away. I will maintain civility as long as it goes both ways. With some that is impossible, but I shall try anyway.

Thank you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
People who make a living, literally, off of denouncing Masonry, and also those who do it for the fame they obtain in certain circles of haters, maintain that Masonry is wrong because the membership is not made up exclusively of Christians. They themselves, however, continue to belong to Chambers of Commerce, the Country Club, neighborhood associations, and innumerable other organizations whose memberships include men and women of a wide range of religions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simpleman25

Mar 21, 2013
Oklahoma
✟16,627.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
What belief requirements are there for becoming a mason?

What positions, if any, does masonry take regarding theological matters?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Mark,

Good questions!

The first question I was asked before being allowed to join was if I believed in God.

On matters of theology, it depends on the men in a particular lodge. The canned answer is that matters of religion and politics are to be left outside the lodge. The reasoning was that those topics were to divisive.

In reality religion and politics are talked about frequently. For anyone to think that men joining in meals and work together don't talk about the days events is preposterous.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What belief requirements are there for becoming a mason?

What positions, if any, does masonry take regarding theological matters?

eudaimonia,

Mark

You are expected to profess a belief in one God and in the immortality of the soul. Otherwise, Masonry does not make demands on you, theologically speaking, or teach any particular doctrines. You are generally encouraged to be active in whatever denomination you belong to.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm wondering whose myth we're discussing here. ;)

I have personal knowledge of freemasonry, and dare to share that it is not Christian, though there are many mislead Christians in it. Paul Ankerberg with others, wrote a terrific book with truths about this "philosophy".

Well-known authors and researchers John Ankerberg, John Weldon, and Dillon Burroughs have updated and revised The Facts on the Masonic Lodge,
which is filled with well-documented facts and comprehensive comparisons to biblical truths. Readers learn what Masonry (also known as Freemasonry or "the Lodge") is by discovering when it began, who has been involved, what its teachings are, and how it influences their lives and the Christian church today. The bookprovides concise, straightforward answers to questions that include:

• Is Masonry a religion?
  • What do the Masons teach about Jesus, salvation, and life after death?
  • What do Masonic symbols represent?
  • Are Masonry and Christianity compatible?
  • Why is understanding Masonry important today?

Upvote 0

Simpleman25

Mar 21, 2013
Oklahoma
✟16,627.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
What part do swords play in the whole deal? And where do the templars suposedly come into it?

I'm not sure what swords you are talking about. Please let me know what or where you heard about swords.

The Knights Templars have no connection with masonry. There are some masons that claim masonry began with them. Not so.

In the Scottish rite there is a portion that speaks about the Templars.

Upvote 0

Simpleman25

Mar 21, 2013
Oklahoma
✟16,627.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering whose myth we're discussing here. ;)

I have personal knowledge of freemasonry, and dare to share that it is not Christian, though there are many mislead Christians in it. Paul Ankerberg with others, wrote a terrific book with truths about this "philosophy".

Not sure what your knowledge is. I will disagree that it is not Christian. Would be interested to hear what you have to say. Either here or in pm.

Ankenberg is an interesting fellow. I've often wondered what his view would be if he wasn't making money on it.

Were you aware that Ankenbergs lead investigator joined freemasonry after doing ankenbergs leg work? I've always found that little nugget of information very valuable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People who make a living, literally, off of denouncing Masonry, and also those who do it for the fame they obtain in certain circles of haters, maintain that Masonry is wrong because the membership is not made up exclusively of Christians. They themselves, however, continue to belong to Chambers of Commerce, the Country Club, neighborhood associations, and innumerable other organizations whose memberships include men and women of a wide range of religions.

Like the Boy Scouts of America.

Upvote 0

Skip Sampson

Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
✟9,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What part do swords play in the whole deal? And where do the templars suposedly come into it?
Swords are used extensively in the Knights Templar degree of the York Rite. All the officers carry one, as do, I believe, all of the members. The degree involves quite a bit of swordplay, including swords being presented to the candidate's breast during his vows to impress upon him their importance. A drawing of a human skull with a sword planted in it is part of the decorations.

Another skull rests on the VSL during the degree, and it is carted by the candidate around the lodgeroom to prove his worth. More significant, during the fifth libation, wine is drunk from a skull (plastic or otherwise) with these words:
This pure wine I now take from this Cup, to remind me of the mortality of the body, and in testimony of my belief in the immortality of the soul; and may this Libation appear against me in Judgment, to condemn me, should I ever knowingly or willfully violate my Vows of Knighthood.

There is no actual relationship between the Knights Templars of old and the degree itself, though such a relationship is pondered in various fictional works. John Robinson's Born in Blood is a good example of that; in fact, it's a great read on Freemasonry. The Knights Templar ritual, though, falsely claims such a connection with both the Templars and the Hospitallers. Masonic rituals are not known for their historical accuracy. Cordially, Skip.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From what little I've learned about Masonry, I can say that it's an organization very much like one that I was a member of for much of my youth - the Boy Scouts of America.

The Masons, like the Boy Scouts, require belief in a God. They do not state which God - they are no more a Christian organization than they are Jewish or Muslim. They are a religious organization, but they are not a religion. There are Christian Masons, Jewish Masons, Islamic Masons, etc.

To say that "There are no Christian Masons" is really a "No true Scotsman" fallacy. You're welcome to disagree with their beliefs and their theology. You're also welcome to disapprove of their membership in the Masons or the Boy Scouts...but they're still Christians. From my outsider perspective - it's like watching protestants claim that Catholics aren't Christian. It sounds absurd. It's one thing to disagree with their theology, but it's something entirely different to deny that they accept Jesus Christ as their lord and savior.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what swords you are talking about. Please let me know what or where you heard about swords.

The Knights Templars have no connection with masonry. There are some masons that claim masonry began with them. Not so.

In the Scottish rite there is a portion that speaks about the Templars.

Arent swords part of the regalia, along with aprons? Whats the difference between Scottish masons and other masons?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Simpleman25

Mar 21, 2013
Oklahoma
✟16,627.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Arent swords part of the regalia, along with aprons? Whats the difference between Scottish masons and other masons?

Swords are not a part of the official dress of a freemason, while the apron certainly is.

Freemasonry is broken down like this.

Blue lodge is the standard for masonry. It consists of those that have passed the three degrees.

Then you have the appendent bodies which is the Scottish and York rites then the shrine.

Upvote 0

Simpleman25

Mar 21, 2013
Oklahoma
✟16,627.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That assumes he was truthful in stating his geographical location. It's kind of a cottage industry with me these days in seeing if I can get ANY Mason to identify his jurisdiction. I'm waiting for the first Texas Mason to claim the moon as his jurisdiction. Cordially, Skip.

Most of us have read your playbook.

Since you were never a mason yourself, why should it matter where I am from? It doesn't is the simple answer.

Your futile attempts over the years to attempt to use our materials against us may be over. To many of us have caught on to what you and your cult buddies are doing.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Whats the difference?

Most Masons belong only to what's called "Blue Lodge," which is the basic unit and what is what most people mean when they say "Masonry." However, there are a number of affiliated orders. There is DeMolay for youths, Eastern Star for the wives and daughters of Masons, and others. If a Mason wants to go on to something in addition to his Master Mason status in Blue Lodge, there are the Scottish Rite degrees and the York Rite degrees. Essentially, these take you through additional lessons and initiations which emphasize a number of the themes that the Blue Lodge degrees dealt with in briefer fashion. One of the York Rite groups is the Knights Templar, which does have swords for drill teams and ceremonials (since the original Templars were, after all, knights). It is open only to Christian Masons. In a way, all of this is something like Boy Scouts where there are the usual levels, but some people do go on to Eagle Scout, etc. The difference, though, is that these are considered advanced Scouts, whereas the additional orders of Masonry are just different undertakings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0