Freedom from religion.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I forgot about that! I knew I had seen it before as soon as I saw the thumbnail, though.

That's not Collegehumor, is it?
No idea. Honestly I just assumed some smarty pants Catholic made it.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I never understand some Christian's repulsion at the word religion.

Agreed. Is it just me or does this seem to be more common nowadays? I have even heard it sometimes, I'm a bit shocked to say, from people within your own communion, including even priests. I don't understand it. It seems like one of those 'cool', post-modern ways of looking at the faith: "Oh, true Christianity isn't a religion!"

Well if it isn't, I would like to know why it then has all the trappings of one. It's silly to me to protest that it's not one, if what you really mean by saying that (and this is the most generous interpretation I can give it) is that you don't approach your faith in a dry, legalistic manner or what have you. Yes, fine. But it's still a religion.

It's as if somewhere along the line a certain kind of person decided 'religion' is one of those dirty words we aren't supposed to use in polite, modern society, since so many people associate it with something negative, or prefer to call themselves "spiritual, but not religious" or whatever. That's fine for them if that's how they want to speak, but I don't recall being invited to that meeting. I love my religion, and don't see any reason why I should conform to this new (really, by now quite old) way of talking about it.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because if it is the first then you are a prophet because not all of us get a mouth to mouth conversation with God :)
Im no prophet, just a spirit lead person. Are you denying that God leads us as individuals?

Hebrews 10:16 “This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.”[a]

1 John 2:27 As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, [a]you abide in Him.

• Winner
Reactions: Shempster
Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps the OP means organized religion. I'm also delighted to be free from its shackles. I have to admit I miss cooperate worship. I do not miss church in the slightest.

bugkiller

Jesus is alive, is He a religion ?

Since we are commanded to worship in community I find it sad that you would disobey the Bible simply because you can't submit to any authority.

Jesus is alive, but we aren't Jesus, we are his followers who worship him as God. That is therefore religion.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. Is it just me or does this seem to be more common nowadays? I have even heard it sometimes, I'm a bit shocked to say, from people within your own communion, including even priests. I don't understand it. It seems like one of those 'cool', post-modern ways of looking at the faith: "Oh, true Christianity isn't a religion!"

Well if it isn't, I would like to know why it then has all the trappings of one. It's silly to me to protest that it's not one, if what you really mean by saying that (and this is the most generous interpretation I can give it) is that you don't approach your faith in a dry, legalistic manner or what have you. Yes, fine. But it's still a religion.

It's as if somewhere along the line a certain kind of person decided 'religion' is one of those dirty words we aren't supposed to use in polite, modern society, since so many people associate it with something negative, or prefer to call themselves "spiritual, but not religious" or whatever. That's fine for them if that's how they want to speak, but I don't recall being invited to that meeting. I love my religion, and don't see any reason why I should conform to this new (really, by now quite old) way of talking about it.

Its snobbery in my opinion. People believing they are too good to be one of those "fools" submitting to another's authority.

Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:doh1:
This is my final head-desk. I just don't much appreciate when someone turns something into a personal attack on me or my Church when I'm just trying to explain how we all, in fact, are part of a religion. And the assertion that the Lord isn't our teacher as well was extremely uncalled for. I could play insult volleyball all night if I wasn't emotionally drained, and trying to do my best to follow Jesus, my teacher- but since I'm both of those things, I'll leave it at that.
Im not attacking, just stating a relevant fact.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Since we are commanded to worship in community I find it sad that you would disobey the Bible simply because you can't submit to any authority.

Jesus is alive, but we aren't Jesus, we are his followers who worship him as God. That is therefore religion.
Where are we commanded to attend church?

bugkiller

Reactions: listed
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its snobbery in my opinion. People believing they are too good to be one of those "fools" submitting to another's authority.
No, its not snobbery, its frustration. Dont blame me, i didnt invent man made doctrines that cause strife and division.

• Winner
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I am rather joyful to find freedom from organized religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course you aren't- he's the visible head of a religion's Church on Earth.

According to your interpretation. According to mine the visible head of the one true Church sits at the right hand of the Father, not a father, THE Father.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
According to your interpretation. According to mine the visible head of the one true Church sits at the right hand of the Father, not a father, THE Father.
You're missing my point entirely, just like everyone else here. Read what I said again.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They'd have to be true to be fact- all they are, are crudely phrased assertions at best, attacks at worst.
This is always what happens when one criticises the RC or EO, you all complain about being attacked. How much "attacking" does your church members do? Is it only Protestants that do the so called attacking?

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Im no prophet, just a spirit lead person. Are you denying that God leads us as individuals?

Hebrews 10:16 “This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.”[a]

1 John 2:27 As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, [a]you abide in Him.

Hebrews uses THEY in plural talking about the group of believers,

and if John is making the claim that we are being taught all things on our own, then why is he even bothering to write a letter telling us we don't need to be taught?

When John says You, he is writing to an entire Church, not the individual. He is telling the entire Parish he is writing to that they as a body can determine what is profitable and what isn't. And this was necessary at the time because the Apostles could not constantly be in every church around the world.
The problem at that time was people were looking for other teachers, Gurus if you will. John is telling the church that they as a body can determine if a teacher speaks true or not.

I do not think the Holy Spirit leads us individually apart from the Church. Even the apostles realized this when they were arguing over the issue of Circumcision. What did they do? They came together in a council.

Upvote 0