Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I never said that Adam & Eve were not ashamed in each other's presence on discovering their nudity, I said the law allows such nudity between a husband and a wife. It gives no other concessions.

There is not one shred of Scriptural evidence that gives support to nudity in a community. Quite the opposite in fact.

Can you give a reference for that provision in the law?

Look at a good word study on naked such as The Dictionary of Biblical Imagery eds Ryken, Wilhoit, Longman to see the varied usage of the word in Scripture.

Clearly unclothed and naked can mean the same. But when I say "He stripped his argument bare" that is obviously a metaphorical usage.

I am not advocating widespread social nudity - an Edenic lifestyle for all. But I have no issues with some nudity in appropriate settings, such as a free beach. I see no biblical prohibition against that. In biblical times and indeed for most of our own history, the sight of a naked body was commonplace in many settings. Modern housing has made us intensely private.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

FreeInChrist88

Jan 11, 2009
✟37,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nudity is always an expression of shame and humiliation in Scripture, even when Jesus hung on the cross.

No, nudity is not ALWAYS an expression of shame in the Bible. I would agree that most references are in the context of shame but there are others that are simply neutral on the subject (as when Peter was "stripped for work") or positive (as in the garden of Eden).

Context is everything. If I were forcibly stripped and placed in the middle of a busy shopping mall, I would feel horrible shame. Most people would feel that way. If I choose to be naked in a non-sexual mixed-gender nudist situation where others are naked as well, I would not feel any shame.

For me, the key question is......Is non-sexual social nudity a SIN? Does it grieve God?

If it is not a sin, then whether one goes to a Free beach or not depends on their personal preference.

Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Hi John,

I am not advocating widespread social nudity - an Edenic lifestyle for all. But I have no issues with some nudity in appropriate settings, such as a free beach. I see no biblical prohibition against that. In biblical times and indeed for most of our own history, the sight of a naked body was commonplace in many settings. Modern housing has made us intensely private.

John
NZ

Me neither. In fact there are some people whom I think should NOT practice it, such as albinos and people who are in unhappy relationships.

I've had some guys phone me asking if a naturist group is akin to a swingers club or lonely hearts club and they say "not interested" when I tell them no.

Throughout the years I've been a naturist I've never heard any person they got into it in order to know God better.

I'm with you about modern architecture and its obsession with privacy.

Upvote 0

Rev.Ross

Aug 1, 2011
East Coast
✟322.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was younger, I went to a nude beach a few times. AT first I thought it would be exciting. Then after a few minutes, I realized that nudity does not equal sex or sin. There were just people there nude and enjoying their bodies in the fresh air. After a while, I thought that this is not the big deal churches make it out to be. I think churches should sponsor nude beach trips, nude mission trips, and nude preacing and worship services (all voluntary of course). This would unmask the evil of inappropriate content, which says the body is evil (so they can make a dollar). I read that naked missionaries wearing nothing but a cross and carrying Bibles go to the beaches to witness to nude beach goers. People have been saved. This is a good thing. Going nude to win nudes for Jesus. Thanks and God bless, Rev. Ross

Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
When I was younger, I went to a nude beach a few times. AT first I thought it would be exciting. Then after a few minutes, I realized that nudity does not equal sex or sin. There were just people there nude and enjoying their bodies in the fresh air. After a while, I thought that this is not the big deal churches make it out to be. I think churches should sponsor nude beach trips, nude mission trips, and nude preacing and worship services (all voluntary of course). This would unmask the evil of inappropriate content, which says the body is evil (so they can make a dollar). I read that naked missionaries wearing nothing but a cross and carrying Bibles go to the beaches to witness to nude beach goers. People have been saved. This is a good thing. Going nude to win nudes for Jesus. Thanks and God bless, Rev. Ross

Hi Rev. Ross,

Good to read your post on here. I wish that the churches would take up on what you've suggested.

However, the nudist movement has been around for over 110 years in the Western world and has done nothing to be able to destroy the inappropriate content industry. Indeed, it is disheartening to see some inappropriate content sites including nudist photos along with their eye-candy stuff, because it isn't what the lifestyle is about.

Myself and a few young nudist friends are organising a charity event on September 3rd called "The Bare Heart", which is going to be a mass photo-shoot in the league of Spencer Tunick's work where we will get as many people as we can both males and females to lie down nude on the ground in the shape of a heart and the pics taken from an aerial point of view. The proceeds from the sales of the photos will go to The Butterfly Foundation, an organisation that helps people with eating disorders and body image problems.
You can see their website at :: The Butterfly Foundation :: Home
It's the initial stage of being publicly nude the first time which is unnerving for many people, but when they realise that it isn't do with orgiastic behaviour they relax and behave normally.

So far, we have got over 60 people on Facebook and Model Mayhem who are interested in taking part in the shoot. There is a surprising number of females who are willing to do it, especially as I come from a culture in which most of our girls and women are taught to be ashamed of their bodies.

Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Ashamed of their bodys? You joking.
Its not about shame its about decency and respect for themselves and others.

satans commandment. "Do as thou want"

:pWhat is indecent about nakedness or nudity? Nothing!

What did Jesus say against it? Nothing!

Where in the 10 commandments does it state: "Thou shalt not go nude in public"? Nowhere!

I believe in "Do as thou want as long as you don't kill, maim or injure any creature". Simple as that. Only Satan and his followers call God's creation 'shameful'.

Gymnophobia - get over it!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
luchsgud,

I agree with your comments and even though there is no shame for a husband and wife to be naked with one another and in fact sexual relations between both are more than encouraged by God himself. When it comes to wilful nudity between non-married individuals then it will always indicate a lack of understanding of their fallen nature and such people will never display a humble heart before the Lord.

I would expect that any congregation that discovered that any of their members were involved in such activity that they would be immediately counselled and if they did not change their behaviour then they should be immediately ejected from the congregation.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
luchsgud,

I agree with your comments and even though there is no shame for a husband and wife to be naked with one another and in fact sexual relations between both are more than encouraged by God himself. When it comes to wilful nudity between non-married individuals then it will always indicate a lack of understanding of their fallen nature and such people will never display a humble heart before the Lord.

I would expect that any congregation that discovered that any of their members were involved in such activity that they would be immediately counselled and if they did not change their behaviour then they should be immediately ejected from the congregation.

That's a personal opinion, plus some unexamined presuppositions.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would you expect that???? It's not like churchs kick people out for inappropiate behaviour with anything else so why make an example out of this one particular thing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Dag,
Why would you expect that???? It's not like churchs kick people out for inappropiate behaviour with anything else so why make an example out of this one particular thing?
The problem with your line of thought is that you are now compelled to excuse all sin simply because frail human church leadership does not all always correctly address sin when it arises. We cannot judge or define sin by how we humans frequently fail to address it but we must hold to the highest standards as stipulated by the Word of God and by the inner witness of the Spirit.

In my opinion there would not be a single person walking this planet who as a nudist who would not be exhibiting various forms of debased behaviour and I am of the strong opinion that anyone who is wilfully involved in such debased behaviour simply has their senses dulled and I could not imagine any individual who is filled with the Spirit of God being involved in such debased behaviour – none and without any exception.

When such people are found within our assemblies they should be cautioned, counselled and if they do not change their behaviour they should be subsequently excommunicated.

If anyone is found to be involved in this type of immorality who has been an ‘active’ member within their congregation for a lengthy period of time, even if they repent of their sin, the amount of time that they have wilfully spent hiding this would also in my view be grounds for them being kept out of senior ministry and leadership roles for a very lengthy period of time.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In my opinion there would not be a single person walking this planet who as a nudist who would not be exhibiting various forms of debased behaviour and I am of the strong opinion that anyone who is wilfully involved in such debased behaviour simply has their senses dulled and I could not imagine any individual who is filled with the Spirit of God being involved in such debased behaviour – none and without any exception.

I appreciate your honesty "In my Opinion". But maybe your opinion would be better based if it had more information. Find some personal testimonies and discussions of why Christian nudists can accept nudity as not being opposed to biblical principles.

"not be a single person " That is all encompassing and rather demeaning of a great number of people, including entire societies who are unclothed, without any real evidence for that assertion, and contrary to the actual testimonial evidence of many others.

The words 'debased behaviour' imply a clearly defined and broken biblical standard. What is your scriptural basis for that?

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Johnnz,

With regard to being honest, I should really be upfront and say that my use of “my opinion” on this website is simply a concession to it being a public forum and particularly that many contemporary Christians and church goers have a moral understanding that is probably inferior to the vast majority of unchurched individuals of say 30 years ago.

Being in my fifties I am part of a generation that has been able to travel through some turbulent times where increasingly for many, right is no longer necessarily right and evil is merely a dated concept that that belongs to the kill-joys and wowsers. Sadly this change has not only affected the secular world but has become entrenched within vast elements of the Church here in Australia – let alone with the rest of the Western world.
When it comes to evidence, whenever I have encountered any individual who promotes nudism, they have always displayed a general ambivalence to other moral standards and they will frequently end up making a stand for other forms of sin and will be reluctant to support efforts that are designed to curb social excesses within our society – in essence they tend to be the cause of many of ours societies problems and not a part of the cure.

Currently I am involved with a group of individuals who attend a fairly liberal congregation where we are involved in a particular sport; a little while ago one of their church members joined where we discovered she was a nudist. I pulled out for a time as I felt that it was not appropriate to be associated with such a woman and others did the same. Later on I found out from a mutual friend that their church was trying to bring her into line with regard to numerous unstated moral issues, to my surprise her nudity was not one of the issues.

Even though I have not applied any Scripture to support my arguments at this stage the positions that such people usually promote tend to stand against Gods word.

To put it succinctly, any individual who is involved or promotes nudity has no place within the Body of Christ and in my strong view they should not be allowed to oversee children or hold positions of influence let alone within the church but also in secular society.

Upvote 0

tBCfC

Jun 27, 2011
✟422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God has never been ashamed of human nudity, only humans.

God was dismayed when he found Adam and Eve had covered themselves in the garden. Their shame was in their own eyes. That's why they tried to hide their bodies. I think nakedness is fine. Wearing the suit that god gave you on your birthday is no sin.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi Bibilcist,

Even though I have not applied any Scripture to support my arguments at this stage the positions that such people usually promote tend to stand against Gods word.

Your posts clearly indicate that you believe any social nudity is wrong biblically. I am happy to respond to any reply to your scriptural basis for your beliefs.

To put it succinctly, any individual who is involved or promotes nudity has no place within the Body of Christ and in my strong view they should not be allowed to oversee children or hold positions of influence let alone within the church but also in secular society.

That statement means that any and all Christians who accept nudity are in serious error and are sexually questionable. That is a very sweeping statement that requires further justification. Any reasonable argument on any matter requires as a minimum some understanding of the what forms the basis of another's viewpoint. Again, I suspect your reservations are speculative rather than factually based.

John
NZ

Upvote 0