Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This might've been shared on here before since this is from 2018, but I just watched it for the first time yesterday and thought it was very profound. I even ended up taking notes which I'll include in this post.

It's over an hour long but I think it's very engrossing and an easy thing to watch despite it's length. We all know he's an engaging speaker and the subject matter is so great for us men to hear. It's a massive long shot but I hope I can get him on my podcast down the road, I'm sure he's terribly difficult to book but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Here's the video (raw notes below):

Fr. Mike Schmitz: “The Marks of a True Christian Man”

Western/American culture lacks a definitive transition to manhood, a rite of passage when an elder man tells a young man that he’s a man.

Ex: difference between the young men (18-24) who fought in WWII and the same age group today is our forefathers took responsibility.

To be a man I need to reject passivity and embrace responsibility (15:48)

16:38 - Sin of sloth isn’t just laziness, it comes down to “I would rather be somewhere else doing something else rather than embracing this moment and the responsibility that’s given to me in this moment.”

19:55 - Mature men are formed when they embrace the fact that they can’t just step away from wherever they are in life to do something else, because they have to do whatever it is they are there to do.

23:00 When male lions challenge the alpha for dominance and they fight, they attempt to castrate the opposing lion because he’s no longer a threat. Scripture says the devil prowls about like a lion looking to devour us, “all he has to do is castrate us, render us powerless so we’re no longer a threat.”

25:40 - second mark of a Catholic man is he will strive to be competent. We need to be men who are men of freedom, men of power. I need to train myself, competent (asceticism, penance).

We don’t have to be competent in everything, but we need to be competent in one thing: in this training of sainthood. Able to act when it’s time to act, to fight when it’s time to fight, to lead when it’s time to lead, serve when it’s time to serve - my wife, my children, my parish.

It’s never too early or too late to start this training.

30:45 - when Goliath challenged the Israelites they were all passive believing someone else would step forward to accept the challenge. David came forward because he would not stand for Goliath’s insults against Israel or God and his many years shepherding his father’s flocks trained him for the moment that he would face Goliath (1 Sam. 17:34).

33:35 - God doesn’t waste anything, there is no experience in your life that if handed over to the Lord he can’t use or transform and make it something incredible.

Saint Josemaria Escriva - the heroic minute: when the alarm goes off, get out of bed. Don’t snooze, don’t sit there wasting time scrolling through social media or browsing the internet.

37:35 - the third mark of a Catholic man is integrity: the ability to look another man whom you respect in the eyes knowing full-well your own flaws.

52:40 - to love, to will the good of the other and not use others for my own purposes and pleasure.

59:15 if you’re going to be a Catholic man you’re going to have to be defiant as well because you can’t live according to the culture.​