Foundout my new husband secretly smokes, need advice!

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The "Christian angle" about smoking is a non starter, IMO. People need to be able to be open with their spouse and not feel some kind of Christian based condemnation, thats how they ask for help/approval/disapproval, whatever. While there is no excuse to lie, there is a reason, and thats it.

Reactions: Tannic
Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They don't like confrontation and hashing it out the way we as women do.

I agree with everything you said..except I woudl say "people"..Im an addict and a woman/female..and I did NOT LIKE being confronted..HATED IT..I did not like being fussed at lectured and nagged anymore than a man does..AND I hid (or tired to it was a joke) my drinking sometimes..and he would follow me around and call me out..He wanted to discuss it and 'hash it out' and hes a man..

Dallas

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

I happen to be in the "it's not such a huge deal" camp. I'm allergic to tobacco smoke in every form it comes in, so I react harshly to it, even second and third-hand...

That being said, I can understand why he felt he had to hide it - and now that the cat is out of the bag -- there you go. Just confront it together, hash out the issues and be reasonable about it. It's your personal peeve that it shouldn't be something someone does - but that doesn't mean the vice is personally antithetical to the lifestyle of a believer. I would have hoped if it were my DH he could at least come to me about it, but at this point that's kind of something I'd skip over when we talked about it.

Upvote 0

lisah

Humanist with Christian Heritage
Oct 3, 2003
✟15,168.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Well, let's see . . .

When I first met my husband I did smoke. I quit a few years later due to the skyrocketing cost. I went probably ten years not smoking, then began smoking secretly during a very rough patch we were having. I eventually fessed up and he didn't make a big deal about the smoking, but he was bothered that I did it secretly. After a couple of years of smoking, I quit again.

Now, I see his point. As he say's, I'm a grown-up and can make decisions as to what I am going to do. So, why do something secretly?

Great point.

Now, maybe that's what you need to tell him. That he's a grown-up and shouldn't have to hide such things. Then, maybe you should accept his smoking needs? (that does not mean you approve though) I wouldn't allow him to do it in the house. It just plain stinks up the place. That could be your one restriction that can be agreed upon.

Some people are sometimes smoker's. They aren't really hooked on it, it is just something they've found that they feel helps them de-stress.

It's really up to you how big of a deal the actual smoking is. The deception, well . . . that's because he didn't "want to hear it", basically.

So, maybe just affirm that he's a grownup and let him be one? Well, that's what my hubby did and I haven't smoked for several years now. Can't stand the thought of it actually. But, that's the way it works. At least that's the way it has worked with me.

Upvote 0

gracefulone1980

Give thanks with a grateful heart.
Mar 13, 2011
NY
✟15,355.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think it's all in the way that you present it. Chances are he knew how you would react and that is why he hid it from you. I think communication is so very important in a marriage or any relationship and that should be the first thing you two discuss, in my opinion. Ripping him a new one and saying what he is doing is shameful, personally, I feel that would just push someone into not sharing things they are not proud of. Approaching him and telling him how you feel out of love and genuine concern for his health would be a much better way to handle it. Even if this is a habit you do not like, it is still something he needs to give up for himself, not because you don't like it. I wish you the best of luck and I hope the two of you can work on being more open with each other.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I hope that you can let your husband know in a very loving and diplomatic way how much it bothers you that he lied. If you present it in the right way chances are good that he will apologize.

As for the smoking, I will only echo what others have already said. You’re trying to get him to quit by telling him it is bad or non-Christian will probably fail. In fact it may do harm.

Quitting smoking for me was a solo decision. My wife never threw the non-Christian or bad card at me. I smoked for over 40 years and I have been tobacco free for 6 years now.
No one gets credit for me quitting except me and God, no other humans made a difference.

I do not want to play down your concern but making too big of a deal about this issue can backfire on you.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope that you can let your husband know in a very loving and diplomatic way how much it bothers you that he lied. If you present it in the right way chances are good that he will apologize.

As for the smoking, I will only echo what others have already said. You’re trying to get him to quit by telling him it is bad or non-Christian will probably fail. In fact it may do harm.

Quitting smoking for me was a solo decision. My wife never threw the non-Christian or bad card at me. I smoked for over 40 years and I have been tobacco free for 6 years now.
No one gets credit for me quitting except me and God, no other humans made a difference.

I do not want to play down your concern but making too big of a deal about this issue can backfire on you.

:cheer: Congratulations!!!!!

And I agree .. if another human being had ANY control whatsoever of anyone quitting any addiction no one would HAVE an addiction ..all you would need is a loved one to tell you its "bad for you and they want you to quit"..You can encourage and you may even well be a big motivation factor for someone ..but never can one person guilt trip nag or threaten(not for long anyway) soemone to quit such a vice as cigarrette smoking..HAS to be motivated from within...

Dallas

Upvote 0

Sailor_A

Jun 7, 2011
Earth
✟8,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah I do feel for you. I knew dating a smoking was not even something I could do never mind being married to one but God can give us strength even when things seem greater than we can bear. I'd be devastating about all you listed as well but remember you can only control your own actions. You have made your feelings aware to your husband and all you can do now is to pray for him and forgive him. I think any reasonable human being knows when they have been dishonest/hurt someone but it takes some people more time to apologies than others. I'm praying for you Craftygirl.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My husband started smoking again, in secret. I caught him the same way--went outside to ask him a question and caught him with a cig. I told him that if he wanted to smoke, I didn't care, but be darned if I was going to stick around and nurse him if he got lung cancer. If he finds himself with cancer he has to find his own nurse.

Upvote 0

GloryBe!

Always learning.....
Jul 8, 2011
Arkansas
✟15,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
moonkitty said:
My husband started smoking again, in secret. I caught him the same way--went outside to ask him a question and caught him with a cig. I told him that if he wanted to smoke, I didn't care, but be darned if I was going to stick around and nurse him if he got lung cancer. If he finds himself with cancer he has to find his own nurse.

Awfully tempting....

Glory be!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 19, 2011
✟15,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The main reason for lung cancer is tar in cigarette smoke....... I recommend you to switch to electronic cigarettes as the eliminate the component of tar and fulfill the need for nicotine...... I was a smoker for 5 years till I switched and now i think i can finally quit smoking for good.........

Upvote 0

GloryBe!

Always learning.....
Jul 8, 2011
Arkansas
✟15,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Conservativation said:
If he is smoking and hiding it, its likely he is using inappropriate content too. Does he carry a smart phone out there while he is smoking? Because right there is the inappropriate content access.

Why would you say this? TO try to add doubt to her mind about an unrelated topic is neither encouraging, nor helpful. I find it cruel. She is genuinely upset about his PROVEN deception as well as his health, and their potentially shortened time together. Whether a new habit is revealed or not is none of our business until she brings it up.

Glory be!

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

Why would you say this? TO try to add doubt to her mind about an unrelated topic is neither encouraging, nor helpful. I find it cruel. She is genuinely upset about his PROVEN deception as well as his health, and their potentially shortened time together. Whether a new habit is revealed or not is none of our business until she brings it up.

Glory be!
He is being facetious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If he is smoking and hiding it, its likely he is using inappropriate content too. Does he carry a smart phone out there while he is smoking? Because right there is the inappropriate content access.

This is true. Sins seldom if ever travel alone. Its likely he is running red lights when he thinks nobody is looking too.

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is true. Sins seldom if ever travel alone. Its likely he is running red lights when he thinks nobody is looking too.

He also Im sure does something I often do when thrill seeking, on a lonely stretch of road I am known to slip the seat belt off.....just for a few minutes

Upvote 0