Foundation of the Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by kern

Please do not write all of your responses in a QUOTE box. That means responders have to copy and paste your text into their reply.

Kern,

When you click on the quote button, my text will be pasted into your reply. Try it. I discovered that this is the easier way to do it.

Catholics would agree with you entirely that the Apostolic Tradition does not take precedence over the Bible. It complements it, not replaces or supercedes.

Then your sttement that the knife cuts BOTH ways is WRONG because any APOSTOLIC TRADITION that does NOT conform with what the Bible teaches does NOT take precedence over the Bible and therefore, MUST be thrown away.

And Paul was talking about the Old Testament. Some of the NT books weren't even written yet when 2 Timothy was written.

-Chris

"ALL SCRIPTURE" encompasses the past, the present and the future. Everything in the NT is considered the WORD of God unless you think that, for the sake of APOSTOLIC TRADITION, some parts of the NT are FALSE if they do NOT conform with what you believe in.

Ed

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by Wolseley

So, now you're equating Catholicism with the Mormons, the Jehovah's Witnesses, and the Christian Scientists, eh, ed?

Can you give me any assurances that the Iglesia Ni Cristo isn't a fringe cult like the ones you named? ;)

Wolseley,

The Iglesia Ni Cristo is the ONLY church in these last days that has the TESTIMONY of Jesus which is the SPIRIT OF PROPHECY.

The re-emergence of the TRUE church of Christ in the FAR EAST at a time called "ends of the earth" is the FULFILLMENT of PROPHECIES recorded in the Holy Bible.

Also, the Iglesia Ni Cristo is the ONLY church that teaches doctrines that come from God.

Everyone is invited to attend the Bible Studies and Worship Services of the INC in order to acquire first-hand information about the INC that might aid them in making intelligent decisions regarding their salvation.

Ed

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Iglesia Ni Cristo is the ONLY church in these last days that has the TESTIMONY of Jesus which is the SPIRIT OF PROPHECY.

The re-emergence of the TRUE church of Christ in the FAR EAST at a time called "ends of the earth" is the FULFILLMENT of PROPHECIES recorded in the Holy Bible.

Also, the Iglesia Ni Cristo is the ONLY church that teaches doctrines that come from God.
Well, that's fine, ed. I'm glad it works for you and that you have found a fellowship where you feel comfortable. :)

You will, of course, indulge me if I don't happen to agree. I guess I'll just have to go on being deceived by all those false doctrines that don't come from God. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00

Well, that's fine, ed. I'm glad it works for you and that you have found a fellowship where you feel comfortable. :)

You will, of course, indulge me if I don't happen to agree. I guess I'll just have to go on being deceived by all those false doctrines that don't come from God. :rolleyes:

Wolseley,

I bet NOBODY has taught you that it was the church that Christ built (Matt. 16:18) that Christ PURCHASED with his own blood (Acts 20:28).

And NOBODY has taught you that Christ LOVED his church so much that he GAVE himself FOR it (Eph. 5:25).

And NOBODY has taught you that Christ is the SAVIOR of the church, HIS body (Eph. 5:23).

My friend, that church is the Iglesia Ni Cristo where I am a MEMBER in particular (Rom. 12:4-5).

The Iglesia Ni Cristo is NOT only for fellowship my friend. The gates of Hades [color=red[]will NOT prevail
against her. That's why Jesus said that anyone who ENTERS in by him will be saved (John 10:9).

I wish you could say that for your church, but you woudn't because you CAN'T!

Ed[/color]

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, but I can, and I do, ed. Everything you just said is absolutely correct, and perfectly applicable to the One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church, headquartered in Rome, and led by the Pope.

And, by broader extension, to the entire Christian Faith as well. Including the Iglesia Ni Cristo.

Benedicat vos omnipotens Deus, Pater, et Filius, et Spiritus Sanctus,
---Wols.

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Oh, but I can, and I do, ed. Everything you just said is absolutely correct, and perfectly applicable to the One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church, headquartered in Rome, and led by the Pope.

And, by broader extension, to the entire Christian Faith as well. Including the Iglesia Ni Cristo.

Benedicat vos omnipotens Deus, Pater, et Filius, et Spiritus Sanctus,
---Wols.

Wolseley,

The church is Christ's BODY of which Christ is the HEAD (Col. 1:18). As such, the church is SUBJECT to Christ (Eph. 5:24).

Do you know what this means? It means that the church OBEYS Christ's teachings and ABIDES in his every word.

Christ says he is a MAN (John 8:40) and the FATHER is the ONLY true God (John 17:3). Does your church ABIDE in these teachings of Christ?

Is the FATHER your church's ONLY true God? Do you expect Christ to save a church that does NOT subject herself to him? Doesn't that sound like WISHFUL thinking to you my friend?

Ed

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fighting over which Church holds the keys to Salvation?Sometimes I wonder if we know the same Jesus? Sometimes I wonder if we read the same Bible? Even the smallest of child knows it is not a "Church" that saves. That is like saying... it is the hammer that builds the house. :rolleyes:

:) LOVE

Upvote 0
Originally posted by edpobre

Ed, Greetings to you,

I am reminded of the following scriptures while reading your post.

The living stone the builders rejected, is Jesus.

1 Pet 2
Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.[/ B]
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

His people know who is the foundation to the body of christ, the Church of the first born.

Richard

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Catchup
Fighting over which Church holds the keys to Salvation?Sometimes I wonder if we know the same Jesus? Sometimes I wonder if we read the same Bible? Even the smallest of child knows it is not a "Church" that saves. That is like saying... it is the hammer that builds the house. :rolleyes:

When a local pastor came by to witness to us recently, he made it totally clear that going to his church wouldn't get anyone to heaven, he just wanted people to know about Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This was the post in which you said that, if I pressed quote, the text would be pasted in. I have not edited your text.

The "quote" button ignores anything between a QUOTE in square brackets and the corresponding /QUOTE in square brackets... So, when you edit everything entirely inside that, using color to distinguish your words, it's impossible to quote you without cutting and pasting.

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by seebs

When a local pastor came by to witness to us recently, he made it totally clear that going to his church wouldn't get anyone to heaven, he just wanted people to know about Christ.

Seebs,

Did the Pastor ASSUME that people in your church did NOT yet know about Christ and that's why he wanted you to go to his church?

How did the Pastor of your church feel about this? Does your Pastor go around churches telling the same story?

Ed

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by Catchup

Catchup,

We have NEVER claimed that it is the church that saves. The Iglesia Ni Cristo also believes and accepts that Jesus is the SAVIOR. But the question is: "WHO is Christ going to save?"

The Bible teaches that Christ BUILT his CHURCH and promised that the gates of hell will NOT prevail against it (Matt. 16:18).

The Bible also teaches that Christ LOVED his CHURCH that he GAVE his life for it (Eph. 5:25).

The Bible further teaches that Christ PURCHASED (redeemed) his CHURCH with his own blood (Acts 20:28).

WHOSE sins were forgiven through the blood of Christ? Naturally, the CHURCH that Christ REDEEMED with his own blood receives forgiveness of sins.

Therefore, as the Bible says, Christ is the SAVIOR of the CHURCH, HIS body (Eph. 5:23).

Thus, while it is true that the CHURCH does NOT save, it is equally true that ONLY the CHURCH that was REDEEMED by the blood of Christ will be saved.

However, NOT every church out there is the church that Christ will save. The CHURCH that Christ PURCHASED with his own blood is identified in the Bible as the Church of Christ (Rom. 16:16) or more specifically, the Iglesia Ni Cristo (INC) which was prophesied in the Bible to re-emerge at a specific place (far east) and time (ends of the earth) (Is. 43:5-6). And they will be called by the name of God (Is. 43:7). That name is the name that God GAVE Jesus (John 17:11 TEV) That name is CHRIST or CRISTO (Acts 2:36; Rom. 16:16).

That's the reason why we strive to make this TRUTH known so that more souls will be saved on judgment day.

Ed

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Seebs,

Did the Pastor ASSUME that people in your church did NOT yet know about Christ and that's why he wanted you to go to his church?

How did the Pastor of your church feel about this? Does your Pastor go around churches telling the same story?

Ed

(Thanks for fixing the quoting!)

The pastor wanted to witness to everyone in the area, church or no church - and he did a good job of making it clear that Christ is the important part, and any church or no church will be fine as long as you accept Christ.

I can't say much about the pastor of *my* church; haven't been in a long time. I've had some serious thinking to do, and it's taken the better part of ten years to get my head in order. Lucky for me God is patient.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
However, NOT every church out there is the church that Christ will save. The CHURCH that Christ PURCHASED with his own blood is identified in the Bible as the Church of Christ (Rom. 16:16) or more specifically, the Iglesia Ni Cristo (INC) which was prophesied in the Bible to re-emerge at a specific place (far east) and time (ends of the earth) (Is. 43:5-6). And they will be called by the name of God (Is. 43:7). That name is the name that God GAVE Jesus (John 17:11 TEV) That name is CHRIST or CRISTO (Acts 2:36; Rom. 16:16).

That's the reason why we strive to make this TRUTH known so that more souls will be saved on judgment day.

This would work...if your Truth was not a lie !

I repeat....
Even the smallest of child knows it is not a "Church" that saves. That is like saying... it is the hammer that builds the house.

If a physical Church was the important factor in salvation then Jesus, being a carpenter , would have set his Apostles to work... building the Church. He would have erected a sign with the name of this Church . Then there would have been no question. Whose Church is the only Church that can save!

This is not what happened...instead the Apostles went out and spread the gospel. The "Good News"...So that who ever heard and received the message would be saved.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The true Church is the spiritual embodiment of all Christians.

John 4:23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Catchup,

You wrote:
If a physical Church was the important factor in salvation then Jesus, being a carpenter , would have set his Apostles to work... building the Church. He would have erected a sign with the name of this Church . Then there would have been no question. Whose Church is the only Church that can save!
Who says the church of Christ is a building? When Jesus said, "...I will build MY church..." (Matt. 16:18), did he go about and constructed a building called "church?" No my friend. He started GATHERING people around him and MADE them his DISCIPLES through his preaching the good news of salvation.

The church is composed of people who BELIEVE in Jesus and ABIDE in his words (Acts 8:31). They are his DISCIPLES who were later called Christians first in Antioch (Acts 11:26).[/color][/b]

You wrote:
This is not what happened...instead the Apostles went out and spread the gospel. The "Good News"...So that who ever heard and received the message would be saved.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Hearing and receiving the message are NOT enough for one to be saved.

Christ is the SAVIOR of the church (Eph. 5:23) Christ LOVED the church so much that he GAVE his life for it (Eph. 5:25). Redemption through the blood of Christ and forgiveness of sins can be found only INSIDE the church which Christ built because that is HIS church which he PURCHASED with his own blood (Acts 20:28). The name of that church is CHURCH OF CHRIST and members of the church were called "churches of Christ" (Rom. 16:16).

You wrote:
The true Church is the spiritual embodiment of all Christians.

The belief that the true church is the SPIRITUAL embodiment of ALL Christians is FALSE. As I said earlier, the true church of Christ is COMPOSED of INDIVIDUAL members (Rom. 12:4-5) who believe in Jesus and ABIDE in his teachings.

They all BELONG to the SAME body with ONE spirit, ONE hope, ONE faith, ONE baptism, ONE God, the FATHER and ONE Lord, Jesus Christ (Eph. 4:4-6).

Acts 20:17 teaches that "from Miletus, Paul SENT to Ephesus and CALLED for the elders of the CHURCH. Paul was able to call the elders because all the churches that were spread over the Gentile regions BELONGED to the SAME church without any DENOMINATION. This would NOT have been possible if he church were a spiritual church as preached by most churches today.

You wrote:
John 4:23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.

True worshippers are found only in the true church of Christ.

The FATHER seeks true worshippers to worship Him in spirit and TRUTH. God is a spirit and HIS worshippers MUST worship in spirit and TRUTH. Members of the TRUE church of Christ or Iglesia Ni Cristo WORSHIP the FATHER alone as the God who seeks TRUE worshippers to WORSHIP Him in spirit and truth.

Ed

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.