Foundation of the Church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eph 2:19-20
Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner stone

Ro 15:20
And so I have made it my aim to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named , lest I should build on another man's foundation.

1 Cor 3:11
For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ

My question... who is more importance as the foundation of the Church: Jesus or the apostles???

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Jesus, of course. I can already see where this is leading -- why can't you just ask the question instead of slyly leading up to it? Catholicism does not teach that Peter alone is the foundation of the church, or that he rose above Jesus in his role. That's just your take on the doctrine.

-Chris

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure -

deadhorse.jpg

JOHN...you have beaten this poor horse dead. You will only find those who are non-Catholic to accept your position that Peter is not the rock.

GIVE IT A REST!

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Catchup:

No, it's not the CATHOLICS who are tired....it's the questions. You guys are just repeating the same old stuff that's been around for centuries.

To JohnP:

Jesus is the Head of the Church....however, He left. And he appointed Peter to take over for Him while He's gone.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Catchup:

Yup, His SPIRIT is here....guiding the Church.

If you go on vacation, and you don't take your doggie with you, you go next door to the neighbor. You take a key, a bag of dog food, and you ask the neighbor to pick up your paper and your mail, and to feed your doggie while you are gone.

After the Resurrection, Jesus knew He was leaving, to go back to the Father. He went to Peter, and said, "Feed My Sheep."

Jesus is the Good Shepherd! He had to leave, but He made sure the sheep were watched over while He was gone!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Catchup:

I'm VERY serious.

And WHERE did you get the idea He taught all the others for NOTHING? I NEVER said anything like that!

Peter was given the LEADERSHIP OVER THE ENTIRE CHURCH. The other Apostles were also leaders within the Church. But you can't have a dozen leaders, Catchup. We don't have twelve Presidents. Paul even talks about the Husband being the leader of the household, with the wife being submissive.

Don't try to read things between the lines, Hon.

Peace,
~VOW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think I will just smile :D and sit this one out.

But can you help me remember. It was only one verse and only one time in the Bible that Jesus called a man Satan...

Who was that??? :D

Just messing with you. I have that Cinderella complex...after midnight I turn into a total jerk!

:) LOVE

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But can you help me remember. It was only one verse and only one time in the Bible that Jesus called a man Satan...
But that wasn't Peter, Catchup!

(Standard Protestant Translational Device For Interpreting Matthew 16:18 ON)

Remember when Jesus was standing there saying, "Upon this rock I will build My Church", and He wasn't pointing to Peter, but rather to himself?

Same thing here. When Jesus said "Get behind Me, Satan", He wasn't talking to Peter at all; rather, He was addressing Satan, who was standing nearby, selling poisoned apples for 5 cents apeice.

(Standard Protestant Translational Device For Interpreting Matthew 16:18, Now Applied To Matthew 16:23 OFF)

See how simple it is? You just have to get the right interpretation! :D

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Remember when Jesus was standing there saying, "Upon this rock I will build My Church", and He wasn't pointing to Peter, but rather to himself?

Same thing here. When Jesus said "Get behind Me, Satan", He wasn't talking to Peter at all; rather, He was addressing Satan, who was standing nearby, selling poisoned apples for 5 cents apeice.

Wolseley!!!! Two for two!!! We agree again!

I think there is hope! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
>chief corner stone<

In Biblical times, buildings were constructed by accurately positioning a single cornerstone, then aligning all the others in the building to it.

1 Peter 2:4 As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him-- 5you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6For in Scripture it says:

"See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
will never be put to shame.
7Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,

"The stone the builders rejected
has become the capstone,
8and,

"A stone that causes men to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall.

They stumble because they disobey the message--which is also what they were destined for.
9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

WOW!!!! I am reaching agreements with Wolseley and NOW understanding Stephen!

Vow...Your next! :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.