Jan 20, 2012
Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wrong. Try again.

In Rome Saturnalia was the biggest celebration of the year. Christians co-opted it.

Saturnalia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've noticed that history isn't a subject that creationists tend to know much about. I guess if one is spending one's time focussing on the contents of the bible and thinking that is the be all and end all of everything then the rather more important 99.99% of world history isn't going to be in one's frame of reference.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I assume the subject of Christmas is a total derail from the OP, but I'll play this game...

Christmas only got big when Jesus got involved in it.

Actually, Christmas didn't get big until the American civil war when Union propaganda incorporated Santa Claus. The artist was a German immigrant named Thomas Nast - the man credited with creating the Republican party elephant.

Christmas wasn't made a Federal holiday until after the war.

Christmas in the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Christmas Civil War: How wartime art helped cement new holiday traditions

The Christmas tree was originally a German immigrant tradition. We didn't even have our first national Christmas tree until the 1920's!

Christmas tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every December, the USA embarks on a colossal project to recreate the Christmases of the childhood of the baby boomers. An "American tradition" is anything that has happened to a baby boomer at least twice. ;)

tradition.png

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wrong. Try again.

In Rome Saturnalia was the biggest celebration of the year. Christians co-opted it.
Christmas was after Christ came. If we want to ask how many people felt that the Saturn festival was the most wonderful time of the year worldwide, compared to how many celebrate Christmas I think Christmas wins hands down. The Saturn thing is more like a remnant of a fallen empire. Remembering the Christmas Kid is forever.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I assume the subject of Christmas is a total derail from the OP, but I'll play this game...

Actually, Christmas didn't get big until the American civil war when Union propaganda incorporated Santa Claus. The artist was a German immigrant named Thomas Nast - the man credited with creating the Republican party elephant.

Christmas wasn't made a Federal holiday until after the war.

Christmas in the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Christmas Civil War: How wartime art helped cement new holiday traditions

The Christmas tree was originally a German immigrant tradition. We didn't even have our first national Christmas tree until the 1920's!

Christmas tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every December, the USA embarks on a colossal project to recreate the Christmases of the childhood of the baby boomers. An "American tradition" is anything that has happened to a baby boomer at least twice. ;)
As I said, Christ was the thing that carried Christmas to the top. If we want to focus on some saint, remember that saint refers to a believer in Christ. Sanctified believer.

Baby boomers are a result of war, to a large extent. Perhaps the last big war where people actually thought God was on their side. Probably not many think that today.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Perhaps the last big war where people actually thought God was on their side.

Fortunately, though, the Nazis were defeated by the allied forces despite their belief that God was on their side.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fortunately, though, the Nazis were defeated by the allied forces despite their belief that God was on their side.
Exactly. I do not think God was on either side. The point was that many Christians were fooled into dying for what they thought was liberty and a godly and Christian society. I doubt that a majority would think that now...even a minority of any size?

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Exactly. I do not think God was on either side. The point was that many Christians were fooled into dying for what they thought was liberty and a godly and Christian society. I doubt that a majority would think that now...even a minority of any size?

Wow, a post from you I completely agree with. Nice one. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I have believed in evolution for many years but now in my 60s and starting to have doubts. I mean if we look at fish they have always been fish, I have never seen a fish turn into a bird. Also when I went to the zoo a few weeks ago I asked myself if we evolved from monkeys then why are these monkeys still here, surely if evolution was true then monkeys wouldn't be about? But they are, so it now makes sense to me that man did not evolve from the monkeys.

I am also skeptical about ants, was there really a common ancestor, if so what was it? A mini ant? But ants are already small. Also it's hard to vision sea plankton evolving from a rock because that's what evolution says, it says organisms came from matter and rocks originally. Sounds like a fairy-tale to me. I used to be an orthodox Christian but now I'm a spiritualist. There are cases of ectoplasm spirits telling humans in the séance room that evolution is a hoax. Am I on the right path? Are the spirits right and evolution is a hoax?

Please comment and let me know.

Tyler Snotgern MU

Good bye.

Yeah. I didn't think this charade would last long.

Upvote 0