Tennessee
✟66,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So I've never been Catholic, but have contemplated it over the course of the last 10 years. I grew up Presbyterian and went to a Catholic high school. Love Mass, but some doctrine issues bother me. I don't mean this as an attack, but I don't know why the RCC feels the need to try and define everything. Just let mystery be mystery.

I needed a church that believed Real Presence. I consider myself a conservative Christian and found the LCMS and they have a few churches in my town. We have 3 services on Sunday, with total attendance of about 500. I've never felt more at home at a church than I have at this one.

I love Lutheran theology and the more I read it, the more I find myself just nodding in agreement with it.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So I've never been Catholic, but have contemplated it over the course of the last 10 years. I grew up Presbyterian and went to a Catholic high school. Love Mass, but some doctrine issues bother me. I don't mean this as an attack, but I don't know why the RCC feels the need to try and define everything. Just let mystery be mystery.

I needed a church that believed Real Presence. I consider myself a conservative Christian and found the LCMS and they have a few churches in my town. We have 3 services on Sunday, with total attendance of about 500. I've never felt more at home at a church than I have at this one.

I love Lutheran theology and the more I read it, the more I find myself just nodding in agreement with it.

My biggest problem with Catholicism was their ban on artificial birth control. That bothered me until I had a hysterectomy. And yes, I still used birth control despite it being forbidden.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I needed a church that believed Real Presence.

I like that, too, even though two people who’ve voiced their opinions about this, my Catholic friend and my former priest, say you can only receive Jesus in a Catholic Mass.
Frankly, the idea of Lutheran beliefs about the Real Presence make much more sense to me than transubstantiation. Still, my former priest said that he was “upset” I left Catholicism for Lutheranism.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I’m a former Catholic (though they say if once a Catholic, forever a Catholic). I recently joined the Lutheran LCMS. I was wondering how many Lutherans here are former Catholics?

I started out Methodist, so not Catholic, but I understand what it's like to switch. And I married into an ancient Lutheran family. That was interesting.

If you're like me, you will learn to love the LCMS.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I started out Methodist, so not Catholic, but I understand what it's like to switch. And I married into an ancient Lutheran family. That was interesting.

If you're like me, you will learn to love the LCMS.

So far I really love my church. I checked out five churches, I think, but I kept coming back to the Lutheran Church. And now that I know some people it’s even better.

I do a Bible Study Sunday morning and there’s about a half hour between the end of Bible Study and the service I attend. Three times now I went to their Food Court for a donut and tea.....tons of people and everybody is so friendly. Twice I had someone to sit and chat with.

And after church people aren’t in a rush to leave. They stick around for awhile and talk. My Catholic Church’s parking lot empties right away.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So far I really love my church. I checked out five churches, I think, but I kept coming back to the Lutheran Church. And now that I know some people it’s even better.

I do a Bible Study Sunday morning and there’s about a half hour between the end of Bible Study and the service I attend. Three times now I went to their Food Court for a donut and tea.....tons of people and everybody is so friendly. Twice I had someone to sit and chat with.

And after church people aren’t in a rush to leave. They stick around for awhile and talk. My Catholic Church’s parking lot empties right away.

I'm glad you feel comfortable there. Church community is important to me.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad you feel comfortable there. Church community is important to me.

Me too. I did make a lot of friends at the CC, too. I became friends with one woman and then she introduced me to many more. Most of them are a lot older than I am, though, and I’d like to make more friends my own age at church.

Upvote 0