Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have asked many people on this forum about forgiveness and I have been a forgiving person all of my life... It was much harder to forgive my enemies but I always chose to forgive but this has been the hardest area.

i was pretty much at peace with myself yesterday because i thought about Jesus being inside of me and Jesus being very forgiving so it was like him and i together forgave others. But then I thought about when Jesus breathed on the apostles and said those you forgive will be forgiven and those you don't forgive will not be forgiven...and this puts a monkey wrench into my thoughts.

Last night I had a dream and people from all around the world were in my dream and we were going through an obstacle course and I stood there and kept asking everyone through the whole dream if people everywhere believed in forgiveness and if other religions used forgiveness and it was as if i knew that everyone believed in forgiveness and it looked just like what Christians do...they forgive to release themselves...so I was standing there in my dream wanting to know what the difference was between Christian and non christians as far as forgiveness and there was none...but then I knew there was a difference and I thought of Jesus and all he said on forgiveness before he died on the cross.

I understand about our forgiveness through the last sacrifice...this is not the question...the question is about the forgiveness we give to those who hurt us...why does it looked the same as the worlds way of forgiving?

Bobby64

Jun 23, 2012
Somewhere
✟16,666.00
Country
Gambia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hmm... Interesting thoughts. Well, the Christian way of forgiving doesn't always look like the world's. JC commands us to LOVE those who have wronged us, whereas most people are okay just not boiling in anger.

We must also remember that God's nature is in everyone, even if the fall has blurred it. So they're bound to reflect God in some ways even if they don't realize where that power to forgive is coming from.

Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Bobby's right.

As Proverbs 14:12 says, the ways of the world may seem right, but they don't end up right. Not holding grudges is good; having the godly mentality to greet a foe with a smile is better. I've struggled with forgiveness for years, but I ask God to soften my heart daily, and I can feel Him doing just that. I encourage fellow believers to do likewise.

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm... Interesting thoughts. Well, the Christian way of forgiving doesn't always look like the world's. JC commands us to LOVE those who have wronged us, whereas most people are okay just not boiling in anger.

We must also remember that God's nature is in everyone, even if the fall has blurred it. So they're bound to reflect God in some ways even if they don't realize where that power to forgive is coming from.

My husband said my question came from my subconscience because I never even thought to ask this question...even in my dream I was amazed that I had never thought to ask this question.
After my dream I also thought how that God is everywhere and putting upon people the desire to forgive ...that that might be the reason the world wants to forgive in order to find peace.

My question that does roll around in my head alot that possibly led to the question in my dream is how do we not know that our enemies are not forgiven? Everyone says they are not truly forgiven that it is between them and God and first they must repent...This morning I'm looking up binding the strong man and I'm reflecting on that in that maybe forgiving someone binds the strongman somehow ...I know the strong man is the devil...I know alot of people feel that sickness is a spirit and I know Jesus when he healed would forgive...so I'm putting the pieces together that make sense and of course putting my thoughts out here in case I am wrong in order to not go on the wrong path of thinking.
:angel:

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My husband said my question came from my subconscience because I never even thought to ask this question...even in my dream I was amazed that I had never thought to ask this question.
After my dream I also thought how that God is everywhere and putting upon people the desire to forgive ...that that might be the reason the world wants to forgive in order to find peace.

My question that does roll around in my head alot that possibly led to the question in my dream is how do we not know that our enemies are not forgiven? Everyone says they are not truly forgiven that it is between them and God and first they must repent...This morning I'm looking up binding the strong man and I'm reflecting on that in that maybe forgiving someone binds the strongman somehow ...I know the strong man is the devil...I know alot of people feel that sickness is a spirit and I know Jesus when he healed would forgive...so I'm putting the pieces together that make sense and of course putting my thoughts out here in case I am wrong in order to not go on the wrong path of thinking.
God is not bound by the dictionary to define His words and “forgiving” is one of those words Christ gives us God’s definition and it is very different.

Under Christ’s definition forgiveness is not “one sided”. We are to do our part in forgiving everyone and anyone just as God forgives everyone, but that does not mean true (Godly type) forgiveness has taken place, because those being forgiven have a part to play and that is correctly accepting forgiveness as “charity”.

Christ’s disciples had the same problem with forgiveness and were using a similar definition as you do.

The main place to learn this is with Jesus’ parable poorly titled “Unmerciful Servant” Matt. 18: 21-35.

I have taught this parable before by asking 30 questions, which takes times and lots of other scripture knowledge.

To begin with you need to understand how Jesus addresses questions and comments. Does Jesus always address the comment or question directly or does Jesus address the “question” on the person’s heart that will help that person reach the greater spiritual understanding he needs?

In Matt. 18:22 does Jesus give a complete answer to Peter’s question?

After Peter and the others with Christ get His answer (imagine you being there as a disciple) what would be your comeback question?

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well no one agreed with me on the cain and lamech thing as far as those numbers relating...but what I got from it was God did punish Cain and that if anyone tried to get revenge they would get punished seven times worse...not sure how that fits with forgiving someone seven times...the Lamech thing though ..i thought of Lamech and how they had the same offering to God as abel did plus more and when Lamech murdered the one man he said the other number seventy times seven fold number....I did not see Lamech get punished by God though....he did die at 777 years of age if that somehow ties in....but all in all revenge is not ours it is Gods...but still not sure why God did not punish Lamech.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Yes, forgiving, and turning the other cheek, are wonderful medicines that create peace where there is conflict and disharmony. It heals the soul of the offender, when humbly accepted, but also the offended.

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chosing to forgive is a step but loving as we forgive is a must. I think something does happen for our enemies when we forgive through love and we are told to pray for them...I think God does step in for them...i don't think it is a one sided thing that helps only us the forgivers...it helps our enemies to have God work in their lives...

I'm still learning ....

Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
Hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3)
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, TamaraLynne.

I have a question:

Does God command us to forgive those who don't repent?

I'm asking...and here are some reasons why:

"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." - Matthew 18:15-20

This recorded teaching of Jesus precedes both Peter's question in relation to forgiveness which seems to have been prompted by Jesus' teaching and Jesus' consequential parable on the topic of forgiveness in response to Peter's question. Let's, therefore, examine Jesus' teaching before moving on to both Peter's question and Christ's response to the same, okay?

For starters, Jesus taught that if our brother trespasses or sins against us, then we are to go and tell him his fault between him and us alone. What, then, is the purpose of such a visit? To simply "forgive"? No, to hopefully bring about repentance first or to see whether or not he will "hear us" or else the rest of Jesus' words bear no meaning whatsoever. IOW, if our trespassing brother doesn't hear us and repent when we confront him of his trespass against us one on one, then we are instructed by Jesus to take two or three others with us, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word my be established. Again, what is the purpose of returning to the trespassing brother if we are just to arbitrarily forgive him apart from repentance on his part? It makes no sense and that is not what Jesus was teaching here. No, instead Jesus instructed the one who was unable to bring his trespassing brother to a place of repentance via a one on one encounter to bring others with him now to attempt the same or to attempt to bring the trespassing brother to a place of repentance. Again, if the trespassing brother still wouldn't repent, even in the face of other witnesses, then he was not to be forgiven, but instead the matter was to be told unto the entire church that the trespassing brother might repent before the same. If, however, the trespassing brother "neglected to hear the church", then he was to be treated like a heathen or a publican. Again, I see absolutely no forgiveness being offered apart from repentance. In fact, in a similar account, Jesus plainly said:

"Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him." - Luke 17:3-4

My dear sister in Christ, Jesus taught forgiveness based upon REPENTANCE.

In what we've already read from Matthew chapter 18, Jesus also said:

"Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." - Matthew 18:18

This "binding" and "loosing", contextually, was in relation to not forgiving ("binding") if there is no repentance and forgiving ("loosing") if there is repentance. Yes, if you read Matthew 18:27, then you will see that "loosing" and "forgiving" are synonymous, so this is the manner in which Jesus expected His use of such words to be understood. In fact, this "binding" and "loosing" in relation to either not forgiving or forgiving is precisely what Jesus was talking about in a portion of scripture which you already referenced, namely this:

"And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained." - John 20:22-23

Yes, this "retaining" is synonymous with "binding" and this "remitting" is synonymous with "loosing". By what standard, then, did Jesus teach that we are to "remit"? There's no need to guess:

"And he said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things." - Luke 24:46-48

Jesus instructed His disciples to preach "repentance and the remission of sins", "beginning at Jerusalem", and this is precisely what His disciples preached. We read:

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." - Acts 2:38

Again, a command to "Repent" preceded the offer "for the remission of sins". In his next sermon, Peter preached:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord..." - Acts 3:19

Again, the command to "Repent" preceded the offer to have their "sins blotted out" or to have their sins "remitted". And so it goes.

Back to Matthew 18:

"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?" - Matthew 18:21

"THEN Peter came to him..."

IOW, Peter's question certainly seemed to have been prompted by what Jesus had just finished saying. It's also interesting to note that Peter asked if he had to forgive his brother seven times, as that is the exact number that Jesus used in Luke 17:3-4, even as I've already quoted. Also, please remember that Jesus included the prerequisite of "repentance" in relation to said "forgiveness" there. Anyhow, on to Jesus' response to Peter's question:

"Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt." - Matthew 18:22-27

Let's pause here for a moment and consider what prompted this servant who owed a debt to the king (God) to be loosed or forgiven of the same. Well, for starters, he didn't deny that he owed the debt. IOW, he accepted his blame. Secondly, he "fell down and worshipped" the king (God) which speaks to me of contrition and a desire for reconciliation. Thirdly, he was willing to make restitution for the debt which he owed or to undo his wrong. Lastly, the king (God), having seen the aforementioned, "was moved with compassion and loosed him and forgave him the debt". What if this servant hadn't accepted his blame? What if this servant had no contrition and didn't seek reconciliation? What if this servant wasn't willing to make restitution for the debt which he owed or for his wrongdoing? Would he still have been loosed from His debt by the king (God)? Basically, what I'm asking is this:

Does God forgive US apart from repentance?

I don't see where He does. Not here. Not anywhere.

Finishing out the parable, we read:

"But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. And his fellow-servant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. So when his fellow-servants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellow-servant, even as I had pity on thee? And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespass." - Matthew 18:28-35

Why did the king (God) say that he forgave this servant his debt?

"...because thou desiredst me..."

Again, there was repentance on the part of the servant and God, therefore, forgave him or loosed him of his debt. What, then, was this "wicked servant's" sin? Well, when he encountered a fellow-servant who "besought him, saying, Have patience with me and I will pay thee all" or when he encountered somebody who was accepting their debt, seeking reconciliation and offering restitution", he didn't have compassion on the same and loose him of his debt. Again, he was guilty of not forgiving someone who was REPENTING. There are instances where we are to "shake the dust off of our feet as a testimony" against people or to tell them that their sins are still "retained" unto them based upon their wilingness to embrace or reject the gospel of Jesus Christ and what is contained or taught therein. Here's another example of what I'm attempting to say:

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whoseover shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore if thou bringest thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath aught against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. Agree with thine advesary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing." - Matthew 5:21-26

There are justifiable "causes" why we might be "angry with our brother". The way that I read this, if we have a brother who has justifiable aught against us, then we are to put away all religious gifts and sacrifices and go and be reconciled unto our brother THROUGH REPENTANCE before bringing any said gifts or sacrifices unto God. Why? Well, if we don't, then the brother who has justifiable aught against us may "deliver us to the judge" (Jesus is the Final Judge) and the judge may cast us into prison or into hell fire for not having REPENTED of our sins against our brother, thereby being reconciled unto him.

Anyhow, again, I don't see forgiveness being offered in scripture apart from repentance...at least not in the passages which I've just addressed. Of course, I'm not suggesting, not even for a nanosecond, that the offended party take matters into his own hands or let a root of bitterness grow within him, but I am suggesting that there are justifiable reasons or "causes" in scripture to break fellowship with individuals. Also, I would heartily recommend that prayer be made for the impenitent brother at all times.

Well, this will probably start off a firestorm of criticism my way (and I don't necessarily mean from you), but that's fine. After all, I've wanted to discuss this topic for quite some time myself, so now is as good a time as any, I suppose.

Btw, before somebody mentions how Jesus prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" from the cross, I'd ask the same to document how any of those whom Jesus prayed for at this time were actually forgiven apart from genuine repentance. Again, the first place that Jesus taught His disciples to preach "repentance and the remission of sins" was in Jerusalem or in the place where He was sentenced to be crucified. Read the recorded sermons in the book of Acts and see what people like Peter and Paul preached. They basically told their hearers that they had crucified Christ (IOW, they were addressing some of the very same people whom Jesus asked the Father to forgive) and told them that they needed to REPENT. IOW, Jesus' prayer to the Father was not to be answered apart from genuine REPENTANCE on the parts of those whom He prayed for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, TamaraLynne.

I have a question:

"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." - Matthew 18:15-20

This recorded teaching of Jesus precedes both Peter's question in relation to forgiveness which seems to have been prompted by Jesus' teaching and Jesus' consequential parable on the topic of forgiveness in response to Peter's question. Let's, therefore, examine Jesus' teaching before moving on to both Peter's question and Christ's response to the same, okay?

For starters, Jesus taught that if our brother trespasses or sins against us, then we are to go and tell him his fault between him and us alone. What, then, is the purpose of such a visit? To simply "forgive"? No, to hopefully bring about repentance first or to see whether or not he will "hear us" or else the rest of Jesus' words bear no meaning whatsoever. IOW, if our trespassing brother doesn't hear us and repent when we confront him of his trespass against us one on one, then we are instructed by Jesus to take two or three others with us, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word my be established. Again, what is the purpose of returning to the trespassing brother if we are just to arbitrarily forgive him apart from repentance on his part? It makes no sense and that is not what Jesus was teaching here. No, instead Jesus instructed the one who was unable to bring his trespassing brother to a place of repentance via a one on one encounter to bring others with him now to attempt the same or to attempt to bring the trespassing brother to a place of repentance. Again, if the trespassing brother still wouldn't repent, even in the face of other witnesses, then he was not to be forgiven, but instead the matter was to be told unto the entire church that the trespassing brother might repent before the same. If, however, the trespassing brother "neglected to hear the church", then he was to be treated like a heathen or a publican. Again, I see absolutely no forgiveness being offered apart from repentance. In fact, in a similar account, Jesus plainly said:

"Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him." - Luke 17:3-4

"Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." - Matthew 18:18

This "binding" and "loosing", contextually, was in relation to not forgiving ("binding") if there is no repentance and forgiving ("loosing") if there is repentance. Yes, if you read Matthew 18:27, then you will see that "loosing" and "forgiving" are synonymous, so this is the manner in which Jesus expected His use of such words to be understood. In fact, this "binding" and "loosing" in relation to either not forgiving or forgiving is precisely what Jesus was talking about in a portion of scripture which you already referenced, namely this:

"And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained." - John 20:22-23

Yes, this "retaining" is synonymous with "binding" and this "remitting" is synonymous with "loosing". By what standard, then, did Jesus teach that we are to "remit"? There's no need to guess:

"And he said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things." - Luke 24:46-48

Jesus instructed His disciples to preach "repentance and the remission of sins", "beginning at Jerusalem", and this is precisely what His disciples preached. We read:

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." - Acts 2:38

Again, a command to "Repent" preceded the offer "for the remission of sins". In his next sermon, Peter preached:

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord..." - Acts 3:19

Again, the command to "Repent" preceded the offer to have their "sins blotted out" or to have their sins "remitted". And so it goes.

Back to Matthew 18:

"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?" - Matthew 18:21

IOW, Peter's question certainly seemed to have been prompted by what Jesus had just finished saying. It's also interesting to note that Peter asked if he had to forgive his brother seven times, as that is the exact number that Jesus used in Luke 17:3-4, even as I've already quoted. Also, please remember that Jesus included the prerequisite of "repentance" in relation to said "forgiveness" there. Anyhow, on to Jesus' response to Peter's question:

"Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt." - Matthew 18:22-27

Let's pause here for a moment and consider what prompted this servant who owed a debt to the king (God) to be loosed or forgiven of the same. Well, for starters, he didn't deny that he owed the debt. IOW, he accepted his blame. Secondly, he "fell down and worshipped" the king (God) which speaks to me of contrition and a desire for reconciliation. Thirdly, he was willing to make restitution for the debt which he owed or to undo his wrong. Lastly, the king (God), having seen the aforementioned, "was moved with compassion and loosed him and forgave him the debt". What if this servant hadn't accepted his blame? What if this servant had no contrition and didn't seek reconciliation? What if this servant wasn't willing to make restitution for the debt which he owed or for his wrongdoing? Would he still have been loosed from His debt by the king (God)? Basically, what I'm asking is this:

"But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. And his fellow-servant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. So when his fellow-servants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellow-servant, even as I had pity on thee? And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespass." - Matthew 18:28-35

Again, there was repentance on the part of the servant and God, therefore, forgave him or loosed him of his debt. What, then, was this "wicked servant's" sin? Well, when he encountered a fellow-servant who "besought him, saying, Have patience with me and I will pay thee all" or when he encountered somebody who was accepting their debt, seeking reconciliation and offering restitution", he didn't have compassion on the same and loose him of his debt. Again, he was guilty of not forgiving someone who was REPENTING. There are instances where we are to "shake the dust off of our feet as a testimony" against people or to tell them that their sins are still "retained" unto them based upon their wilingness to embrace or reject the gospel of Jesus Christ and what is contained or taught therein. Here's another example of what I'm attempting to say:

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whoseover shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore if thou bringest thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath aught against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. Agree with thine advesary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing." - Matthew 5:21-26

There are justifiable "causes" why we might be "angry with our brother". The way that I read this, if we have a brother who has justifiable aught against us, then we are to put away all religious gifts and sacrifices and go and be reconciled unto our brother THROUGH REPENTANCE before bringing any said gifts or sacrifices unto God. Why? Well, if we don't, then the brother who has justifiable aught against us may "deliver us to the judge" (Jesus is the Final Judge) and the judge may cast us into prison or into hell fire for not having REPENTED of our sins against our brother, thereby being reconciled unto him.

Anyhow, again, I don't see forgiveness being offered in scripture apart from repentance...at least not in the passages which I've just addressed. Of course, I'm not suggesting, not even for a nanosecond, that the offended party take matters into his own hands or let a root of bitterness grow within him, but I am suggesting that there are justifiable reasons or "causes" in scripture to break fellowship with individuals. Also, I would heartily recommend that prayer be made for the impenitent brother at all times.

Well, this will probably start off a firestorm of criticism my way (and I don't necessarily mean from you), but that's fine. After all, I've wanted to discuss this topic for quite some time myself, so now is as good a time as any, I suppose.

Btw, before somebody mentions how Jesus prayed, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" from the cross, I'd ask the same to document how any of those whom Jesus prayed for at this time were actually forgiven apart from genuine repentance. Again, the first place that Jesus taught His disciples to preach "repentance and the remission of sins" was in Jerusalem or in the place where He was sentenced to be crucified. Read the recorded sermons in the book of Acts and see what people like Peter and Paul preached. They basically told their hearers that they had crucified Christ (IOW, they were addressing some of the very same people whom Jesus asked the Father to forgive) and told them that they needed to REPENT. IOW, Jesus' prayer to the Father was not to be answered apart from genuine REPENTANCE on the parts of those whom He prayed for.

)))hug((( Thank you )))hug(((

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi, TamaraLynne.

I have a question:

Back to Matthew 18:

Interesting take. I agree that repentance is needed for God's forgiveness. But we are not God. When we forgive we free our self not the sin of the one we forgive.
Steven even asked God not to hold the sin against those who were killing him. Did that absolve them? I do not know but it did absolve Steven.
When we go to our brother in private first then before witnesses and finally before the Church, that's to restore the other. When we forgive without requiring a repentance, we are just keeping our own nose free of hatred and strife.
I'm not saying that us forgiving without the offender repenting is solely for our benefit. The one we forgave will also be caused to think as to why we would do such. It's a love thing.
It brings to mind a simple verse:"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." The thought of forgiveness seems to come before the repentance. Often causing the repentance. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Scott4Him

Jun 17, 2013
✟15,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgiveness is hard, but if we truly understand grace, we will forgive.

Jesus did mention a condition regarding forgiveness.

For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Matthew 6:14, 15 ESV)

It's a hard saying. But the conditional is not on whether the offender repents but rather on if we forgive or not.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private

For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Matthew 6:14, 15 ESV)

It's a hard saying. But the conditional is not on whether the offender repents but rather on if we forgive or not.
:thumbsup:

I don't think most Christians know that Messiah actually taught this, or perhaps they don't believe it, in my experience.

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Wisdom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting take. I agree that repentance is needed for God's forgiveness. But we are not God.

Yet, we're instructed to forgive others as God for Christ's sake has forgiven us:

"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." - Ephesians 4:32

What does "even as" mean? You said that you agree that repentance is needed for God's forgiveness, didn't you? Then why isn't it needed in our forgiving of others? Isn't this what Jesus taught, even as I've already begun to document?

When we forgive we free our self not the sin of the one we forgive.

Are you sure about that?

When God forgives us, is He freeing Himself or us? Why did Jesus speak of "binding" and "loosing"? Whose sins are being "bound" or "loosed"? Ours or the sins of those who have trespassed against us?

Steven even asked God not to hold the sin against those who were killing him. Did that absolve them? I do not know but it did absolve Steven.

Absolved Stephen from what? He hadn't done anything wrong. For crying out loud, his face was shining like that of an angel (Acts 6:15) as he told those who were about to stone him that they were stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears (Acts 7:51). In fact, Jesus gave him a standing ovation (Acts 7:56), didn't He? Why don't you know if Stephen's request to "lay not this sin to their charge" (Acts 7:60) absolved them or not? I mean, Saul was there at the stoning (Acts 7:58), wasn't he? Were his sins against Stephen "absolved" by Stephen's request or did Jesus meet him on the road to Damascus and tell him that it was hard for him to kick against the pricks? I mean, Saul had to repent and be baptized, didn't he? How then did Stephen's prayer "absolve" him? It didn't. Oh, Stephen's prayer was fine, mind you, but if Saul hadn't repented when confronted by Jesus, then Saul would have died in his sins...including his sins against Stephen.

When we go to our brother in private first then before witnesses and finally before the Church, that's to restore the other. When we forgive without requiring a repentance, we are just keeping our own nose free of hatred and strife.

I'm not saying that us forgiving without the offender repenting is solely for our benefit. The one we forgave will also be caused to think as to why we would do such. It's a love thing.

Really?

Is this what happened at the church at Corinth?

"It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from you. For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person." - I Corinthians 5:1-13

Did Paul instruct the church at Corinth to forgive apart from repentance as you just stated? No, he did not. In stark contrast to what you just suggested, Paul rebuked the church at Corinth for allowing this man to remain in their midst. Yes, he told them to throw this impenitent sinner out of the church in the name and power of Jesus Christ and to deliver him to Satan. Yes, he told them to purge themselves from this "old leaven" and to "put away from among yourselves that wicked person". So much for:

The one we forgave will also be caused to think as to why we would do such. It's a love thing.

Paul didn't tell the Corinthians to forgive this man until he repented:

"Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many. So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow. Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him. For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things. To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ; Lest Satan should get an advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices." - II Corinthians 2:6-11

Apparently, after this "wicked person" was thrown out of the church or after this punishment (God chastens those whom He loves and commands them to repent) was inflicted of many, this "wicked person" repented to the point that Paul was afraid that he might be "swallowed up with overmuch sorrow". Yes, after such genuine repentance was apparent, Paul instructed the Corinthians "to forgive him and comfort him" and to "confirm their love towards him". Well, that's a completely different scenario than the one which you suggested, isn't it? Yes, it most certainly is and I'll stick with the Word of God. Paul said that if he forgave anyone, then he forgave them "in the person of Jesus Christ". When, then, did Paul and Jesus Christ forgive this "wicked person"? They forgave him after he repented and not a second before. Paul continued on to write:

"For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter." - II Corinthians 7:8-11

Did you catch what Paul said? He said that the Corinthians had approved THEMSELVES to be clear in this matter? What matter? The matter involving the "wicked person" who was in fornication whom they initially hadn't thrown out of the church. IOW, Paul didn't write what he did just for the sake of this "wicked person" or his father whom he had sinned against by having sexual relations with his wife, but Paul also wrote what he did to deal with the Corinthians' sin in not properly handling the situation at first. Yes, Paul continued on to say:

"Wherefore, though I wrote unto you, I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong, nor for his cause that suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear unto you." - II Corinthians 7:12

And how, exactly, did Paul show such "care for them in the sight of God"? By rebuking them so that they might repent. It is godly sorrow which works repentance unto salvation and there's a drought of the same these days, both within the church and without it, I'm afraid.

It brings to mind a simple verse:"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." The thought of forgiveness seems to come before the repentance. Often causing the repentance. Just a thought.

I have no problem with the same. Of course, we can offer forgiveness prior to the individual repenting, but forgiveness only comes from God after said individual repents. As such, let's not put the proverbial cart before the horse.

Incidentally, TamaraLynne entitled this thread "forgiveness again". IOW, she's brought up this topic before and I'm well aware of her comments and questions there and we've also briefly addressed this topic privately in the past. As such, I'm not just seeking to address her questions in this thread, but other questions which she has asked in regards to this topic in the past, too. Anyhow, again, I'm not suggesting now, nor would I ever, that any offended party ever take matters into their own hands by seeking vengeance, nor am I suggesting that such offended parties harbor bitterness towards anybody. Jesus instructed us to pray for and to do good to even our enemies and I advocate the same. However, we should never tell anybody that their sins are "remitted" apart from repentance. That's my overriding point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To save space I didn't quote you BOG888.
Your confusing two separate things. Remitting and retaining is not about a sin committed against me personally. It's about a sin confessed. When Paul said "in the person of christ he was speaking about a sin absolved commited unto others not him personally.
So what does "even as" mean?" but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.' That is where our salvation began. Not at our repentance. Repentance is where our absolution comes from. Not personal forgiveness for personal trespasses.
Now when in the person of Christ this is different and yes the sin is absolved.
So what did steven have to be absolved of? I do not know. But from his statement it was not unforgivness toward those stoning him. He took care of thatif there was ever anything to take care of.
Now what does, "in the person of christ mean? You would not like my answer. And I'm sure you can look at my Orthodox badge and already know my answer.
There is our forgiveness and God's (in the person of Christ). The two are different. Christ did not say"those who trespass against others" when saying we must forgive. He said you.

Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What Christ said from the cross was living out His teaching. What Steven did just before death was to follow the teaching of Christ. There was no repentance shown in either case.

Like I said, this thread is entitled "Forgiveness again". In the past (and in this thread), the OP has inquired about "remitting" sins and there simply is no "remittance" apart from repentance. Again, I have no problem with people praying that God "forgive" or that God "lay not sins to the charge" of others, but my point is that such individuals (the trespassers) are not forgiven until the time comes that they actually repent...no matter how much we or anybody else prays for them. In this sense, we really don't have the ability to "forgive" anybody. Again, their forgiveness is ultimately found in their repentance from sin and their saving faith in Christ.

Christ did not say "those who trespass against others" when saying we must forgive. He said you.

As I've already shown, Christ said "if your brother repent, forgive him". Thus far, you've done nothing to refute the same, as if refuting Christ would be of any profit anyway. Again, I'm not advocating bitterness or a desire for vengeance against those who have trespassed against us, but I certainly am advocating confronting such individuals about said trespasses in an effort to help to bring about repentance. If no repentance is found after an individual effort, in front of two or three witness or in front of the church, then Jesus said to treat such impenitent persons as heathen and/or publicans. If you're suggesting that you're wiser than Jesus in this regard, then I totally disagree. Even on this very forum, people get all up in arms when confronted with error. Yes, immediately the charges come forth:

You're a self-righteous Pharisee...

You're a "fruit inspector"...

You're a minister of condemnation...

and all of the other nonsense. No, if we truly care about each other, then we ought to be looking out for each other and seeking to help others with the specks in their eyes after we've removed the beams from our own eyes. Correction is good, but not with many people around here and this is a great concern of mine. Just read the forum. How much strife and debate is there among professing brethren? When and where will such disputes be resolved and by Whom? They'll be resolved before the judgment seat of Christ and this ought to cause people to tremble. IOW, everyone should be examining their own hearts to see whether or not they're the cause of offense and repenting if they are. Instead, I see a lot of wrangling with no fear of God whatsoever in many folks. Again, this is a great cause of concern for me and I wouldn't offer any such people "forgiveness" apart from repentance because I don't see where Jesus did. Again, you insist that I have the ability to forgive, but I believe that we really only have such an ability "in the person of Christ". IOW, I believe that our "forgiveness" needs to meet Christ's standards and His standards require repentance. I've already given you examples of the same and you've done nothing to counter them as of yet.

Upvote 0