Spirited Apostate
Aug 8, 2009
Home sweet home
✟18,807.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I take it Canada's rather secular then? I have similar issues (although in reverse) in the United States, the very mention of not believing in God gets stares. Here's how I cope, I don't mention it. Most of the time it's out of peoples minds and they won't bring it up. If it does come up, take a strong stance. Assert confidently that that is what you believe, don't apologize for it. Adopt a "why should you care, let me believe what I believe, and you believe what you want" attitude towards the whole thing.
I'd also suggest finding a church youth group to join. I go to church (fancy that) just for the community, I'm sure there's got to be at least some churches where you live. Go join up, if not to go every Sunday, than just to get in contact with people who share your beliefs.
As for being forgiven, well you know I can't answer that, but judging by most christian sects, I'd say you are.

Reactions: Aino
Upvote 0

tpk

The Preacher's Kid
Jan 29, 2005
Virginia
Visit site
✟21,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
i have done alot of bad things in my life, i am not really a christian..or i dont think i am. i want god in my life, but even the mention of it to people around me makes them laugh like i am joking. I dont know what to do, any advice? can i be forgiven?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Everyone can be forgiven. Take Saul/Paul from the Bible for example. He spent the first half of his life killing and jailing Christians for the Roman govenment. Well, murder is a sin, right? But God met him on the way to Damascus and went so far as to forgive him and even change his name. He began to preach and live a life for God.

And that's what is needed... when you ask for forgiveness and accept God into your life, you need to change drastically. I'm not saying change your name, but it needs to be noticeable that you have changed.

Anyway, like Wedjat said, look for a good, Bible-based local church and/or youth group and get involved. :) I'll be praying for you. :prayer:

Reactions: Aino
Upvote 0
S

solarwave

i have done alot of bad things in my life, i am not really a christian..or i dont think i am. i want god in my life, but even the mention of it to people around me makes them laugh like i am joking. I dont know what to do, any advice? can i be forgiven?

I used to be shy about my belief in God (im from England which is must less Christian) but it seems that once its out in the open and you have a group of Christians for help if you need it, then people tend to respect the fact that you believe. I suggest you go to church and find someone you can talk to about it.

Can you be forgiven? Yes, everyone can be. There are much worse people in the world who have become Christians.

Upvote 0

SiXe

eggnog enthusiast
Aug 24, 2009
in the mountians :P
✟7,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
There are many, many people I have come across in the same position reversed. I don't see why you would like to leave a life of freedom for suppression, but, its your choice and your loss. Its just a hell of a lot harder for them than it is for you.

not if you look at my family :| but yes i can understand some people might be in a reverse postion then me. But once they find out whats on the other side like i have maybe they wouldn't be so keen to leave the lords good grace. when your sitting alone in the dark its nice to know that god is still shining his light. some people just refuse to see it.

Upvote 0

renee09

Jun 3, 2007
in my beloved country
✟8,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Forgiveness is for everyone. The Lord will take anyone into His arms as long as you have change. And I believe that everyone can. God's love is all-powerful. If people look at you and laugh, then show them how you have change through your actions and thoughts. It is possible. Believe. God Bless.

Upvote 0

pianomaster42

Christian Musician
Jun 29, 2009
Illinois
✟15,237.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
xchillx42 said:
There are many, many people I have come across in the same position reversed. I don't see why you would like to leave a life of freedom for suppression, but, its your choice and your loss. Its just a hell of a lot harder for them than it is for you.
I have come across the same thing as well, but I don't see what you mean by "leaving freedom for suppression." Christianity is not particularly oppressive or suppressive, to my knowledge. The Christians themselves, perhaps (no perhaps about it, I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of Christians either). But I don't see how believers acting a certain way makes the religion stand for that.
Please, feel free to elaborate on this.

Upvote 0

Wedjat

Spirited Apostate
Aug 8, 2009
Home sweet home
✟18,807.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

xchillx42, your post assumes a lot. You have no clue what he's going through or the degree to which it is happening. Please think out what you're saying before you post, you make the rest of us look bad. It may not have seemed offensive to you, but it could easily be to a lot of people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pianomaster42

Christian Musician
Jun 29, 2009
Illinois
✟15,237.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I totally didn't give my thoughts on the actual topic! What use is arguing a point on a forum if I don't say what I think first? Stupid me :p

Yes, SiXe, you can definitely be forgiven. As you've gathered by now, we Christians believe that God is merciful and just. He will forgive anyone that comes to Him that truly repents of what they have done.

Do you have any friends that believe? Talk to them, having friends who believe what you do is very important. So is having friends that don't believe what you do, but that becomes more important the stronger your faith is.

Upvote 0

stand.amazed

Sep 6, 2009
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1 John 1:9 - "But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness."

No matter what you've done, no matter where you go.. Thing is, God is PASSIONATE about you; He LOVES to be able to forgive you when you ask for it :)

My advice to you is try to find a church that really IS a church. Church is about community, being in relationship with each other, so try and find one that will actively help you grow =)

In the end, the most important thing is relationship with God, find a church that follows God and the Bible fully, and that you can feel comfortable in among their beliefs :)

God Bless You in your journey

Upvote 0