Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You can't stay where you are and go with God. You cannot continue doing things your way and accomplish God's purpose in His ways. Your thinking cannot come close to God's thoughts. For you to do the will of God, you must adjust your life to Him, His purposes, and His ways.

AVOIDING TEMPTATION
Our 10 year old loves playing on his father's tablet but may use only the touch screen because he has misused the keyboard and stylus. One day, after receiving permission to play, he detached and handed over the forbidden objects. His dad said, "Just leave them there," but our son replied, "No, I might be tempted to use them."
We routinely pray, "Lead us not into temptation," hoping god will almost magically keep use out of trouble even as we stray close to enticements: We buy high-calorie treats while intending to "eat healthy." We visit big box stores and spend money we don't have, We gather with gossipy friends, fully aware that such talk is sinful and harmful.
Perhaps we should be more proactive about removing temptations. Perhaps "Lead me not into temptation" means "God, help me keep myself away from that which tempts me toward poor choices."

Author unknown

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It seems that I started a thread a couple of weeks ago with this same title.
I just can't find it. So here is another one.

WORDS OF WISDOM

Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet the youngest you will ever be, so enjoy the day while it lasts.

Why is it that children cannot read the Bible in school, but it can be read in prison?

Satan does not care how many people read about prayer if only he can keep them from praying.

A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
GREAT thread.

Thank you for starting it. :)

"Real prayer is communion with God, so that there will be common thoughts between His mind and ours. What is needed is for Him to fill our hearts with His thoughts, and then His desires will become our desires flowing back to Him." ~A W Pink

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2014
✟9,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking and the door will be open to you." Matthew 7:7

If God shuts one door, he opens another. Irish Proverb

To fall in love with God is the greatest of all romances; To seek him, the greatest adventure; To find him, the greatest human achievement. Raphael Simon

We shall steer safely through every storm, so long as our heart is right, our intention fervent, our courage steadfast, and our trust fixed on God. St. Francis De Sales

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"Prayer is not so much an act as it is an attitude of dependency, dependency upon God. Prayer is a confession of creature weakness, yes, of helplessness. Prayer is the acknowledgment of our need and the spreading of it before God." ~A W Pink

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"The prevailing idea seems to be, that I come to God and ask Him for something that I want, and that I expect Him to give me that which I have asked. But this is a most dishonouring and degrading conception. The popular belief reduces God to a servant, our servant: doing our bidding, performing our pleasure, granting our desires. No, prayer is a coming to God, telling Him my need, committing my way unto the Lord, and leaving Him to deal with it as seemeth Him best." ~A W Pink

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Knowing the Bible is good yes but College will get you far also. I just ended my long college journey and it feels wonderful.
Good for you. May you now be very successful in the rest of your journey.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here are some words of wisdom for all those that study the Bible for the truth of Gods Word. This was written by Miles Coverdale back in the late 1500s, The author of the Coverdale Bible.

It shall greatly help ye to understand the Scripture if thou mark not only what is spoken or written, but to whom and of whom, with what words, at what time, where, to what intent, with what circumstances, considering what goeth before and what followeth after.
Miles Coverdale

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

imstillstanding

Mar 16, 2016
Illinois
✟9,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's important to question what you believe so that you can know whether or not you really believe it. In fact, faith is often born out of questions. Daniel Colston, Jesus Without Lines: Erasing the Lies and Embracing the Savior.

Faith means being sure of what we hope for now. It means knowing something is real, this moment, all around you, even when you don't see it. Joni Eareckson Tada

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"Faith endures as seeing Him who is invisible; endures the disappointments, the hardships, and the heart-aches of life, by recognizing that all comes from the hand of Him who is too wise to err and too loving to be unkind." ~- A. W. Pink

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As Francis Chan recounted in his The Forgotten God work, one can make some outing, as to a secluded beach, to get away from anything distracting to hear from God's Spirit what there is for us to know. But there are basic things for us as believers that anything else should not take priority over. That would include such things as what James 1:27 shows,
Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
FOR THE MOMS

A child's perspective
A group of second graders were quizzed about what ingredients their mothers are made of. One child said, "God makes mothers out of clouds and angle hair and every thing nice in the world, and a dab of mean."
To the question "What does your mom do in her spare time?" one youngster said "Mothers don't have spare time."
When the children were asked "Why did God give you to your mom and not to some other mom?" one child replied, "God knew she likes me a lot more than other peoples moms like me."

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You can't stay where you are and go with God. You cannot continue doing things your way and accomplish God's purpose in His ways. Your thinking cannot come close to God's thoughts. For you to do the will of God, you must adjust your life to Him, His purposes, and His ways.

AVOIDING TEMPTATION
Our 10 year old loves playing on his father's tablet but may use only the touch screen because he has misused the keyboard and stylus. One day, after receiving permission to play, he detached and handed over the forbidden objects. His dad said, "Just leave them there," but our son replied, "No, I might be tempted to use them."
We routinely pray, "Lead us not into temptation," hoping god will almost magically keep use out of trouble even as we stray close to enticements: We buy high-calorie treats while intending to "eat healthy." We visit big box stores and spend money we don't have, We gather with gossipy friends, fully aware that such talk is sinful and harmful.
Perhaps we should be more proactive about removing temptations. Perhaps "Lead me not into temptation" means "God, help me keep myself away from that which tempts me toward poor choices."

Author unknown
Easy when its things you can "detach". What about food? Everyone needs to eat. A friend has a problem with food, and recently had gastric bypass. She's the one who brought up that point. She still has to eat, but she is addicted to food. How do you control an addiction of something you need? What about those who boast from low self esteem? Or those who don't have the the comprehension skills to think beyond their situation, so they steal what they need?

Upvote 0