Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Wolseley
Actually, you can't try it, any more----the Government stopped making C-rations. The guys nowadays get those nasty MRE's. I've had a few of those, too, and they're wretched.

Wols, did you ever try the freeze-dried fruit cocktail in an MRE? It is SO gooood! Just open and eat, as is. Taste like fruit candy. They may not make it anymore, it was back in the early '90's when I had some.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wols, did you ever try the freeze-dried fruit cocktail in an MRE? It is SO gooood! Just open and eat, as is. Taste like fruit candy. They may not make it anymore, it was back in the early '90's when I had some.
No, but I did have quite a collection of the freeze-dried strawberries they used to put in them (I left the service in the mid-80's, myself.....) Those tasted pretty good on cereal, once they re-hydrated with milk. :)

But MRE's were just never as good as the old C-rats. I remember a supervisor of mine when I was overseas----used to steal stuff from the Army and swap it for cases of C-rats. :D (But you didn't hear that from me.)

Upvote 0
Hey Wolseley,

Got a recipe for you!
Why for you?
When you hear how I describe how to make it, it might make you reminisce even more about your Air Force days.

But, this is really tasty:

Rustle up a box of corn starch. Put 1/4 cup of it in a large measuring cup.
Stir into it a little "COLD" milk. Stir it realllll good, til all of the cornstarch is dissolved. Fill the cup up to the 2 cup mark with more milk.

Add some sugar and vanilla extract to your taste. (Now or later when everything's done)

Toss the milk mix in a saucepan.

Boil some rice ( water only - skip the butter or oil when you make it)
Grab a handful (just a handful) of the cooked rice and toss it into the milk and cornstarch in the saucepan.

Stir it real good. Keep stirring as you heat it over medium heat until it begins to bubble.

Let it cool.

Then, enjoy!!

I just made this up today. It's tasty!

Patty

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No, but I did have quite a collection of the freeze-dried strawberries they used to put in them (I left the service in the mid-80's, myself.....) Those tasted pretty good on cereal, once they re-hydrated with milk. :)

Freeze-dried strawberries---YUM! My son was in the Marines in the early '90's, we always had plenty of MRE's.

I remember a supervisor of mine when I was overseas----used to steal stuff from the Army and swap it for cases of C-rats. :D (But you didn't hear that from me.)

Hey, your story is safe with me, and the 4,063 members of this board---we won't tell a soul!:D:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by Auntie_Belle_Um
Hey Patty, great recipes! I've never heard of making rice pudding that way, but I'm gonna give it a try! Sounds goood.

Hey Auntie,

It is good.  Just plain ole cornstarch pudding with cooked rice.  You can add almost anything to it.

I just had to dress up the directions Air Force style for Wolseley. :p

Just don't try making it in a used fruit cocktail can, like Wolseley makes his coffee.  If you do, I can't guarantee the results. :sick:

Patty

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Patty

Hey Auntie,

Just don't try making it in a used fruit cocktail can, like Wolseley makes his coffee.  If you do, I can't guarantee the results. :sick:

Patty

A used fruit cocktail can might work, if you were out in the woods camping and cooking over an open fire! It would need to be a large can tho!:D

Upvote 0

Martin

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2002
Rochdale
Visit site
✟11,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not wishing to advertise or anything..... but I came across a great Christian site, based in the USA, that sells coffee.

It's called Holy Grind, and I'm glad to have been their first international customer...... I like their "Holy" and "Grace" beans.

There's nothing so great as getting up, grinding a few beans and settling down with the Lord and a cup of coffee for half an hour or so.....try it sometime! :holy:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Patty: If I were to go back to coffee your suggestions sound yummy.

But my hubby makes such dreadful coffee that I do not think anything would help it. It is sooo strong and bitter!

I switched to cappuccino!

I love the french vanilla flavor! :yum:

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey, your story is safe with me, and the 4,063 members of this board---we won't tell a soul!
LOL!!!
Just don't try making it in a used fruit cocktail can, like Wolseley makes his coffee. If you do, I can't guarantee the results.
I have to admit, I haven't made coffee like that for many, many moons. :)

I could probably reproduce the conditions, but since I don't have to anymore, I'll stick to Mr. Coffee and Maxwell House. :D

Upvote 0

mld3three

Searching
Jun 23, 2002
Visit site
✟8,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Actually, you can't try it, any more----the Government stopped making C-rations. The guys nowadays get those nasty MRE's. I've had a few of those, too, and they're wretched.

I do believe I am one of the few that actually like MRE's. Although my sister begs me for mine.

Upvote 0