• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

For churches with contemporary style services is there a greater need for keyboardists or guitarists

Discussion in 'Worship Ministry' started by justme6272, Nov 29, 2018.

1. justme6272

justme6272 Newbie

+55
    Christian
    Private
    Chime in now. Thanks in advance.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+2,505
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    /nvm

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+2,505
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    /nvm

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  4. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+2,182
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The need is for worship leaders and musicansto recognise the need is to have a balanced music group that can lead worship.

And for those in the group to realise they are serving the whole church and not just a musical elite.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. aog17

aog17 New Member

+24
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    There’s more demand for guitarists because it requires more dedication and knowledge of the genre. You want a guitarist who actually follows contemporary worship music. You can put a professional pianist in a Hillsong band without any experience in contemporary worship music.

6. dysert

dysert Member

+2,195
    Christian
    Married
    I am no longer in the worship music scene, but at our church there has never seemed to be a shortage of keyboardists or guitarists. Maybe we're just lucky?

7. justme6272

justme6272 Newbie

+55
    Christian
    Private
    How would you rank the demand, from greatest to least, when it comes to acoustic vs electric vs bass guitar?

8. dysert

dysert Member

+2,195
    Christian
    Married
    I have no idea.

9. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+1,635
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    Acoustic strikes me as being most difficult, and it's the one most often used to lead. It seems to be the most important.

Electric guitar can be used to lead the band, also, but I tend to think of it more as as an embellishment, when mastered. Riffing and finger-picking can add a lot to the over-all quality of the music, but the role is not what I would call essential to a worship band, even though that's what I play. Usually, it's just icing on the cake. However, the electric guitar is the most versatile, because it can be used instead of either the acoustic or the bass guitar, as long as the correct pedals and settings are used. In the absence of a bass guitarist, I flip a switch and stomp a pedal, and I'm ready to thunk out the bass part.

Bass guitar is somewhere in the middle, in terms of importance. It gives depth and rhythm to the sound. It also happens to be the very easiest guitar part to learn. It's the one role you can hand to a non-musician and have a glimmer of hope that they might be proficient in only a few days.

As for keyboardists, I would say that it's the most versatile instrument of all, being capable of imitating almost anything. As the old church organists have been displaced by contemporary bands, I'm finding that this position has been filled by those former organists. Right now, there's no shortage, but I don't expect this happy situation to last. Keyboard is theoretically less technical to learn than guitar, by virtue of the engineering behind it: keys are designed to be the easiest interface for the human hand. Guitar strings are what they are, and the hand must adapt.

• List
  10. justme6272

justme6272 Newbie

+55
    Christian
    Private
    You must not consider someone to be a musician unless they can sight-read a part immediately.

11. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+1,635
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    I wouldn't say that, not as a general rule, but for the bass guitar part, I find that as an electric guitarist I can sight-read bass parts immediately for most songs. Classical songs, like the old Christmas hymns are another matter, but the contemporary stuff is usually around three or four chords, only, and for the bass guitar part that can mean three or four notes, only, if one sticks to the root notes for simplicity. I use power chords to get at the tonic and dominant notes if I need syncopation, and that's enough to get by in a pinch. Walking between notes/chords is a little more advanced and requires some understanding of scales, but it isn't wholly necessary.

• List
  12. rapturefish

rapturefish Kingdom Citizen, Spiritual Nomad

+45
    Australia
    Presbyterian
    Single
    There is a greater need for true worshippers. I don't care if a person is very skilled in any form of guitar or bass or keyboard, if they aren't there out of the heart of God in them, they shouldn't be there leading. However, I would encourage taking them aside, cultivating their hearts until they are because it is good to see each person as a person of God in the making.

As for importance of the instruments, you need someone to be the foundation. It's flexible. I believe you can have that person be the guitarist, electric guitarist, electric bassist, keyboardist, even drums and percussion. They just have to be reliable, know the song well, and lead. If everyone else can follow them, it'll work.

They don't have to sight read, they have to know the song, be it by ear or by sight reading. There are jazz musicians who cannot sight read for their lives and they are definitely musicians because they know music.

Every worship team is different, and they have to go with their strengths. If the best musician to lead is a bassist they have to adapt somehow. Guitars and keyboards are easier because they have range of highs and lows and versatility, as well as allow the leader who plays them to sing. Basses are limited to lower notes overall, but they can also play some mid-notes too. Find a way to make it work, have a clear leader, give clear instructions, everyone be on the same page, and above all, be ready in heart to worship.