United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Devin,

I have been reading all your posts and questions with a lot of interest and sympathy. The root of your questions seem to be "How can I participate in Orthodoxy while respecting my parents who I love very much?"

Firstly, I think it is admirable that you respect your parents. They raised you well! As long as you are a minor and live in their house, you'll have to continue showing this respect, which I believe is your heart's desire.

Secondly, there are many, many things in your parents' church that are true. While at church, concentrate on these things.

Thirdly, if you can't get to an Orthodox bookstore, you can still read the greatest Orthodox book of all times, the New Testament. Find a simple version without study notes and read the Gospels over and over.

Fourthly, everyone's advice about not starting up a prayer rule without a blessing from a priest is true. If you can be in email contact with a priest, that might suffice. If you need a prayerbook but can't get to a bookstore, you can find the morning and evening prayers online. And if you need icons, you can find old ones on the internet and print them out.

Hope that helps,
Love,
Xenia

Reactions: OrthodoxyUSA

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟24,947.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks so much Xenia :)
Thanks to you all for all the tremenodous hep you've been giving me...

I received a PM the other day, a forumer was telling me I shouldn't change churches because it would discourage others in my current church... What should I say? I've told him that it shouldn't matter. If it causes them to doubt their own beliefs and look into Orthodoxy then by all means, I should join Orthodoxy. He just isn't understanding...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
88Devin07 said:
Thanks so much Xenia :)
Thanks to you all for all the tremenodous hep you've been giving me...

I received a PM the other day, a forumer was telling me I shouldn't change churches because it would discourage others in my current church... What should I say? I've told him that it shouldn't matter. If it causes them to doubt their own beliefs and look into Orthodoxy then by all means, I should join Orthodoxy. He just isn't understanding...

I think it will encourage them.

Moving closer to Christ can't be a bad thing now can it? Stay the course, think about your own salvation... others will follow in thier own time... do not worry about such things.

Forgive me....

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
88Devin07 said:
I know, i am not worrying about it, I just wanted to know what I should say in reply...
He just isn't getting what i'm saying... he said that I should go orthodox because I could cause others to stumble and fall...

They are already stumbeling, but that has nothing to do with you...

Forgive me, my friend, but you are not strong enough to be fielding questions from others.:sorry: (not meant to put you down in any way... attempting to explain yourself or help others is natural.)

See to your own salvation first... before attempting to help others.

This is kind of like when the airbags drop out of the ceiling on a jet airliner... you should put on your mask first.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.