Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

[SIZE=+1]Food Stamps - The Black Hole You Enter and Never Exit[/SIZE]
Townhall.com ^| October 8, 2012 | Bruce Bialosky

Have you heard the rumor that the number of food stamp recipients has increased during President Obama’s term from 28.2 million to 46.6 million? Have you heard that in only three years, the annual cost of the program, which was already astronomical at $35 billion, has soared to $76 billion? It certainly has been the talk of the town (if not the campaign), but does anyone really know how we got to this state of affairs? That is what I set out to discover.

[snip]

Last edited:

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Foodstamps%20persons%20July_1.jpg

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My son supports a family on a single income. One of his two-week paychecks goes to rent alone, and he ends up not having anything leftover for groceries. My wife and I try to help out. He applied for Food Stamps and now receives $20. I don't know if that is weekly,bi-weekly, or monthly.

I'm all for efficiency in government, but I want families on the brink to be able to buy food, especially when it involves my 4-year old granddaughter.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
$400 purse: Purchased when and by whom?
$200 wallet : Purchased when and by whom?
$800 cash: What percentage of her total money is that?

You seem to be assuming that since she has nice things and $800 cash that she shouldn't qualify for food stamps. But you don't know if she purchased the wallet and purse before she was on food stamps. Or perhaps they were a gift. Also, just because she has $800 on hand doesn't make her rich as you have no idea what percentage of her total money that is. Many landlords of low income earners demand cash; we don't know why she had that much on hand. Your judgement is based upon assumption after assumption and very few facts.

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My son supports a family on a single income. One of his two-week paychecks goes to rent alone, and he ends up not having anything leftover for groceries. My wife and I try to help out. He applied for Food Stamps and now receives $20. I don't know if that is weekly,bi-weekly, or monthly.

I'm all for efficiency in government, but I want families on the brink to be able to buy food, especially when it involves my 4-year old granddaughter.

All God's children want that for all Americans. An improving job market will help accomplish what we pray for but Obama is NOT the answer to that prayer!

You needn't take my word for it....we have his record.

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You seem to be assuming that since she has nice things and $800 cash that she shouldn't qualify for food stamps. But you don't know if she purchased the wallet and purse before she was on food stamps. Or perhaps they were a gift. Also, just because she has $800 on hand doesn't make her rich as you have no idea what percentage of her total money that is. Many landlords of low income earners demand cash; we don't know why she had that much on hand. Your judgement is based upon assumption after assumption and very few facts.

LOL. I assumed nothing that I shared with you Kermit....I posted the article. Your assumptions were your own.

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
All God's children want that for all Americans. An improving job market will help accomplish what we pray for but Obama is NOT the answer to that prayer!

Thanks, but I won't be voting for Romney/Ryan. Catholic Bishops have said the Ryan budget cuts too many services to the poor and does not pass the basic moral decency test.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

One of the saddest charts I've seen. How can Obama claim that he has turned things around, we are headed in the right direction, when you look at this data?

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yep. I sublease and pay 925 in cash to my roommates for rent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Cutting assistance programs doesn't equal an increase in economic recovery

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, but I won't be voting for Romney/Ryan. Catholic Bishops have said the Ryan budget cuts too many services to the poor and does not pass the basic moral decency test.

Moral decency test from Catholic bishops?

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

So....Obama's stand on Abortion, Contraception, Gay Marriage, Prayers in Public School....don't enter your "moral decency" qualms?

The moral basis of abortion far outweighs any budget cuts!

Of those I am aware of, the Archbishop of Chicago, New York and Mobile have come out strongly against the Democratic platform of abortion and strongly support Romney/Ryan.

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Cutting assistance programs doesn't equal an increase in economic recovery

Exactly. If your economy contracts, you need people to spend to get it going again. Our economy isn't contracting, but it seems like it could given a number of circumstances. Taking that money out of the hands of the poor means taking a LOT of money out of the economy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Steve-Bakr...please show me a quote where a Bishop said to support Obama.

In response to the direction in which our nation is going, the culture of death (abortion) the Democrats support,.....the Archbishop of Chicago said:

tumblr_lyybvto0yl1r1f1vwo1_250.jpg

“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr’s death in the public square.”
- Cardinal Francis George, Archbishop of Chicago

tumblr_lz3p07IOjE1r1f1vwo1_400.jpg

Americans, when presented with all the facts, support what is fair. Which is precisely why the Obama administration’s decision to force Catholic and other religious employers to violate their conscience will not stand. Americans will recognize it for the unconstitutional detour that it is, and urge their elected representatives to repeal it.”-Cardinal-designate Tim Dolan, Archbishop of New York

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL. I assumed nothing that I shared with you Kermit....I posted the article. Your assumptions were your own.
So you would have us believe that you posted that article for no purpose? If you are going to make a point, make it, don't be coy then hide behind that when you get called out.

Upvote 0