Liberty, Missouri
✟10,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings to all, Just when I thought I was the only one in the world who wasn't comfortable with "vile affections" in the King James Version of Roman 1:26, I was joined by Victor Alexander (native speaker of Aramaic and translator of the Aramaic Peshitta New Testament.) Aramaic Bible Translation Project by Victor Alexander
The Peshitta Text has Kaba d'Tsera which ultra-literally means "diseases of disgrace." Vic chose the modern English vernacular "venereal diseases." 'Kaba' in Aramaic is the general all-purpose word for any type of sickness, illness, malady, etc.
There is an Assyrian Aramaic to modern Hebrew translation that is perfectly comfortable with the "diseases of disgrace" motif. I wish I could remember the literary work in question but a fellow forum friend on www.peshitta.org made this known to me. Evidently this is a very smooth transition coming from ancient Aramaic to modern Hebrew.

Shlama w'Burkate, (Peace and Blessings), LawrenceRaymond

Last edited:

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I looked up the words in my Strong's Concordance Greek dictionary, and it seems the words can involve disgrace and lust. And it says God gave them up to these. And the context seems to mean that they were given up to their vile affections, because the went against God. And it appears we need God in order to not give in to shameful and disgraceful passions.

Lust is dominating and controlling passion > dictatorial; so it is not of love, not of godly affection which is gentle and humble and kind and warm :)

So, by getting away from God they lost the ability to love, including in sensitive sharing with a lady. And they used each other for pleasure, instead. Love does not have us only using anybody.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's used three times in the NT, including this passage:

Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them. (Col. 3:5-7)
The literal meaning is pretty straight forward:

Vial (G819 ἀτιμία atimia) "shame, disgrace," Rom 1:26, "vile (passions)," RV, lit., "(passions) of shame;" 1Cr 11:14;

Affections (G3806 πάθος pathos), "to suffer," primarily denotes whatever one suffers or experiences in any way; hence, "an affection of the mind, a passionate desire." Used by the Greeks of either good or bad desires, it is always used in the NT of the latter, Rom 1:26 (AV, "affections," RV, "passions"); Col 3:5 (AV, "inordinate affection," RV, "passion"); 1Th 4:5 (AV, "lust," RV, "passion").

(Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)
Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Affections (G3806 πάθος pathos), "to suffer," primarily denotes whatever one suffers or experiences in any way;
Well, in lust one is suffering by not being content in God's love. But the person in lust is being driven to seek some pleasure, in order to feel something nicer than one's own discontent of some sort . . . including boredom and loneliness.

But in God's love we are satisfied and guided to do what He pleases. His love is gentle and kind, not with overbearing emotion and dissatisfaction, and enough is enough.

"be content with such things as you have" (in Hebrews 13:5)

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, in lust one is suffering by not being content in God's love. But the person in lust is being driven to seek some pleasure, in order to feel something nicer than one's own discontent of some sort . . . including boredom and loneliness.But in God's love we are satisfied and guided to do what He pleases. His love is gentle and kind, not with overbearing emotion and dissatisfaction, and enough is enough."be content with such things as you have" (in Hebrews 13:5)

As always regarding sex, it is intended for one other person
and is an intimate sharing of self with one other person.
All "Sex Crimes" in scripture circulate around the idea
of having sex with only one other person. Medical research
as well as psychological research supports this.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, in lust one is suffering by not being content in God's love. But the person in lust is being driven to seek some pleasure, in order to feel something nicer than one's own discontent of some sort . . . including boredom and loneliness.

But in God's love we are satisfied and guided to do what He pleases. His love is gentle and kind, not with overbearing emotion and dissatisfaction, and enough is enough.

"be content with such things as you have" (in Hebrews 13:5)
On Colossians 3 Paul contrasts it with this:

Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. (Col. 3:12-14)
Grace and peace,
Mark

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0