Lutheran Chick
Aug 4, 2010
New Jersey
✟16,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And so it starts ... The honeymoon is over.

:D

No it's not.

^_^

Actually, our food conversations have become epic. :p

no - it's only just beginning.... :D and our food conversations have become more than epic - the hilarity that ensues over discussing how completely polar opposite we are when it comes to food is absolutely gut-busting, ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Upvote 0

lutherangerman

Jan 30, 2009
Eppendorf, Germany
✟17,788.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Right now I am living with my mom and so she is making most of the food I eat. And I can't complain, it's always good stuff. But when I am on my own, as I will be again in a few months when I get back at living alone, I usually eat pasta things or things that fit to potatoes.

I am not really a gourmet, but I have favourites. Two years ago I got this recipe from the internet for a homemade carbonara sauce to serve with spaghetti, and I could eat tons of that stuff. Also, my mom has this recipe for chicken noodle soup with potatoes which we serve together with a load of baked chicken wings, that's pretty awesome too.

There are also some traditional german dishes I enjoy, for example Bratwurst with Sauerkraut, Schnitzel (a breaded steak, basically), fresh fish with mashed potatoes (my brother-in-law is amateur fisherman), fried liver with lot's of onions and mashed potatoes, baked feta cheese with garlic and tomatoes and onions, florinis (basically baked paprika stuffed with feta cheese), Rouladen (rolled and stuffed beef slices with dumplings and red cabbage), and more.

I'm not much for soups though (except for noodle soups and tomatoe soups). And I don't like certain spices such as cumin (or caraway, as it's also called), marjoram and parsley.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

lux et lex

light and law
Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I love German food. In my last year of high school I was in Honors German and we spent about a quarter cooking German food. All very good. (However somewhat difficult because that class was pure immersion, no English unless we really got stuck on something).

Upvote 0

Bryne

Simul Justus et Peccator
Mar 30, 2011
Utah
✟16,817.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
No, sorry.
I hear Krispy Kreme is adding them to their menu,
I guess I'll be required to try one then!
You do know that Krispy Kreme's are the breakfast
of champion pastors don't you? :cool:

They are pretty good donuts.

I guess I would try one of the donut burgers...just because it is so weird looking, and I would have to say that I tried one.

We don't have a Krispy Kreme shop nearby, though.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We will be having a street fair here in the borough tomorrow. Nothing better than an Italian sausage with grilled peppers and onions and a fresh squeezed lemonade, even if they are somewhat overpriced.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klachen

Reverend K. Lachen
Jun 15, 2011
California, USA
Visit site
✟7,639.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I love hotdogs! When I travel I like to go to the mom-and-pop hotdog stands or dives (I ask the locals where their favorite is) and I try a hotdog in pretty much every city I visit. My favorite so far is the "Chicago dog" at Portillo's in downtown Chicago.

Upvote 0

latebloomer

An Autumn Lutheran Rose
May 4, 2007
Iowa
✟9,125.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
When we have spaghetti, the next night is almost always homemade pizza night. We use the leftover spaghetti sauce for pizza sauce, and my hubby gets out the bread maker to make the crust.

Taco casserole: recipe on the Ortega taco shells box
Tatertot casserole: Brown a pound of hamburger with chopped onion. When it's done, put it in a casserole dish. Add a layer of vegetables like a package of frozen peas or green beans. Layer over that a can of cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup. Cover the top with a layer of frozen tater tots. Bake 350 for an hour and you're back to the 1970s.

Every once in a while my husband makes homemade eggrolls. Ground pork (not sausage) and/or ground turkey crumbled and browned. Carrots, onion, green/red bell pepper, scallions, bok choy, celery, all diced/slivered. Put everything into a large pan--your biggest soup pot--nothing under 5 quart size. Add a big can of chicken stock, some ginger and garlic, few drops of sesame oil, soy and/or teriyaki sauce to taste. Wrap in eggroll wrappers and deep fry until golden brown. Serve with rice. If you have leftover filling, drain the liquid and use that as part of the water to cook the rice. Serve any leftover filling on rice. If desired, freeze leftover eggrolls. Or skip the rolling/frying and serve the filling on rice. Labor intensive due to all the veggie chopping, but yummy. Hubby improvises, so I probably left something out. Recipe makes several dozen eggrolls about the size of a large Snickers bar.

My mom keeps a container in her freezer. She puts leftover vegetables in it. When it gets full, she makes soup.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I just ate my favorite "on a budget" meal. Rice, cream of mushroom soup, and plenty of cayenne pepper. Dirty cheap, fills you up, and tastes great.
You would probably get along just fine on a short term trip to West Africa, then. Pretty much every meal is rice and sauce. Peanut sauce is the most common, or cassava leaf sauce.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alexnbethmom

Lutheran Chick
Aug 4, 2010
New Jersey
✟16,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
lux - i bet you would love my family's version of stroganoff - it's also very cheap (maybe not quite as cheap as what you're talking, but still REALLY cheap), and VERY filling, and if you make enough of it, you can eat off it for DAYS.....it's major comfort food in my family....

depending on how much you want to make -

brown ground beef and drain

make minute rice, and add beef to it

put in cream of mushroom soup, extra mushrooms (if you want, i sautee them), and sour cream, and heat all the way through

eat.

yum!!

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I love hotdogs! When I travel I like to go to the mom-and-pop hotdog stands or dives (I ask the locals where their favorite is) and I try a hotdog in pretty much every city I visit. My favorite so far is the "Chicago dog" at Portillo's in downtown Chicago.

Portillo's is great--I stop there whenever I get to Chicago! There used to be another great place in Chicago called Demon Dogs, but I remember reading that it had closed.

Have you ever tried the dogs at Papaya King in New York City? Nathan's is probably better known, but the dogs are better at Papaya King.

Our local favorite are hotchee dogs at the Hamilton in Carlisle, PA. Dog, white American cheese, chili sauce, mustard and raw onions. Yum!

Upvote 0