Miami
✟18,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This post could go just as well under "OCD" as under "Struggles by Non-Christians."

When I first started hanging around Christians, several decades ago, one of them one time pointed out that I had a short attention span. While I think my ability to concentrate in general has improved since then, my spiritual attention span remains as short as ever.

I have just read a book called "Strivings Within - The OCD Christian," by Mitzi VanCleve. In it she says we should focus on Christ, his grace, his power, his sufficiency. While trying to follow that exhortation, today, for instance, I would start to try to focus on him, etc. But after like a second (or maybe less), my focus would be off Him again, and I would be thinking about something else, and/or just focusing on me. In fact, that's a picture of all my attempts to become/stay a Christian. One of the reasons I doubt my salvation sometimes is because I, a moment after trying to turn to Christ and surrender to Him, am right back to the way I was the second before I made the attempt to surrender. I'm right back to looking at myself, and/or thinking about something else.

One of the reasons I can doubt my salvation is because I may, maybe at a subconscious level, and/or at a conscious level, sometimes (at least) think, "If I could follow Christ for just a few minutes, then I would be saved. After that, I could relax and not worry about how good a job I am doing at following Him, because, after all, I would be saved." Then, I can shorten this to, if I can just follow Jesus for a few seconds, I would be saved, then I can relax. Then this can literally be shortened to, just a second or even a fraction of a second. I'm afraid that even if I'm not thinking this consciously, I'm thinking it subconsciously. Then, I figure, no one with a cynical attitude like that is going to be saved. I'm worried it amounts to mocking God. In II Timothy 3, I think, it lists the characteristics of people in the last days, and the list includes, "lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God," "lovers of their own selves," "having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof," and "mockers of God."

Another factor in my problem is my OCD. Christians with OCD can repeatedly doubt their salvation, and repeatedly try to get saved. That has been the way I am for over ten years. Yesterday, when at one point I (thought I) gave my life to Christ, I told myself, 'it's time to stop doubting your salvation. The doubt comes from your OCD." I've told myself this before. But this morning, when repeatedly working on obeying Mitzi's exhortation, and repeatedly going off focus on Jesus after a second or something, I again have reason to question my salvation. She says focus on Jesus, his grace, his power, his sufficiency. I even ask Him, "help me to focus," And I start to focus. But the focusing only lasts for, as I said, a second, plus or minus.

OCDers, and people in general, can have the problem of focusing on themselves instead of focusing on Christ. OCDers discover a problem with themselves, and ruminate about it excessively, as Mitzi points out in her book. So, i can realize I focus on me instead of Jesus, realize this is a fault of mine, and ruminate about it. After several attempts at focusing on Jesus, and finding those sincere attempts only last for, say, a second at a time, I have the tendency to give up. And maybe go and post something on this forum.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But after like a second (or maybe less), my focus would be off Him again, and I would be thinking about something else, and/or just focusing on me

That is perfectly normal. Few people can concentrat exclusively on one subject for any length of time.

You were able to concentrate on typing this post, the level of concentration used for that is the same level you need for driving a car, cooking dinner, or worshipping God.

Doubts about your salvation. A question for you.

In daily life who do you aim to please by how you live. Is it the evil or is it Jesus?
I am asking about your motivation, not the result.

If you aim is to please Jesus you are a Christian, so rather than doubt your salvation thank God for it when doubts arise.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Tionbai

Sep 12, 2019
Oslo
✟14,667.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear Robert!

I am so sorry for what you are going through with your OCD. I also suffer from some OCD and have been for many years without addressing it as such all the while.

Do not be discouraged! Remember that the OCD is in your brain, not your heart! God sees your heart and will judge you accordingly. Only God is omnipotent and able to remain completely focused and unwavering eternally. We as humans are not omnipotent; we are flawed and broken, all of us with different struggles and shortcomings. Maybe OCD is one of your issues, and God sees that. And He also sees how much you want to focus on Him and keep your eyes on Him.

My advice to you is not to get too caught up on your OCD. Jesus Christ is greater than any disease. Pray for his mercy, and either you will be delivered from your OCD, or Jesus Christ will be all the more glorified through all of our weaknesses.

Remember Paul prayed for God to take away his weakness, but our Lord answered that His grace is sufficient, and His power is made perfect in weakness:

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
(2 Corinthians 12:7-10 KJV)

Reactions: Billy93
Upvote 0

Annner

Dec 28, 2012
✟24,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This post could go just as well under "OCD" as under "Struggles by Non-Christians."

When I first started hanging around Christians, several decades ago, one of them one time pointed out that I had a short attention span. While I think my ability to concentrate in general has improved since then, my spiritual attention span remains as short as ever.

I have just read a book called "Strivings Within - The OCD Christian," by Mitzi VanCleve. In it she says we should focus on Christ, his grace, his power, his sufficiency. While trying to follow that exhortation, today, for instance, I would start to try to focus on him, etc. But after like a second (or maybe less), my focus would be off Him again, and I would be thinking about something else, and/or just focusing on me. In fact, that's a picture of all my attempts to become/stay a Christian. One of the reasons I doubt my salvation sometimes is because I, a moment after trying to turn to Christ and surrender to Him, am right back to the way I was the second before I made the attempt to surrender. I'm right back to looking at myself, and/or thinking about something else.

One of the reasons I can doubt my salvation is because I may, maybe at a subconscious level, and/or at a conscious level, sometimes (at least) think, "If I could follow Christ for just a few minutes, then I would be saved. After that, I could relax and not worry about how good a job I am doing at following Him, because, after all, I would be saved." Then, I can shorten this to, if I can just follow Jesus for a few seconds, I would be saved, then I can relax. Then this can literally be shortened to, just a second or even a fraction of a second. I'm afraid that even if I'm not thinking this consciously, I'm thinking it subconsciously. Then, I figure, no one with a cynical attitude like that is going to be saved. I'm worried it amounts to mocking God. In II Timothy 3, I think, it lists the characteristics of people in the last days, and the list includes, "lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God," "lovers of their own selves," "having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof," and "mockers of God."

Another factor in my problem is my OCD. Christians with OCD can repeatedly doubt their salvation, and repeatedly try to get saved. That has been the way I am for over ten years. Yesterday, when at one point I (thought I) gave my life to Christ, I told myself, 'it's time to stop doubting your salvation. The doubt comes from your OCD." I've told myself this before. But this morning, when repeatedly working on obeying Mitzi's exhortation, and repeatedly going off focus on Jesus after a second or something, I again have reason to question my salvation. She says focus on Jesus, his grace, his power, his sufficiency. I even ask Him, "help me to focus," And I start to focus. But the focusing only lasts for, as I said, a second, plus or minus.

OCDers, and people in general, can have the problem of focusing on themselves instead of focusing on Christ. OCDers discover a problem with themselves, and ruminate about it excessively, as Mitzi points out in her book. So, i can realize I focus on me instead of Jesus, realize this is a fault of mine, and ruminate about it. After several attempts at focusing on Jesus, and finding those sincere attempts only last for, say, a second at a time, I have the tendency to give up. And maybe go and post something on this forum.

Robert,

it’s okay. Your attention span and ability to have a laser-like focus isn’t what saves you. I think people with OCD inspect their actions obsessively, then when they spot a shortfall, they fear they are displeasing to God. It’s a vicious cycle. The moment something they have a thought or done something that comes to mind, they are convinced they’ve blown it. It’s obsession, but I think it’s an ultimate battle with fear. Fear of blowing it with God, fear of losing salvation, on and on and on.

Here’s BIG BIG relief.....your salvation and your walk with God are NOT based on what YOU do for him. ******It’s based on what HE DID FOR YOU.***** He doesn’t want you beating yourself up over every thought that comes to your mind of what you did wrong. The Point is how great HE is, not how great YOU are. No one can ever focus perfectly, and your salvation isn’t based on how well you can. So you can relax. The burden isn’t on you, so stop being so hard on yourself. All those thoughts do is produce fear. They are toxic thoughts waiting the moment you screw up to show you how you have blown it.
God is not condemning you... those thoughts are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tionbai
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you living a godly life ? Then don’t worry. Be yourself and enjoy the ride. Go to church, read the Bible, fellowship, ask for forgiveness, go in the right direction. These are your focus, not controlling your thoughts. If you have a problem controlling your thoughts God has mercy. He has mercy for all of our problems.
@Robert8102

Upvote 0