Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This Florida teacher married a woman. Now she’s not a teacher anymore.
Nicolette Solomon felt her mother’s words come through the phone and settle, heavy, in her stomach.

It was January, and her mother was talking about a new bill, just proposed in the Florida legislature, that would severely limit how teachers could discuss gender identity and sexual orientation with their students.

She wondered: Could she be herself and stay a teacher in Florida?

--
Although Florida’s law does not take effect until July 1, LGBTQ teachers in Florida felt its impact immediately. In Orlando, a sixth-grade science teacher decided to resign this spring after parents wrote a letter complaining that he had acknowledged his same-sex marriage at school. In Cape Coral, a middle-school art teacher lost her job after admitting her own pansexuality to students.
--

Part of her reticence [about talking about her marriage at school with students] came from the lack of support — veering into open animosity — she had faced from some colleagues ever since her first week on the job. She had long ago learned to nod and smile, swallowing her feelings, when other teachers told Solomon that her marriage was a violation, that it broke God’s rules, that it went against their religion and the way they believed the world should be.

Still, some students figured it out: some by looking up her wedding video or her Instagram, which mentioned her wife, and some by catching sight of her phone background, a wedding picture. When students presented her with this proof, Solomon briefly confirmed the marriage, then moved the conversation to other topics.
--

On Feb. 2, Solomon handed in her letter of resignation, effective immediately.

The final straw was when her supervisor implied she would face consequences for taking a week’s leave so she could get fertility treatments; she and Hayley were trying to have a baby. But the bigger problem was it no longer felt possible to be lesbian and a teacher in Florida. The years of homophobic comments from her colleagues now seemed enshrined in state law, their message — “you don’t belong here” — triumphant and irresistible.

Wow....teaching is apparently extremely homophobic, or Florida has no EEO laws like everywhere else.

I don't believe this victimhood story.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think you're projecting your own unfortunate ethical standards onto this young woman.

If you read the articles you'll see that her interest was not based on 'teaching her sexual morality'. In fact she went to some trouble to keep her personal circumstances out of the classroom.

OB

How odd then....that she would quit over a law that prevented her from doing something she wasn't doing.

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241636_9f4a3046555e3431f8a087b68dbce899_thumb.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, many conservatives believe that people, especially children, can be "groomed" for LGBT.

So do the teachers who want to do the grooming.

I'm not sure what part you're missing. If one of those sides didn't exist....this wouldn't be a topic.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, many conservatives believe that people, especially children, can be "groomed" for LGBT.

You would've thought that all that "grooming" for heteronormativity would've had an effect.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So do the teachers who want to do the grooming.

I'm not sure what part you're missing. If one of those sides didn't exist....this wouldn't be a topic.

Unless bills like the Florida one are solutions looking for a problem.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Unless bills like the Florida one are solutions looking for a problem.

Could be....

But then I don't think we'd see teachers quitting, calling the newspaper to sell a story of woe and tragedy, over a law that didn't affect them.

You know, unless they intended to break the law.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/katv.c...aign-vernadette-broyles-transgender-gay-lgbtq

Or it could be happening....

Regardless, I don't think we need to worry. The school in the case above investigated itself and concluded they did nothing wrong.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You would've thought that all that "grooming" for heteronormativity would've had an effect.

Heteronormativity.....aka....biological reality in sexually dimorphic mammals.

But if you're not hetero....possibly resentful and embittered....you invent terms like "heteronormativity" and claim its a problem.

• Agree
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Heteronormativity.....aka....biological reality in sexually dimorphic mammals.

But if you're not hetero....possibly resentful and embittered....you invent terms like "heteronormativity" and claim its a problem.

Who said it was a problem?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But heteronormativity isn't a problem -- who here said it was?

Most of gender theory is based upon the problematizing of heteronormativity.

I thought you got the whole play on your "problem in search of a solution" in this thing.

If heteronormativity isn't a problem, why teach little children about homosexuality and transgenderism? I know they go "I'll kill myself aggghhhhhh!!!!!".....but I checked the stats, apparently the suicide rate for children younger than 10 is extremely low.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Most of gender theory is based upon the problematizing of heteronormativity.

If you say so.

I thought you got the whole play on your "problem in search of a solution" in this thing.

You must be terribly disappointed.

If heteronormativity isn't a problem, why teach little children about homosexuality and transgenderism?

Because they exist.

I know they go "I'll kill myself aggghhhhhh!!!!!"

If you say so.

.....but I checked the stats, apparently the suicide rate for children younger than 10 is extremely low.

That's good to hear.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you say so.

You must be terribly disappointed.

Because they exist.

If you say so.

That's good to hear.
It is better to remain celibate than to do homosexuality. Polygamy is also outlawed, by the people’s choice. A man with a dozen wives and dozens of children can not adequately train, or care for his children. They are more likely to need public assistance.

Florida has the second lowest teacher’s pay in the nation. What is worse, some teachers want to teach homosexuality is normal behavior.

Jesus did not marry. Paul did not marry. Jeremiah did not marry. This is acceptable. To have homosexual relationships is not acceptable.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,630.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It is better to remain celibate than to do homosexuality. Polygamy is also outlawed, by the people’s choice. A man with a dozen wives and dozens of children can not adequately train, or care for his children. They are more likely to need public assistance.

Florida has the second lowest teacher’s pay in the nation. What is worse, some teachers want to teach homosexuality is normal behavior.

Jesus did not marry. Paul did not marry. Jeremiah did not marry. This is acceptable. To have homosexual relationships is not acceptable.
Your religious belief is noted. I fail to see why it should be applied in a secular society. I find it to be just as archaic as the idea women must cover their bodies to keep men from lust. You are of course free to follow your beliefs but you are not free to impose them on the rest of us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your religious belief is noted. I fail to see why it should be applied in a secular society. I find it to be just as archaic as the idea women must cover their bodies to keep been from lust. You are of course free to follow your beliefs but you are not free to impose them on the rest of us.
Most secular people are not involved in homosexual activities. Why would you try to impose homosexuality on those who experience heterosexual attractions?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Most secular people are not involved in homosexual activities. Why would you try to impose homosexuality on those who experience heterosexual attractions?
I missed the part where anyone was forcing you to be gay.

Telling someone about something does not impose your beliefs on them. Legally forcing them to do or say (or not do/not say) something, on the other hand...

Upvote 0