Florida judge exonerates Miami teacher fired for refusing to use student’s preferred pronouns

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's what you just said.

That's controlling speech.
It really isn't....no more than allowing Charles to be called Chuck is.

But the judge ruled that it is, so it is.

For those of the preferred faith, anyway. The rest of us just have to live with whatever the preferred faith says.

-- A2SG, at least, in Florida......

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It really isn't....

It is...stop conflating two unlike things.

no more than allowing Charles to be called Chuck is.

This is your pathetic attempt at conflating. Calling someone "Chuck" doesn't require altering all of English grammar.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is...stop conflating two unlike things.
I didn't. I was referring to the idea that accommodations for pronoun use constitutes "controlling speech."

But you forgot that I also admitted that the judge ruled it is...so it is. In Florida, anyway. So mote it be.

This is your pathetic attempt at conflating. Calling someone "Chuck" doesn't require altering all of English grammar.
Neither does using a student's preferred pronouns.

But using a preferred pronoun is easily comparable to using a preferred name.

-- A2SG, no matter how you mischaracterize it.....you're good at doing that.....

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I didn't. I was referring to the idea that accommodations for pronoun use constitutes "controlling speech."

It's controlling speech.

Neither does using a student's preferred pronouns.

It does...ze/zir aren't real words.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's controlling speech.
Yeah, I read the judge's ruling too.

It still isn't....but that's how he ruled, so mote it be.

It does...ze/zir aren't real words.
I don't recall ever saying they were.

Though, to be fair, words are added to the language all the time, so they might become real words someday. Who knows? But either way, whether they're added to the language or not, the language will adapt.

That's how language works.

I don't see why this worries you, though. Just so long as you abide by the rules of the preferred faith, as determined by Judge Van Laningham, which you do, you'll be fine.

Grammar will stay just the way the preferred faith decides it should.

-- A2SG, if it knows what's good fer it.....

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Glad we agree.
That the judge ruled the way he did? Sure.

I never disputed that.

Then it's not remotely similar to a nickname.
Sure it is. One pronoun is preferred over another, one name is preferred over another. Very similar. Easily comparable.

One isn't allowed, per the preferred faith as determined by Judge Van Laningham, one is.

Well, for now. You'll have to keep me informed if he rules on the nickname issue.

Thanks for playing.
Well, at least you're finally admitting you're just playing a game.

-- A2SG, been aware of that for some time now....

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Glad we agree.

Then it's not remotely similar to a nickname.

Thanks for playing.
I'm enjoying your well put and reasoned arguments. You have far more patience and tolerance than I do. Great job!

Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That the judge ruled the way he did?

That the student has no right to control the speech of the teacher.

Sure it is. One pronoun is preferred over another, one name is preferred over another.

Pronouns-any of a small set of words (such as I, she, he, you, it, we, or they) in a language that are used as substitutes for nouns or noun phrases and whose referents are named or understood in the context

Name-word or phrase that constitutes the distinctive designation of a person or thing

They may both refer to someone, but names are distinctive, pronouns are not....no matter how hard trans people want them to be.

Well, at least you're finally admitting you're just playing a game.

One of us is....there's a reason why you have to keep referring nicknames as if they have anything to do with this case. They don't. In fact, the teacher may be using nicknames for multiple students in her various classes. This doesn't require belief in magical non-existent genders nor any reimagining of the English language for made up pronouns.

Without this pathetic attempt at conflating pronouns and nicknames....you're done. You've got nothing left.

This isn't about nicknames. They aren't part of the case. Stick to the topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Where does this end?

For the trans activists that genuinely believe in the ideology...

1. In the complete dissolution of the nuclear family.

2. The normalization of all sexual preferences and identities including things like pederasty and inappropriate behavior with animals.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Where does this end? If a student insists on a Martian identity, is a teacher being religious for insisting on an earth identity only?

I am speaking in generality indirectly to the immediate topic.
No, because a "martian" identity would not directly challenge traditional views on human sexuality and gender conformity. Nothing to do with sex at all, really, so nothing to do with conservative religion--which seems to be about nothing else.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
No, because a "martian" identity would not directly challenge traditional views on human sexuality and gender conformity. Nothing to do with sex at all, really, so nothing to do with conservative religion--which seems to be about nothing else.
Unlike liberal theology that is accepting and accommodating of every sexual perversion trotted out into the public purview. Why not just stick to the topic as posted? There is plenty of opportunity for you to get embarrassed there.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Unlike liberal theology that is accepting and accommodating of every sexual perversion trotted out into the public purview. Why not just stick to the topic as posted?
I don't know. It was Lukaris who asked the question.
There is plenty of opportunity for you to get embarrassed there.
You mean it's not about sex?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That the student has no right to control the speech of the teacher.
Yeah, I read the report. We all know that her faith is sacrosanct. Everyone else: back of the bus, you!

Pronouns-any of a small set of words (such as I, she, he, you, it, we, or they) in a language that are used as substitutes for nouns or noun phrases and whose referents are named or understood in the context

Name-word or phrase that constitutes the distinctive designation of a person or thing

They may both refer to someone, but names are distinctive, pronouns are not....no matter how hard trans people want them to be.
I know what a pronoun is, thanks.

Doesn't negate my comparison, though.

One of us is....there's a reason why you have to keep referring nicknames as if they have anything to do with this case.
I use the comparison of preferred pronouns to nicknames because it's apt.

They don't. In fact, the teacher may be using nicknames for multiple students in her various classes. This doesn't require belief in magical non-existent genders nor any reimagining of the English language for made up pronouns.
Neither does using a student's preferred pronoun.

In this case, of course, the teacher wasn't expected to make up any words or "non-existent genders" at all. The student asked to be referred to by an existing male pronoun, nothing made up or contrary to current grammar usage. Not that grammar was given as the reason for her objection, though, that's something you added.

Without this pathetic attempt at conflating pronouns and nicknames....you're done.
I never conflated the two. I compared them.

There is a difference, you know.

You've got nothing left.
Yeah, you always say that when you're unable to counter my arguments.

This isn't about nicknames. They aren't part of the case. Stick to the topic.
Yeah, I probably should stop bringing up comparable situations, since they seem to utterly confuse you.

-- A2SG, not that I'm gonna.....

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For the trans activists that genuinely believe in the ideology...

1. In the complete dissolution of the nuclear family.

2. The normalization of all sexual preferences and identities including things like pederasty and inappropriate behavior with animals.
Oops....you forgot to include citations where you quote actual people who have specifically advocated for exactly those things.

Otherwise, people might come to the conclusion you just made that stuff up. And we can't have that, can we?

-- A2SG, awaiting your citation.....

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,853.00
Faith
Pentecostal
You mean it's not about sex?
It depends on which meaning of sex you are referring to. In THIS topic it's about biological sex and not the act of sex. Where you referring to biological sex as a gender or were you referring to sex as in intercourse?

Upvote 0