Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A Florida homeowner’s HOA says she must take down her Blue Lives Matter flag, calling it racist and offensive.

Jeff Gaddie told Fox 30 that his daughter flies the flag outside her home to honor him and other family members who are in law enforcement.

Gaddie says the homeowner’s association sent his daughter a letter, telling her the flag does not fit the rules and regulations of the HOA.

Florida homeowner told to take down Blue Lives Matter flag

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
HOA petty dictator seeks to impose will on neighbor, neighbor failed to read HOA papers before signing them.

In other news water found to be wet.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
A Florida homeowner’s HOA says she must take down her Blue Lives Matter flag, calling it racist and offensive.

Jeff Gaddie told Fox 30 that his daughter flies the flag outside her home to honor him and other family members who are in law enforcement.

Gaddie says the homeowner’s association sent his daughter a letter, telling her the flag does not fit the rules and regulations of the HOA.

Florida homeowner told to take down Blue Lives Matter flag

What political ramifications about this would you like to discuss?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Before I even read anything about this. I am going to make a prediction that this homeowner lives in an HOA run neighborhood where flags aren't allowed.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaandd I was right. It's a neighborhood where the HOA agreement only allows for the standard US and US military flags.

People, if you don't want to abide by the rules of an HOA, don't live in a neighborhood that has an HOA.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Many HOAs are persnickety in rule-creating and enforcing, so this doesn't raise my brows. The HOA for the gated community where I used to live forbade any banners or flags except American ones, and even then you had to comply with specific standards about their size and how they were displayed. My grandparents currently live in one that is even stricter. In both no campaign signs or endorsements for sports teams were permitted on lawns.

• Informative
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have a home in WPB and our HOA is like something out of a George Orwell novel.

Fortunately they're all dying and being replaced by more reasonable people.

The woman who threatened us over my mother's service dog (even after their attorney warned them that they were violating federal laws and could be sued by us and that we would win) and then later threatened us for having a grill (and told us "only rednecks cook on a grill in their yard") now avoids us like the plague after I showed up at aboard meeting and raised [a word that ironically I'm not allowed to use here but which the Bible uses repeatedly] about that.

So now I make it a point to walk my mother's dog past her house just to annoy her.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Tell me please, what race is police?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not cool, unless the dog was disturbing them somehow. Did they just not like the dog for no apparent reason?

The rules say "no dogs", which I don't like, but understand.

The dog is a bout twenty five pounds and very docile. None of our neighbors have had any complaints and all seem to enjoy her being around. Because many of our neighbors are elderly, most actually look forward to seeing her.

The problem is that they continued to harass us and my mother even after their attorney explained to them that the dog is a service dog and must be allowed.

So for our part it was never about the prohibition on dogs (especially since by law they can't prohibit her service dog anyway) It was about the harassment and general nastiness of the way they acted toward my mother and toward us

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The rules say "no dogs", which I don't like, but understand.

The dog is a bout twenty five pounds and very docile. None of our neighbors have had any complaints and all seem to enjoy her being around. Because many of our neighbors are elderly, most actually look forward to seeing her.

The problem is that they continued to harass us and my mother even after their attorney explained to them that the dog is a service dog and must be allowed.

So for our part it was never about the prohibition on dogs (especially since by law they can't prohibit her service dog anyway) It was about the harassment and general nastiness of the way they acted toward my mother and toward us

I see...no barking or doo doo in the yard...stuff like that?

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Donald J. Trump is the President; you break the rules, you pay the price.

Though when he broke the rules of a town I grew up in where one of his golf courses is located, others paid the price. He actually violated city ordinances regarding displaying flags, but since he'd already sued the town and the school board, using expensive litigation as a means of bullying into getting his way, they acquiesced. Prior to the flag infraction (if my memory on the timeline is correct; I was a kid then) there'd been contentious, expensive lawsuits after he'd illegally planted enormous shrubs to block the views of neighboring homes from his golf course because he ridiculed them as eyesores to his golfers. This outraged the homeowners, who'd always kept their houses (which are worth millions) in good condition (as the HOA required). He thought the houses were aesthetically displeasing because they were older, smaller and less ornate than others in the community. Most of the other houses were new McMansions, having been built after the older homes on the lots were torn down, but those owners didn't believe that bigger and newer was better, so they refused to follow that trend. He derided their homes and them personally. Eventually he got his way with the shrubs, and they lost the panoramic ocean views they'd enjoyed for decades. Unsurprisingly, the majority in the area did not vote for him last November.

Edit:
I asked my dad about this, and he said the dispute over Trump's flag was not just a matter of breaking city ordinances; the California Coastal Commission had long-established rules he'd had been in violation of with the height of his flag pole (which is 70 feet tall, when the highest allowed by the CCC is 26 feet).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Before I even read anything about this. I am going to make a prediction that this homeowner lives in an HOA run neighborhood where flags aren't allowed.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaandd I was right. It's a neighborhood where the HOA agreement only allows for the standard US and US military flags.

People, if you don't want to abide by the rules of an HOA, don't live in a neighborhood that has an HOA.
According to the article, it's not enforced since there are other violating flags in the neighborhood that weren't targeted by the HOA.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
According to the article, it's not enforced since there are other violating flags in the neighborhood that weren't targeted by the HOA.
A HOA is selectively enforcing rules based on the prejudices of those running it? Inconceivable!

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm the OP and I didn't mention dogs.

Oops, got the two flags mixed up. The poster that was talking about dogs then. :)

The be clear of the confusion, I was asking
South Bound about the dogs possible barking or spot fertilizing the neighbors yard.

Upvote 0