Florida family behind ‘church’ that sold bleach as a COVID cure goes to trial this week

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The Genesis II Church of Health and Healing was operated out of a home in Bradenton in Manatee County. Through websites, social media, books and podcasts, the Grenon family promoted their “Miracle Mineral Solution” as a cure for 95% of the world’s known diseases, including HIV/AIDS, autism, Alzheimer’s, leukemia and COVID-19.

Prosecutors say the Grenons made over $1 million before federal authorities cracked down on them for distributing an unapproved and misbranded drug in 2020.

The family — Mark Grenon and his sons Jonathan Grenon, Joseph Grenon and Jordan Grenon — were arrested and charged after they continued to distribute and promote the substance and were openly defiant of court orders.

Officials have blamed the ingestion of MMS for several deaths, as well as severe illness and hospitalization.

In April 2020, federal authorities sent the Grenons a warning letter ordering them to stop sales of MMS.

“We can say cure, heal and treat as a Free Church,” Genesis allegedly said in a response letter. “There will be NO corrective actions on our part. ... You have no authority over us! ... Never going to happen.”

The Grenons’ open defiance of the court order ultimately led to criminal charges and a federal raid on the family’s Bradenton home, where federal investigators say they found loaded guns, nearly 10,000 pounds of sodium chlorite powder and thousands of bottles of MMS.

Religious Persecution!

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
see also

Revealed: leader of group peddling bleach as coronavirus 'cure' wrote to Trump this week

The leader of the most prominent group in the US peddling potentially lethal industrial bleach as a “miracle cure” for coronavirus wrote to Donald Trump at the White House this week.

In his letter, Mark Grenon told Trump that chlorine dioxide – a powerful bleach used in industrial processes such as textile manufacturing that can have fatal side-effects when drunk – is “a wonderful detox that can kill 99% of the pathogens in the body”. He added that it “can rid the body of Covid-19”.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I guess this is the sort of story that gives some people the warm fuzzies.
Do I get warm fuzzies from dangerous scam artists being brought to justice? Guilty as charged!

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do I get warm fuzzies from dangerous scam artists being brought to justice? Guilty as charged!
No I mean, you get the warm fuzzies particularly because the scam artists in this case just so happen to be Christian.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
No I mean, you get the warm fuzzies particularly because the scam artists in this case just so happen to be Christian.
Although they used a 'church' to allegedly shield their crimes, I have no idea what their religious affiliation is.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Although they used a 'church' to allegedly shield their crimes, I have no idea what their religious affiliation is.
So you're saying there's a chance they may actually not be Christian?

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does it matter? They were scam artists pedaling poison, they should be behind bars no matter the religion they are hiding behind.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
I mean, I think you know they claim to be Christian. They've got "GENESIS" in the name of their church lol

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I mean, I think you know they claim to be Christian. They've got "GENESIS" in the name of their church lol
If the church is (as prosecutors allege) a scam, I don't know how much you can learn about the scam artists by looking at the 'theology' of the church.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If the church is (as prosecutors allege) a scam, I don't know how much you can learn about the scam artists by looking at the 'theology' of the church.
well that's... ambiguous

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
well that's... ambiguous
If you're going to run a religious scam in the US, and your goal is to make a lot of money, you don't pretend to be a Zoroastrian agiary.

You drop your bait in the largest pond.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If you're going to run a religious scam in the US, and your goal is to make a lot of money, you don't pretend to be a Zoroastrian agiary.

You drop your bait in the largest pond.
Free-market theology?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A federal jury in Miami found Mark Grenon, 65, and his sons, 37-year-old Jonathan, 35-year-old Joseph and 29-year-old Jordan, guilty of conspiring to defraud the United States and deliver misbranded drugs, according to court records. That charge carries up to five years in prison. Their sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 6.

Interesting detail: U.S. authorities agreed to drop ... contempt charges against Mark and Joseph Grenon as a condition of their extradition from Colombia.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A federal jury in Miami found Mark Grenon, 65, and his sons, 37-year-old Jonathan, 35-year-old Joseph and 29-year-old Jordan, guilty of conspiring to defraud the United States and deliver misbranded drugs, according to court records. That charge carries up to five years in prison. Their sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 6.

Florida man, sons sentenced to years in prison after being convicted of selling bleach as fake COVID-19 cure

Jonathan Grenon, 37, and Jordan Grenon, 29, were sentenced on Friday to 151 months in prison for conspiring to defraud the United States by distributing an unapproved and misbranded drug, and for contempt of court, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office Southern District of Florida. Mark Grenon, 66, and Joseph Grenon, 36, were sentenced to 60 months in prison, the statutory maximm for conspiring to defraud the United States by distributing an unapproved and misbranded drug.

Prosecutors called the Grenons "con men" and "snake-oil salesmen" and said the family's Genesis II Church of Health and Healing sold $1 million worth of their so-called Miracle Mineral Solution, distributing it to tens of thousands of people nationwide. In videos, the solution was sold as a cure for 95% of known diseases, including COVID-19, Alzheimer's, autism, brain cancer, HIV/AIDS and multiple sclerosis, prosecutors said.

Upvote 0