Florida considers making suppressors(silencers) legal.

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Basically, the muffler for a gun makes it less damaging to the ears of shooters. (I believe the noise level is still damaging levels but not as bad.)

Antigun:
"What if criminals get them?"
They will commit crimes...dah.

The shot will be less noticable, but will cause less harm to hearing for people that shoot.

I believe the only caliber that will be safe to shoot without ear protection might be .22, but many shooters think the (unsuppressed) .22 is safe for hearing, its not.

That suppressors will not contribute to crime will not matter to anti-gun.
It never matters to them that their proposed laws would do little to stop armed criminals.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Basically, the muffler for a gun makes it less damaging to the ears of shooters. (I believe the noise level is still damaging levels but not as bad.)

Antigun:
"What if criminals get them?"
They will commit crimes...dah.

The shot will be less noticable, but will cause less harm to hearing for people that shoot.

I believe the only caliber that will be safe to shoot without ear protection might be .22, but many shooters think the (unsuppressed) .22 is safe for hearing, its not.

That suppressors will not contribute to crime will not matter to anti-gun.
It never matters to them that their proposed laws would do little to stop armed criminals.

Yeah- .22 is still plenty loud without ear protection. Criminals don't care if their hearing is preserved- just like they don't care if they're holding their pistols correctly when shooting. Utilizing the sites and having good marksmanship doesn't matter to 'gangstas'. Suppressors or no suppressors won't stop the thug spray and pray crowd.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So, all criminals in the USA that commit gun crimes are black gangstas, yes?

Supressors make gun sounds more silent, even if they still are plenty loud. It makes the gun sound of a lesser caliber, though, or from farther away.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, all criminals in the USA that commit gun crimes are black gangstas, yes?

Supressors make gun sounds more silent, even if they still are plenty loud. It makes the gun sound of a lesser caliber, though, or from farther away.

Who said anything about them being black? The one handed sideways grip (generally referred to as a 'gansta' grip) is considered cool among those who tend to use guns with criminal intent. Suppressors or a lack of them are not going to make a difference to people intent on committing crimes.

ETA- for future reference. Thugs/gansta wannabes in the US come in all colors. Perhaps you should get a little more educated on the matter.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Who said anything about them being black? The one handed sideways grip (generally referred to as a 'gansta' grip) is considered cool among those who tend to use guns with criminal intent. Suppressors or a lack of them are not going to make a difference to people intent on committing crimes.

ETA- for future reference. Thugs/gansta wannabes in the US come in all colors. Perhaps you should get a little more educated on the matter.

I'm sorry, I equate "Gangstas", especially if written like that, with black people. Mostly because those are what pop up when you google that word.

Why are you so afraid of people who can't even hold their gun properly, by the way? I know I couldn't hit anything that way.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, I equate "Gangstas", especially if written like that, with black people. Mostly because those are what pop up when you google that word.

Why are you so afraid of people who can't even hold their gun properly, by the way? I know I couldn't hit anything that way.

You wouldn't believe how many young teen boys of all colors are wannabe 'gangstas' in this nation. I taught for twelve years- and every year I saw quite a few who aspired to that.

As to your question- because they just start shooting and hit anything, everything, and anyone besides the people they are 'aiming' at. Those fools are a danger to themselves and others. Even the low rim shot calibers and so-called non-defensive lower center fire calibers can be dangerous in the hands of even the most moronic shooter.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Suppressors have been legal in my state for a while now... no reported increases in crime rates.

"Silencer" is a misleading term...it's not like in the movies where a secret agent shoots a bad guy in the kitchen, and the bad guy's friends in the living room don't here it.

Even with a top notch silencer, it's still going to be pretty loud.

There's a range about 20 miles from where I live that allows you to rent and use class 2 and class 3 weapons on their facilities. I've shot several pistols and rifles with silencers/suppressors and you still need ear protection for most of them. I shot a silenced Glock .45 ACP on their outdoor range using a Osprey (a $1200 device) and that thing will still make your ears ring if you shoot it without ear protection.

Another interesting thing to note is that you can't shoot it as many times with the silencer on as you could with it off...the reason for this being that the blow back of carbon, dirt and unburned powder (which would normally escape the gun) end up inside the gun so they will start to misfire and malfunction fairly quickly if you don't clean them every 20 or so shots.

While states have varying laws on silencers, regardless of their laws, if your state does allow them, there's still some federal paperwork and background checking that takes place (because I looked into it). You go through your standard FBI background check as you would to buy a pistol, and in addition to that, you need to submit a stack of paperwork to the ATF and there's a long wait before you get to take your product home.

I've considered getting one, and here's the process (federally defined regardless of whether your state allows it or not)

Obtain the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm) from your dealer in duplicate. Some information should be pre-filled by your dealer, such as the dealer’s name and address, the model of the silencer you are purchasing, the overall length of the silencer, the caliber of the silencer, the serial number of the silencer, and the manufacturer’s information. Make sure the dealer signs the appropriate fields. Remember to complete all information in duplicate.

Fill out the required information on the front of the form, including your name and address. Complete the back by answering the questions and stating the reason you are acquiring the silencer. Sign and date the back of the form. Again, remember to complete all information in duplicate.

Affix a recent color passport-sized photograph of yourself on the back of each copy of the form.

Acquire a signature of the chief law enforcement officer of your county or your local sheriff.

While you are at the station obtaining the required signature, ink up your fingers and get two copies of FBI fingerprint cards (FBI Form FD-258) that you will send in with the two duplicates of Form 4.

Fill out the ATF Form 5330.20 (Certification of Compliance). This form does not have to be in duplicate.

Place both completed copies of Form 4, the two copies of FBI fingerprint cards, and the completed Certification of Compliance form in an envelope, along with a check or money order (payable to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) for $200 and mail to the address listed on Form 4. We advise that you use a check and not a money order so you can see when the ATF cashes your check. Approximate wait time on this step is 2-6 months.

After the ATF approves Form 4, they will put a stamp on one of the two copies you sent them and then send it to the dealer where you purchased the silencer. The dealer will then notify you that the paperwork has returned and that the silencer is ready to pick up.

...as you can see, it's not as if the state passes the law and then all of the sudden you can just walk into a sporting good store and walk out with a silencer same day. They're very very expensive devices and obtaining one is a very time consuming and expensive process.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
now you can stand your ground quietly

My first thought. And presumably walk away afterwards without anyone noticing, thus saving the police and prosecutors the cost of being seen to go through with all that "trial" nonsense the punters insist on.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
My first thought. And presumably walk away afterwards without anyone noticing, thus saving the police and prosecutors the cost of being seen to go through with all that "trial" nonsense the punters insist on.

I was making a bad joke, mainly. Suppressed shots are indeed still rather audible.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was making a bad joke, mainly. Suppressed shots are indeed still rather audible.

I'm aware of what a suppressed shot sounds like. Yes, indeed audible, but sound much further away, and with a subsonic round, much more difficult to determine direction. Somebody else's problem, best not get involved.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm aware of what a suppressed shot sounds like. Yes, indeed audible, but sound much further away, and with a subsonic round, much more difficult to determine direction. Somebody else's problem, best not get involved.

How many muggers are doing long distance silenced shots though? Typically they're in a store 5-10 feet away from the clerk or right up next to the would-be victim.

I can't think of a single recent armed robbery case where a suppressed firearm would have given the assailant an advantage.

From the aspect of the folks who fear the mass shooters, as I made reference to before, you can't take your AR-15, and go "mass shooting" while it's suppressed (which is the scenario that most gun control folks use as their primary example) due to the fact that you're likely to get malfunctions do to how incredibly dirty it's going to get. The suppressed guns I've tried out were so dirty after 20-30 shots that you'd think you had put 2000 rounds through them without cleaning. ...not to mention, if you're going into a mall or crowded building to perform an atrocity like that, my guess would be that "stealth" isn't really a primary concern for those types of guys.

...and, as I mentioned in my previous post, it's not as if a state makes them legal, and all of the sudden, any average person can walk into a Cabela's and walk out with one same day. It's still a rigorous process at the federal level to acquire one including ATF & FBI checks as well as sign-off from the Chief of Police for your city or your county sheriff (and that doesn't mean someone who works for the sheriffs dept. like when you get a ccw permit, you have to meet with the head honcho...and as I'm sure you can guess, good luck scheduling time for a 1-on-1 sit down with your chief of police...especially if you live in a populous city)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does this mean that the silencer that Javier Bardem uses in "No Country for Old Men" is legal too? Imagine hunting and your shotgun goes "pew" and the birds just sit around like nothing happened.

It means that the particular silencer you're referring to is not real :D

mpok1519 said:
Unless it significantly aides in the process of securing a person or their property, or hunting, I can't really see the point. What was the reason a prohibition was set in the first place?

I'm not sure that they've ever been banned at the federal level to be honest (although I could be wrong), I think they've always been restricted at the state level in terms of "yea/nea" as far as ownership is concerned...as I mentioned though, while the federal government defines them as legal, it's still quite a process in order to obtain one (regulations happened under NAFTA)

I'm not sure why people are so "up in arms" about suppressors on the gun control side of the debate...that's actually one area where the US happens to be stricter than some Euro countries.

Nations like Finland, Denmark, and Germany, suppressors are considered part of the gun (reason cited for having them is for hunting purposes) and is covered by the license of the gun that it's attached to.

Nations like Poland and Sweden are even more lax than that, as they don't classify a suppressor as a weapon at all and they're fairly easy to get and there's almost no regulation on the sales or production, all of their emphasis is on the regulation of the firearm itself (which makes sense...considering that a silencer with no gun to attach it to is nothing more than a useless cylinder).

Take a look at the Wiki article on suppressor regulation, this is one aspect where the US, surprisingly, is more restrictive than most of the Euro nations that often criticize our gun culture.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status