New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I try to describe how it is for me, from my perspective.

The aim is to understand. Else, why bother talking?

The question was, how do you help them understand?

There's only one truth, but many lies.

There's only one reality, but many perspectives. So I don't care about perspectives.

If you want perspectives, see Google. If you want reality, see God's word.

Which do you want?

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I said that the Earth is described metaphorically, as in having "four corners" ...

Four corners is not used in every mention of earth in scriptures.

It refers to the four cardinal points.

How is that a metaphor?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Out of this thread. My head is spinning already! o_O

Me too. Some people believe anything.

"Up and down
And in the end it's only round and round
and round and round"

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Four corners is not used in every mention of earth in scriptures.
No ... it is just an example of the metaphorical language used when describing the earth in the scriptures.
It refers to the four cardinal points.
Are you arguing that the "four corners of the earth" is not a metaphor ?

What exactly do you mean when you say the "four cardinal points" ?

Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you arguing that the "four corners of the earth" is not a metaphor ?

I am not arguing. I am stating plainly; that is not a metaphor. It is a primitive, archaic reference to the four cardinal points.

What exactly do you mean when you say the "four cardinal points" ?

North, East, West, South.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The aim is to understand. Else, why bother talking?

Sure, I'm trying to understand you even now, but you are refusing to communicate.

There's only one truth, but many lies.

How do you sift the truth from the lies?

Which do you want?

At the moment, all I want is to know why you think "We do not test God's word, through things".

If you don't test something, how do you know it's truth and not a lie?

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not arguing. I am stating plainly; that is not a metaphor. It is a primitive, archaic reference to the four cardinal points.

North, East, West, South.
Those are directions.

The point is that it is not literally descriptive of the earth. It's our day-to-day experience of the earth.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,117.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I mean. A ball earth?? Spinning and flung through space like a slingshot??

Who would believe such??
Only someone rather shallow and lacking curiosity, happy to believe any nonsense they were told.

An informed, inquisitive, sceptical peson would accept the best explanation currently available for a mutiplicity of observations, confirmed and validated by tens of thousands of tests and millions of daily experiences. They would accept a spinning sphere moving in ellipical orbit about a star, in a universes of many stars. No belief necessary.

The thinking person would see no conflict between the nature of the universe as determined through such observation and investigation, with its nature, as described in words that could be comprehended by a pastoral people lacking advanced knowledge about the nature of the universe.

Insisting upon a literal interpretation of words designed for that culture is an insult to those people and to one's own intellect. I'm OK with the latter, not impressed by the former.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you don't test something, how do you know it's truth and not a lie?

1. In order to test a thing, you need a reference, a standard, a yardstick.

2. In order to have a standard, the standard must first be accepted.

If we can't get past 2, we can't get to 1.

Now 2, is where you're stuck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Messenger 3k

Aug 4, 2018
New Jersey
✟38,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only someone rather shallow and lacking curiosity, happy to believe any nonsense they were told.

An informed, inquisitive, sceptical peson would accept the best explanation currently available for a mutiplicity of observations, confirmed and validated by tens of thousands of tests and millions of daily experiences. They would accept a spinning sphere moving in ellipical orbit about a star, in a universes of many stars. No belief necessary.

The thinking person would see no conflict between the nature of the universe as determined through such observation and investigation, with its nature, as described in words that could be comprehended by a pastoral people lacking advanced knowledge about the nature of the universe.

Insisting upon a literal interpretation of words designed for that culture is an insult to those people and to one's own intellect. I'm OK with the latter, not impressed by the former.

Lol.

This is a perfect example of someone perambulating in circles from point A to arrive back at point A; and then arguing that point A is in fact point B.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,117.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Lol.

This is a perfect example of someone perambulating in circles from point A to arrive back at point A; and then arguing that point A is in fact point B.
The only circles I am wandering in are the ones followed by our planet, in its daily turns and annual orbits.

In case you missed my opening point, I consider beliefs the refuge of the insecure, the unquestioning and the dull. People who unquestioningly accept the findings of science are just as worthy of scorn as those who unqeustioningly accept the claims of F.E. enthusiasts. They are to be pitied. On the other hand those who argue against the evidence based upon an indiosyncratic reading of scripture are to be condemned.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A sizable number of scriptures show, if anything, earth is not a spinning ball.
There are zero such scriptures

We test all things (including science), through God's word.
That is an incorrect and out of context application of that scripture. And, even if it were your first statement would fail that test.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
1. In order to test a thing, you need a reference, a standard, a yardstick.

To measure something, perhaps. But to test something may depend on what kind of a thing it is. 'Can this bridge support the weight of 10 cars?' Well, you can drive 10 cars onto it and reality will tell you the answer quite plainly.

I mean probably civil engineers have reference books that tell you so and so much concrete of such and such a kind and weight limits. But....

What if you built the bridge exactly according to the reference, but it failed when there were 10 cars on it? You might conclude that there was an error in the reference, or possibly the error was in your understanding of the reference book, but you never would have known that if you hadn't tested it.

Now 2, is where you're stuck.

I'm not stuck. I'm doing just fine thanks. I was just hoping to learn why you think "We do not test God's word, through things".
If it's faulty, or your understanding of it is faulty, you're never going to find out if you take that kind of attitude.

Upvote 0