First on CNN: AG Sessions did not disclose Russia meetings in security clearance form, DOJ says

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Seem bad ...

"As a United States Senator, the Attorney General met hundreds -- if not thousands -- of foreign dignitaries and their staff," spokesman Ian Prior said. "In filling out the SF-86 form, the Attorney General's staff consulted with those familiar with the process, as well as the FBI investigator handling the background check, and was instructed not to list meetings with foreign dignitaries and their staff connected with his Senate activities."

however, ...

To obtain a security clearance, a federal official is not required to list the meetings if they were part of a foreign conference he or she attended while conducting government business. Sessions' meetings, however, do not appear to be tied to foreign conferences.

Sounds like he got bad information from the FBI.

Full story here -->:wave:

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At his confirmation hearing January 10, Sessions testified that he "did not have communications" with the Russians during the campaign. He made the same assertion in an official questionnaire.

"Let me be clear," Sessions said before announcing his recusal, "I never had meetings with Russian operatives or Russian intermediaries about the Trump campaign."
He added: "I do not recall any discussions with the Russian ambassador or any other representative of the Russian government, regarding the political campaign on these occasions or any other occasion."

What was the exact question he was asked at his confirmation hiring? Did they ask if he had had communications with the Russians about the Trump Campaign? If not then he should have disclosed that he had had meetings with the Russian ambassador during the campaign.
Now it makes it appear as though he was trying to hide something even if he really wasn't.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
At his confirmation hearing January 10, Sessions testified that he "did not have communications" with the Russians during the campaign. He made the same assertion in an official questionnaire.

"Let me be clear," Sessions said before announcing his recusal, "I never had meetings with Russian operatives or Russian intermediaries about the Trump campaign."
He added: "I do not recall any discussions with the Russian ambassador or any other representative of the Russian government, regarding the political campaign on these occasions or any other occasion."

What was the exact question he was asked at his confirmation hiring? Did they ask if he had had communications with the Russians about the Trump Campaign? If not then he should have disclosed that he had had meetings with the Russian ambassador during the campaign.
Now it makes it appear as though he was trying to hide something even if he really wasn't.

Maybe he voluntarily and unnecessarily withheld the truth/lied, in the same way he did to Congress.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe he voluntarily and unnecessarily withheld the truth/lied, in the same way he did to Congress.
Idk but I think sometimes that people being questioned can unwittingly assume that they know what is relevant information, especially trained people such as attorneys, and therefore only state what they believe they are being asked. This can get someone in a lot of trouble.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

What was the exact question he was asked at his confirmation hiring?

Pretty sure the question from Sen. Franken was "if there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do?" Kinda weird for an innocent person to feel a need to answer that by denying any contact with Russian officials.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Good point. And one thT seems konda lost.
Whether or not trump has done anything untoward he does himself no favours by trying to convince people to stop investigations or get rid of people who investigate.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good point. And one thT seems konda lost.
Whether or not trump has done anything untoward he does himself no favours by trying to convince people to stop investigations or get rid of people who investigate.
Trump will undo himself by the cover-up and obstruction attempts. I doubt there was collusion to any great degree. That would require a level of organizing that we now know the Trump team lacks the necessary competence. Instead, there were a bunch of people looking to enrich themselves and they were "owned" by Putin's operatives.... IMHO.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pretty sure the question from Sen. Franken was "if there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do?" Kinda weird for an innocent person to feel a need to answer that by denying any contact with Russian officials.
I think that may have been a different question, but I am not sure.
But again because Sessions was a Congressman he may have assumed that question would not include him talking to the ambassador in his position as a Congressman. He may have only talked to him in his regular governmental business relationship and not as a campaign representative. If so that wasn't a smart thing to assume. Even attorneys can do stupid things when under pressure.
I'm just not willing to assume that he did something wrong or that he intentionally lied unless I see more evidence.

Upvote 0