First experience with Anime/Manga.

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
So, what was your first experience. I am not talking about the shows you watched as a kid, but the experience that made you a fan (unless it was those shows).

For me, it was the Chobits AMV made to the song "Not Gonna Get Us". That led me to watch Chobits, which led me to watching anime as a whole.

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The 'Saturday Anime' programming block on the Sci-Fi Channel back in the mid-90s. Granted, I couldn't watch much of it, but every so often I would. After that my interest tapered off for a while until Toonami started (early 1997), and I watched Voltron and Robotech. That got me back into it a little, although I was extremely into Robotech, and after the huge buzz over Dragonball Z and Gundam Wing faded out around late 2000, I lost interest again until mid 2002. It was mainly AMVs (the ones usually considered classics - Engel, Right Now Someone Is Reading This Title, that one Pokémon video that I'm not going to repeat the name of here, etc.) that I found scattered about on peer-to-peer networks - those got me to remember some shows that I'd heard about but never watched. So that lead to me watching Oh My Goddess! (OVA) and Neon Genesis Evangelion* that summer. I've not lost interest since. Mid-2002 was also when I first started editing AMVs, using only VirtualDub (that was painful - I moved onto Premiere in 2003).

*Interestingly enough, when I was into Robotech we'd go to Barnes and Noble and I'd get the novelizations of the series. This was ~1998, and then, like today, they had the graphic novels/manga in the subsection of the Sci-Fi area where the Robotech novels were. I distinctly remember picking up the Eva manga and flipping through it, and thinking to myself, "I'd like to get this", but I wasn't about to pay - or ask my mom to pay - 15 bucks for a book as thin as those were. Several years later I ended up getting them (vols.1-7 in the old left-to-right large bound version).

Upvote 0

PixieSunbelle

formerly xladyfayre
Jan 2, 2007
in some fairy forest
✟16,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When my bf and i met he was into Dragon Ball Z and we would watch it for like hours on his computer... so many episodes of Dragon Ball, lol. At the time- i did not know it was anime...
Some time later, i met this kid and i ended up going to his house during the summer for math help. We would hang out and all that and one day he showed me School Rumble... after that, me and him would talk about anime and Jpop.... i became interested in Chobits, Fruits Basket, and Chibi Vampire

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.