First day of US bishops’ meeting marked by division over Eucharist for abortion promoters

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm curious about that as well. Some of the bishops who were on the alleged list to not discuss it, put out clarifications that they wanted to discuss it in person not remotely because of the complications of 300 people talking on a remote meeting. And I can actually see that in relation to the list from a week or so ago.

I'll give some of them who had strong pro-life records the benefit of the doubt.

But this vote there would be no excuse to voting nay.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Do we have a list of the nay votes?
It was only 55 votes apparently, so the forces of Cupich seem to be suffering more defections.

I expect that we will not find out because it was a closed session. But some bishops may spill some of the beans.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It was only 55 votes apparently, so the forces of Cupich seem to be suffering more defections.

I expect that we will not find out because it was a closed session. But some bishops may spill some of the beans.

The right side one, but I have a feeling the resulting document will still be flaccid to placate the Cupich crew. Meaning we'll still be at square one.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The right side one, but I have a feeling the resulting document will still be flaccid to placate the Cupich crew. Meaning we'll still be at square one.
Why do we even have any bishops favoring incoherence?

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why do we even have any bishops favoring incoherence?

That's the question of the day. The fact that there's a debate over this at all is the definition of absurd. It begs the question: do they want Catholics to believe incorrectly? Is that their intended outcome, that their flock believe wrongly?

If so, then may they be anathema.

The corruption is deeply calcified in the Church and nobody represents that better than Cupich, McElroy, Gregory and all the bishops of their stripe.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's the question of the day. The fact that there's a debate over this at all is the definition of absurd. It begs the question: do they want Catholics to believe incorrectly? Is that their intended outcome, that their flock believe wrongly?

If so, then may they be anathema.

The corruption is deeply calcified in the Church and nobody represents that better than Cupich, McElroy, Gregory and all the bishops of their stripe.
It's like McCarrick never left.

My wife asked if he was in prison. Nope. He has disappeared after leaving Kansas. Presumably to some place nice and warm.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Wilton Gregory won't do it. His district is in the archdiocese of Los Angeles CA. So it's up to archbishop Gomez. One wonders. The gauntlet has been thrown down. Representative Lieu is weaponizing the Eucharist. Shame.
Dear @USCCB: I’m Catholic and I support: -Contraception -A woman’s right to choose -Treatments for infertility -The right for people to get a divorce -The right of same sex marriage Next time I go to Church, I dare you to deny me Communion.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's like McCarrick never left.

My wife asked if he was in prison. Nope. He has disappeared after leaving Kansas. Presumably to some place nice and warm.

Oh yeah he's probably on a beach in the Azores with a cabana boy.

Wilton Gregory won't do it. His district is in the archdiocese of Los Angeles CA. So it's up to archbishop Gomez. One wonders. The gauntlet has been thrown down.

Nope Gregory won't do it. If anyone says "why don't you ordain women" just say "why bother when we have Wilton Gregory?" None of the LA bishops will do it either. Cordileone is the toughest bishop in California but even he comes up short. The fact that he's bemoaning the situation but told Eric Sammons he basically won't (yet) deny Nancy Pelosi communion is as much a betrayal as any of the others.

• Haha
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
People who go on about weaponizing Holy Communion... I pointed out to someone the other day when politicians in New Orleans opposed integrating races and were in manifest open racism, the bishop there denied them communion. And wanted them to tell me that that was not okay.

The denial of the Eucharist prevents someone from weaponizing the Body of Christ against their own soul.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
People who go on about weaponizing Holy Communion... I pointed out to someone the other day when politicians in New Orleans opposed integrating races and were in manifest open racism, the bishop there denied them communion. And wanted them to tell me that that was not okay.

The denial of the Eucharist prevents someone from weaponizing the Body of Christ against their own soul.

That should be the argument right there. It's already weaponized, so by denying them the Eucharist we're keeping them from hurting themselves. Like a kid handling a knife when they don't know what they're doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums