Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You don’t have a right to subject your co-workers to your religious beliefs or evangelize them. You were hired for a task not ministry. If you choose to engage you do it with the knowledge you may be subject to complaints or correction. If I felt you were harassing me I’d go to HR.

Is that the law?
Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Where on a legal basis you could be correct. But in the article she claims to have only answered direct questions.

No means no. End of discussion. It isn’t a green light for furtherance. While we don’t have the details as of yet, there are many Christians who believe their faith gives them carte blanche for bad behavior.

It is unloving to impress yourself on others when they’ve declined interest. You can’t run roughshod over people in the name of God. If the person isn’t receptive to your message and made it clear. Leave them alone.

Transgressing their boundaries to make a point is wrong. This is a job. Not a pulpit.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is that the law?

If you’re unwilling to accept my refusal to entertain your behavior I’ll complain. Whether the company takes action is another matter.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you.
Again, let's be clear since you cut off most of my reply and I want to make sure I am not being taken out of context.

It is not illegal to tell a co-worker they "need Jesus". Nobody is claiming that. It can, however, be a perfectly legal reason to fire someone. They may opt to just ignore it, or may think that saying something like that will cause issues and let that person go. If it continues to happen, it might rise to the level of being harassment in which case, the company could end up in legal trouble for not doing anything about it. But those sort of cases are highly dependent on the specifics.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Im talking about persecution against Christians in America
There isn't any, and to say so when Christians in other countries are facing real persecution, violence and even death for their faith is an insult to them.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Woah...did we just go from a t-shirt to physical/intimate contact? I don't think that's appropriate in the work place regardless of someone's "orientation." That seems like a strawman example, but yes, I wouldn't accept that at all as an employer.
Well, I don’t find religious preaching any more appropriate than intimate contact in the workplace. I think it’s a fine comparison.
Saying ones co workers need Jesus, on the job, is against the law?
No, but it is completely legal to have a company policy that forbids it.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I don’t find religious preaching any more appropriate than intimate contact in the workplace. I think it’s a fine comparison.

No, but it is completely legal to have a company policy that forbids it.

Do they have that policy?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Im talking about persecution against Christians in America

You think the most religious western country that is 70% christian and has protections against religious discrimination built into it's founding documents is suddenly going to start persecuting it's majority because one man was elected as it's leader? You have a great imagination, I will give you that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There isn't any, and to say so when Christians in other countries are facing real persecution, violence and even death for their faith is an insult to them.
Well you can put me down and tell me my opinion is an insult to others but thats not being very gentle and kind on your part, is it?

I dont follow the media that much. I listen to alot of pastors like Tony Evans, John MacArthur, David Jeremiah, and Mike Minters from the Reston Bible church. I put more value in what they say as leaders then what CNN or Fox says. A few of them have been preparing their listeners for whats coming here in America

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You think the most religious western country that is 70% christian and has protections against religious discrimination built into it's founding documents is suddenly going to start persecuting it's majority because one man was elected as it's leader? You have a great imagination, I will give you that.
Most "Christians" will denounce their faith because they follow the prosperity gospel. So that 70% isnt accurate

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Good. Companies shouldn’t be required to employ bigots.
But they are.

That's the whole point of stacks and stacks of laws that prohibit discrimination in employment. If the employer refuses to hire or chooses to fire on the basis of his own values, the laws generally protect the employee.

Generally speaking and to cite just one example, you cannot discriminate against a Muslim or force him to dress in a way that violates his own religion, but when it's an Evangelical Christian, well, you know.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do they have that policy?
*Shrug*

There may be a specific policy covering it, there may be a more generalized one that they feel covers it, they may have no policy at all. If we assume Starbucks' side of the story is true, then it doesn't matter. They can fire someone for whatever reason they want as long as it doesn't break anti discrimination laws. There's nothing illegal about firing someone for proselytizing at work.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Most "Christians" will denounce their faith because they follow the prosperity gospel. So that 70% isnt accurate

I do not find your claims of knowing the hearts of other Christians credible. The fact remains that the country electing s new president does not suddenly change it into a state that will persecute it's people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Transgressing their boundaries to make a point is wrong. This is a job. Not a pulpit.

She hardly made it a pulpit. She was upset and spoke onecomment directly from the heart, without concern for what others thought.

Not something l would even consider holding against her, nor do I think Christ would, but it's quite possible he'd be pleased.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The fact remains that the country electing s new president does not suddenly change it into a state that will persecute it's people.

Not automatically, no. However, when most of the forces that were behind the winning candidate have made their demands and intentions as clear as these have, it is a different matter.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
She hardly made it a pulpit. She was upset and spoke onecomment directly from the heart, without concern for what others thought.

Not something l would even consider holding against her, nor do I think Christ would., but it's quote possible he'd be pleased.

Then she should be employed by you or Christ because Starbucks does have a problem with it.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Not automatically, no. However, when most of the forces that were behind the winning candidate have made their demands and intentions as clear as these have, it is a different matter.

Oh, do tell? What are my intentions Albion? I'm part of that force so what is it I have made clear?

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not find your claims of knowing the hearts of other Christians credible. The fact remains that the country electing s new president does not suddenly change it into a state that will persecute it's people.
I see the evangelicals that followed Trump get much criticism on here. I dont know whats in their hearts but they seemed to be following more of a porsperity gospel the way they overlooked many of Trumps actions

And of course one man (Biden) wont be solely responsible for when Christians are persecuted in America. This goes back a long time ago

Romans Chapter 1, Verses 18-32
18 But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 19They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. 20For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.
21Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. 22Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. 23And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.
24So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. 25They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. 26That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. 27And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.
28Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done. 29Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. 30They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. 31They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy. 32They know God’s justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.