Fine, then send your own kids to die

F

foxy2

"'I maintained throughout the release of these prison photos, perspective was what was needed,' Rush Limbaugh declared on his radio program.

'They're the ones who are sick,' he added. 'They're the ones who are perverted. They are the ones who are dangerous. They are the ones who are subhuman. They are the ones who are human debris, not the United States of America and not our soldiers and not our prison guards.'

John Gibson, an anchor on the Fox News Channel, echoed that view. 'Where is the outrage?' he said Tuesday after the decapitation video was made public on an Islamic Web site. 'The same people screaming about American abuses at Abu Ghraib are now conspicuously silent about this outrage directed against an American.'" - NYT
What a bunch of jerks. First Limbaugh. What is this, Stalinist Russia? We are the United State of America, therefore per se we can do no wrong. Right, one of our soldiers sodomizing an Iraqi with a glow stick - that counts as human debris in my book, perhaps to Rush that's just a lucky Saturday night. As for John Gibson, what is he even talking about? Right, John, no one was repulsed by the beheading of a 26 year old, no, not at all. That's why it's been all over the new for the past 24 hours.

What FOX News and Rush Limbaugh fail to realize is that it's not news when a terrorist acts like a terrorist, or at least it's not exactly eye-opening (though in the case of the beheading, it's been the top story all day). But what is news, and what is shocking, and what is especially troubling isn't when we discover that a terrorist is actually evil. Rather, what's really troubling is when we discover that we possess the same capacity for evil in our hearts, and that in some ways, on same days, some of us can be just as bad as some of them. That shocks me and saddens me, and I'm no family-values conservative.

While it shouldn't surprise me, because I know they're all hypocrites, it still bothers me that when push comes to the shove, the people who talk about values and morality the most are the people who often have the least respect for either.

Reactions: reverend B

Blessed75

Jun 24, 2003
✟5,134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
foxy2 said:
While it shouldn't surprise me, because I know they're all hypocrites, it still bothers me that when push comes to the shove, the people who talk about values and morality the most are the people who often have the least respect for either.
Annnnddddd................you hit the nail on the head with that one - ;)

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I pride the normal person to be able to look beyond titles of right or left, conserative or liberal, to be able to see things as they really are. Extremists in the media (Limbaugh, Coulter, Franken) are like cartoons, ruining the positions of topics they stand for in their blind belief that they are correct.

Upvote 0

opus_dei

Ecce Panis Angelorum
Feb 25, 2004
✟15,653.00
Faith
Catholic
so lefties, what's your solution, then? you've been very consistent talking about all the "wrong" things that conservatives do. frankly, in some instances it really isn't that hard. but what's the solution? the problem with the disorganized left these days is that when pressed their solution is "well, not what is currently happening." that's not a terribly concrete idea.

so instead of yet another thread that bashes everything conservative, offer up a workable idea that isn't simply a statement like: we need more UN involvement. well, super.

Upvote 0

Blessed75

Jun 24, 2003
✟5,134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Kelly - sit down - you're not gonna believe this - I so agree with you here. ;)
Kelly said:
I pride the normal person to be able to look beyond titles of right or left, conserative or liberal, to be able to see things as they really are. Extremists in the media (Limbaugh, Coulter, Franken) are like cartoons, ruining the positions of topics they stand for in their blind belief that they are correct.

Upvote 0

Existential1

Jan 2, 2004
Caputh, Perthshire
✟2,128.00
Faith
This stuff has to be challenged, especially as it moves up the communication food chain.

What we tolerate on CF, simply as the views of another: when it hits an amplifier in commercial media; becomes fundamentally dangerous, inhumane, and criminal.

It seems like were all being drawn to various front lines, in this time of crisis: we just have to ensure that we have enough integrity in place; to contervail this intolerance as it emerges.

Someone on CF has signature, that evil flourishes when the good remain silent.
Such silence is becoming less and less of a viable option.

so lefties, what's your solution, then? you've been very consistent talking about all the "wrong" things that conservatives do. frankly, in some instances it really isn't that hard. but what's the solution? the problem with the disorganized left these days is that when pressed their solution is "well, not what is currently happening." that's not a terribly concrete idea.

so instead of yet another thread that bashes everything conservative, offer up a workable idea that isn't simply a statement like: we need more UN involvement. well, super.

This is a parody, a strawman, a bogeyman and outsider story: if there are such "lefties", I haven't seen any evidence of them on CF; if you read through the posts of those who see themselves as not conservative, there is a wide variety and diversity of concrete suggestions as to what we might do for the best.
What you say is just a conceptual strategy, a word device, in putting down unspecified other people: and is some younger sibling of what is criticised in this thread; it raises no substantive issues, makes no substantive suggestions about issues.

Upvote 0

Elyse

Newbie Doobie Doo
May 1, 2004
✟224.00
Faith
Christian
Kelly said:
I agree. But there is a big market for extremists in the media, among the extremists in the public.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What a bunch of jerks.

I'd contend that they're a bunch of idiots, actually. It's goofy to demand outrage from war-opponents for something that everyone knew was coming, or should have known - hence the 'idiot' part.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

opus_dei

Ecce Panis Angelorum
Feb 25, 2004
✟15,653.00
Faith
Catholic
Existential1 said:
This is a parody, a strawman, a bogeyman and outsider story: if there are such "lefties", I haven't seen any evidence of them on CF; if you read through the posts of those who see themselves as not conservative, there is a wide variety and diversity of concrete suggestions as to what we might do for the best.
What you say is just a conceptual strategy, a word device, in putting down unspecified other people: and is some younger sibling of what is criticised in this thread; it raises no substantive issues, makes no substantive suggestions about issues.
perhaps i was painting with an exceedingly broad brush, but strawman this is certainly not (talk about an over-used term around here). frankly, i have been guilty of the same thing. eventually the the opinion of what is "wrong" make take a backseat to "how to we make it better." i was not making a suggestion about issues, per se, merely a suggestion about an area of content that is lacking.

Upvote 0
F

foxy2

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Existential1 again.

Existential1 said:
This stuff has to be challenged, especially as it moves up the communication food chain.

What we tolerate on CF, simply as the views of another: when it hits an amplifier in commercial media; becomes fundamentally dangerous, inhumane, and criminal.

It seems like were all being drawn to various front lines, in this time of crisis: we just have to ensure that we have enough integrity in place; to contervail this intolerance as it emerges.

Upvote 0

Existential1

Jan 2, 2004
Caputh, Perthshire
✟2,128.00
Faith
opus_dei said:
perhaps i was painting with an exceedingly broad brush, but strawman this is certainly not (talk about an over-used term around here). frankly, i have been guilty of the same thing. eventually the the opinion of what is "wrong" make take a backseat to "how to we make it better." i was not making a suggestion about issues, per se, merely a suggestion about an area of content that is lacking.

Acknowledged.

Broad brush painting allows us useful freedom to express and grow.

Upvote 0

Echoes Peak

Willing Servant
Nov 4, 2003
✟8,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Elyse said:
I agree. But there is a big market for extremists in the media, among the extremists in the public.
They are way more interesting then "moderates". Moderates, in comparison, sound like they have no course of action and wishy-washy. Extremists in both combats sound like they're ready to take arms for their causes right that minutes. Besides, no one wants to sit around and hear how a problem was solve in diplomatic, quiet manner. It's boring politics and boring television.:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Existential1

Jan 2, 2004
Caputh, Perthshire
✟2,128.00
Faith
Echoes Peak said:
They are way more interesting then "moderates". Moderates, in comparison, sound like they no course of action and wishy-washy. Extremists in both combats sound like they're ready to take arms for their causes right that minutes. Besides, no one wants to sit around and hear how a problem was solve in diplomatic, quiet manner. It's boring politics and boring television.:D

So, moderation needs a makeover.
Moderation is also the most muscular, the bravest, the most enduring: its a presentation problem; where we can get some cheap shot publicity, by learning how to wipe the hearts and minds floor, with these guys.
I think its called witnessing for Jesus: and it just needs the right wheels and differentials for that particular terrain; and maybe that's what we're a practising in CF.
Street and Studio Witnessing: Jesus Academy, one, two, and three.

Upvote 0

steelmagnolia

Apr 20, 2004
South Eastern Coast
Visit site
✟16,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
opus_dei said:

I was JUST saying this yesterday! ;)
Amazing...

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Existential1 said:

That would be me, as my sig below will attest. :) Those words have never been more true than they are today.

Upvote 0