• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Finding welcoming progressive congregations

Discussion in 'Whosoever Will, May Come - Liberal' started by RickardoHolmes, Aug 14, 2019.

1. RickardoHolmes

RickardoHolmes Member

+129
    Christian
    Married
    Greetings everyone

I was reading an online article, which I cannot find, probably from a Bishop Spong acolyte anyway the question was posed about avoiding church vs finding the right one, something i long ago abandoned
    The writer suggested that the person Google the name of their town and "Progressive congregations or progressive churches and see what they find

So I tried this and found non denominational churches with the exception of the one Episcopal church where we spend advent and an occasional Wednesday noon Mass. From ex experience it is progressive in TEACHING but not someplace that is a welcoming community.

So I came across a few....threw out the megachurch for personal reasons....found 2 progressive Baptist churches, not sure if Caucasians are welcome, and 3 non denominational places, one which caters to nontraditional people, saying that Jesus is perfect but people and congregations are not. That is a far cry from the number of times I have heard from various churches that they themselves were perfect while others were not. Anyway, I do not like contemporary services, but the idea of finding people who are OPEN to friendship and acceptance is intriguing.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+5,228
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    My wife and I when to over a dozen churches before settling in.

3. MasterYourLife

MasterYourLife Member

+124
    Canada
    Christian
    Divorced
    What do you mean by progressive?
    Accepting to sin? Allowing willful sinning pastors?

4. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+2,043
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Finding a church that's progressive in its teachings and values can usually be done by looking for clues on their web site -- do they have female clergy or lay leaders, do they mention ministry to the poor, etc. (I can suggest some things to look for, if you don't already have your own list.) Finding a church that's warm and friendly in person is harder; it usually requires visiting the church in person, maybe for a few weeks in a row, and meeting the people. It might take a few weeks or months of visiting multiple churches to find one that truly welcomes you in person.

[ Note to those reading this conversation: You are in the WWMC forum. All are welcome to post in fellowship, but please do not equate progressive values with sin in this forum. ]

5. GACfan

GACfan New Member

+21
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Well said.

I would include other social justice issues to the list as well. I think the overall attitude of the church congregation toward marginalized groups (LGBT, Muslims, minorities) is also an important factor.

6. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats God Seeker

+566
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    You don't have to be black to feel welcome at a Baptist church. Where do you live?

Why don't you like contemporary services? I love them because I can't sing the wrong stanzas during the worship portion like I did with a hymn book.