Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How about these Disney flicks for Christian symbolism?

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Sleeping Beauty

Pinocchio

In the first, Snow White - symbol of the Church as the Bride of Christ - is resurrected from her glass coffin by the kiss of the Prince (Christ).

In the second, "Briar Rose" (the rose is the symbol of the Blessed Virgin, who is a type of the Church) has pricked her finger on an enchanted spinning wheel and fallen into a deathlike slumber. The Prince (Christ) must fight a dragon and hack his way through a forest of thorns (symbolizing the crown of thorns?) to rescue his bride and resurrect her with "love's first kiss."

In Pinocchio a wooden boy wants to become the real son of his father but cannot stay out of trouble. His sins almost turn him into a complete jackass, and he too is swallowed by a whale, like Jonah.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In Russia Pinocchio is know as Burotino (pronounced BOO - rah - tee - nah).

Puppet shows, plays, and at least one film of the story have been produced.

At the start of the show the narrator always asks the audience:

"Kak tebia zavut?" (What's your name?)

The kids all shout the answer at the top of their lungs:

BOO - RAH - TEE - NAH!
^_^

Upvote 0

Raphael

May 30, 2002
Visit site
✟341.00
Faith
Catholic
the older i get, the more secure in my childhood i become.

i remember when i was a wee lad being into transformers. then one day, i asked my friends, "hey, did you like last night's episode of transformers?"

they laughed and said, "transformers? that's so lame. it's all about G.I. Joe now."

and there ended my transformers era...

now i am looking for the first season of transformers on DVD and could care less what anyone else says. :D

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Cat59 said:
I won the battle this time so I got to see it. Loved it, especially the ending!What am I going to do when he doesn't want to see things like this anymore!!
:sigh: He's growing too quickly
I'm going to buy it this weekend. We just got a dvd player, so I am excited. The first two dvds that I bought were 'spirit' and 'all dogs go to heaven'. I want to get Shreck on dvd, too. I don't think I'll ever grow out watching kids shows.

Michelle

Upvote 0

Angelus00

Aug 29, 2002
na
Visit site
✟15,685.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Miss Shelby said:
I'm going to buy it this weekend. We just got a dvd player, so I am excited. The first two dvds that I bought were 'spirit' and 'all dogs go to heaven'. I want to get Shreck on dvd, too. I don't think I'll ever grow out watching kids shows.

Michelle
ROFL Me either! I'm replacing all my children's VHS with DVDs and I spend a lot of time on the weekends watching them with my little one. His favs right know are "Nemo" :), "The Emperor's New Groove" (uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh) and on the more "strange" side - "MIIB" and "Monkeybones."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angelus00

Aug 29, 2002
na
Visit site
✟15,685.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Avila said:
I liked Nemo, too!! Only, I thought the seagulls were saying "Mike, mike, mike, mike" :o Especially since that was the pelican's name.
LOL either way, my 2 year old goes around sayin it. It's just toooooooo funny :D :D

Upvote 0

IrishJohan

Nov 16, 2003
Virginia
Visit site
✟2,911.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was dragged into seeing this movie by my sister and her 6-year old son. I must say though that instead of being just a soppy movie for kids, it was very enjoyable. Despite Ellen DeGeneris' personal failings people may take issue with, her character stole the movie in my view. She was hilarious. Good flick to see with the kids.

Pax Christi,
John

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Back on the subject of the Christian symbolism in Finding Nemo, here is something from St. Thomas Aquinas on the pelican as a symbol of Christ's sacrificial death:

Pie pellicane, Jesu Domine
Me immundum munda tuo sanguine
Cujus una stilla salvum facere
Totum mundum quit ab omni scelere.

It was brought to my attention by a friend on another forum who goes by the screen name "LatinTrad."

In English it is:

Merciful Pelican, Lord Jesus
Cleanse me, the unclean one, with Thy blood
Of which one drop would suffice
To save the world entirely from wickedness.

It is a reference to the belief that, in the absence of other food, a mother pelican will pierce her breast to feed her young with her own blood.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.