• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Finding a Therapist

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, it's me again.

I'm at my wit's end, or close to it. Every week it seems, I have a new obsession. I can't enjoy my weekends, I feel like I'm always anxious or waiting for something to make me anxious.

I'm starting to think I want to see a therapist. But there's barriers in my way:
1) the pandemic: I don't think anyone in my area is having face to face visits, and I don't have a private place to do video chat. Also finding a Christian therapist.
2) my future: I've dreamed for the past few years of going into the air force, of travelling with them and serving my country. It's a big adventure that I'm dying to go on. But therapy for OCD would shoot that dream down. I feel as though I can function without therapy, but I'm also just not enjoying dealing with this at all.
3) my family: as I still live with my parents, it's likely going to make things difficult. I feel like their response is going to be something along the lines of "trust God more." Which I know I need to do. And that leads me to my next point.
4) me: I feel like therapy, for me personally and my own situation, that I'd be taking the easy way out. Therapy can and is beneficial to other people, and if you're reading this questioning whether you should go to therapy, do your own self reflection. But for me, I feel like I'd be cutting corners with God, so to speak.

But I'm feeling kind of miserable right now, and I just want to relax and stop over thinking and be happier. The bible says not to worry, but that's all I ever seem to do.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟935,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
2). Participating in therapy should have little bearing on your serving in the military. I am a therapist in practice for over 30 years. Never once have I had any record request from the military to exclude someone from serving. However, I have been visited by military staff researching giving a security clearance for one of my former clients. The clearance was obtained and she ended up with her finger on "the button" - the button of a cruise missile. FYI military branches have their own social workers, psychologists, and psychiatrists.

Upvote 0

Grace1234

Oct 22, 2019
Bangkok
✟14,751.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hey, it's me again.

I'm at my wit's end, or close to it. Every week it seems, I have a new obsession. I can't enjoy my weekends, I feel like I'm always anxious or waiting for something to make me anxious.

I'm starting to think I want to see a therapist. But there's barriers in my way:
1) the pandemic: I don't think anyone in my area is having face to face visits, and I don't have a private place to do video chat. Also finding a Christian therapist.
2) my future: I've dreamed for the past few years of going into the air force, of travelling with them and serving my country. It's a big adventure that I'm dying to go on. But therapy for OCD would shoot that dream down. I feel as though I can function without therapy, but I'm also just not enjoying dealing with this at all.
3) my family: as I still live with my parents, it's likely going to make things difficult. I feel like their response is going to be something along the lines of "trust God more." Which I know I need to do. And that leads me to my next point.
4) me: I feel like therapy, for me personally and my own situation, that I'd be taking the easy way out. Therapy can and is beneficial to other people, and if you're reading this questioning whether you should go to therapy, do your own self reflection. But for me, I feel like I'd be cutting corners with God, so to speak.

But I'm feeling kind of miserable right now, and I just want to relax and stop over thinking and be happier. The bible says not to worry, but that's all I ever seem to do.
I recommend you to watch Ali greymond on youtube. I don't know if she is christian or not, but you can applied it to your situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Try the international odd foundations 25 tips for dealing with ocd

Upvote 0

J0A0

May 12, 2020
Benbrook
✟18,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I’m seeing a Christian counselor right now. Their practice is deemed essential, so I doubt any in your area are closed. Also, you can’t cut corners in your pursuit of God. The Bible tells us that we should speak to other believers and to encourage each other. Fellowship is essential in the life of a Christian; I learned that lesson not too long ago. And if you do end up seeing a therapist, remember to be honest; they cannot help you if you aren’t honest with them. I hope this helped.

Upvote 0

pink318

Mar 23, 2018
Riverside
✟13,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, it's me again.

Hello- Welcome to the group! Thank you for sharing.

If you think you need help with professional counselling, please do so. Tell the therapists all concerns so he/she can better help you. You can also try to call your Pastor or any leaders in your church. They can help you with spiritual advice.

The Bible says that we belong to a family of believers after we accepted Jesus as our Savior and Lord. Don’t go through your situation alone.Try to reach out to them or speak with someone you can trust. Most of the churches now are worshiping online, bible studies and life groups are all going on by using technology. Try to attend one of the meetings and it will help you to feel less lonely and not alone. I pray that all will be well with you. Please keep us posted.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟142,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, it's me again.

My thoughts:
1. You can do teletherapy or online therapy - for example, with people like Dr. Ian Osborn (ocdandchristianity.com).
2. You can learn to do therapy on your own, but if you need a therapist, by all means, go for it. Whatever works for you - but whatever you choose to do, work on your OCD!! Your life is too important to waste it obsessing. Either with a therapist or without, it's going to take hard work, but it's worth it!
3. Trusting God or not has nothing to do with going to therapy. If you need help physically, you get it. The same goes for mental issues. In fact, I'd say that doing therapy requires you to practice trusting God MORE, because it means you're relying on your compulsions less. Dr. Osborn explains very well how working on OCD and trusting God go hand in hand. Check out his blog posts! (BTW, I'm not trying to promote him even though it sounds like it LOL. I've never taken therapy with him, I just really like his website. :D)

Incidentally, I just found this website, which talks about getting therapy and gives some links to sites where you can search for therapists: Overcome OCD: Recovery tips for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Upvote 0