Female "pastors"

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
hippiechild said:

Okay, I'm just trying to get this straight now. Are you saying that even if a woman feels she is called into pastoring and leading, it's not actually God telling her this but its all in her head/heart? That God wouldn't call a woman to such a role because she is a woman and any feelings otherwise are solely feelings and not God? Is that what you're saying? :o

So are you contending that God's call is based upon feeling? Emotions are so unreliable. Either Scripture is authoritative or not. If a person puts their personal "feelings" above Scriptural teaching then I can be pretty confident that the person is not being called to be in the pulpit.

Upvote 0

Trigger

Jun 8, 2006
✟7,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
mrconstance said:
Isn't this a place where it would make sense to remember the advice of Acts 5:38 (taken slightly out of context):
Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail.

Haha. You are absolutely correct. I wash my hands of this thread.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,991.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Colabomb said:
It may sound cold to you, but that is exactly what I am saying.

Wonderful - if a man hears God calling him to the ordained ministry he is accepted almost without question. If a woman hears God calling her to ordained ministry, she is deluded! It's probably just as well I'l l never come to you for pastoral counsel.

What would Jesus do? He valued and restored women, you insult them.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Strong in Him said:
Wonderful - if a man hears God calling him to the ordained ministry he is accepted almost without question. If a woman hears God calling her to ordained ministry, she is deluded! It's probably just as well I'l l never come to you for pastoral counsel.

What would Jesus do? He valued and restored women, you insult them.
Ma'am with All respect, have you never heard of the discernment Process?

You honestly believe I could go up to a bishop and get ordained in a week because I am a male?

It seems you are grasping at straws.

You may feel insulted, but it is not my intention.

I will say that I would rather insult and be faithful to Christ, than to Please men and be a dishonerable servant.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Strong in Him said:
Fine, but the UK Methodist church, to which I belong, has obviously at some point carefully considered, and studied, the whole matter of women preachers and ministers and decided that there is no reason not to allow them. You may think they are wrong and do not accept their conclusions or their authority - you don't have to, you're not a member of that church. I am and I do. Like I said before, we choose a church depending on our interpretation of Scripture.

It still leaves the question; if God knows he has not called women to preach, why is he allowing them to do so? Why are women, from many countries and cultures, preaching the word, serving as ministers and God is allowing them to? Is he incapable of raising up men to do this task, has he slipped up in giving women these gifts, or is he actually saying "well this isn't my perfect will, but if the men aren't going to listen to my voice and obey my call, they'll have to put up with it"?
If so, I will repeat a challenge I issued on here several months ago; pray that the Lord will raise up thousands of men to preach, tell him that now there are so many he doesn't need women any more, and see what he says.
Why do men sin?

Why does mankind rebel? Why does mankind Lie?

Why do some perverse priests hurt Children?

Just because God allows something does not mean He approves of it.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Strong in Him said:
Fine again, but, with respect, I'm not asking you to verify my call. I'm telling you that, as a servant and child of God, I have received one from my Father and it is being recognised by those with who I worship, some of whom are in authority over me.

The church recognised Paul's call to take the Gospel to the gentiles - even though no doubt some of them were pointing out that the Scriptures said they were God's chosen ones. Paul did, and the church grew.
Why do you appeal to one of Paul's teachings, yet ignore another?

Upvote 0

Gal328

Mar 10, 2006
NY
✟676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Augustine_Was_Calvinist said:
Well then, why not go ahead and compromise the Deity of Christ too.

And while we are at it, compromise the Trinity, the Resurrection of Christ, the Atonement of Christ and compromise that all only through faith in Christ can entrance into the Kingdom of God be attained.

After all the cultural mantra just like "women and men are the same", is "all roads and religions lead to heaven".

Right?

.....well.

1. show me in the bible that woman can not be pastors at all.

2. In a sense we are all the same even though a woman has to answer to her husband, Gal 3:28.

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have difficulty accepting female pastors in a church only because Christ is male and He is the head of the church. He also says in His word that wives are to submit to their husbands just as the chruch is to submit to Christ. However, I also know that if He calls a woman to preach, then who am I to stand in the way or say otherwise?

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a baptist girl in a cat suit. :D

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gal328 said:
.....well.

1. show me in the bible that woman can not be pastors at all.

2. In a sense we are all the same even though a woman has to answer to her husband, Gal 3:28.
Actually, even if that were the only difference, that there proves that men and women are different.

Upvote 0

hippiechild

Jun 12, 2006
✟15,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
jtbdad said:
So are you contending that God's call is based upon feeling? Emotions are so unreliable. Either Scripture is authoritative or not. If a person puts their personal "feelings" above Scriptural teaching then I can be pretty confident that the person is not being called to be in the pulpit.

No, I'm not. I'm asking if the guy I was quoting if he actually thinks that women are never called to be pastors, but only feel that way. Feelings can be shallow; God is not a simple feeling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
(1Ti 2:11-15)

Upvote 0

hippiechild

Jun 12, 2006
✟15,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Colabomb said:
You also seem to see ministry as a "Right". No one has a "Right" to the ministry, including men. God calls who He will. And that Calling is as much a Burden as anything else.

No, I don't seem ministry as a right. If anything I can see it as a gift, but if it isn't a right and "God calls who He will" then why can't He call a woman? Is it so unfathomable that a woman might truly be called by God to the ministry?

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
hippiechild said:

Okay, I'm just trying to get this straight now. Are you saying that even if a woman feels she is called into pastoring and leading, it's not actually God telling her this but its all in her head/heart? That God wouldn't call a woman to such a role because she is a woman and any feelings otherwise are solely feelings and not God? Is that what you're saying? :o

As a woman who has considered the pastorate - I would say yes, those are a woman's feelings and not God calling.

Scripture is clear that the office of pastor is reserved for men. God wouldn't call a woman to that office because He doesn't ordain women for that office.

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
edb19 said:
As a woman who has considered the pastorate - I would say yes, those are a woman's feelings and not God calling.

Scripture is clear that the office of pastor is reserved for men. God wouldn't call a woman to that office because He doesn't ordain women for that office.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hippiechild said:

No, I don't seem ministry as a right. If anything I can see it as a gift, but if it isn't a right and "God calls who He will" then why can't He call a woman? Is it so unfathomable that a woman might truly be called by God to the ministry?
Because His Scriptures say that Women are not to be Priests, therefore, God, who Inspired the Scriptures will not break His own Rule.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
edb19 said:

Isn't possible that she is being called to pastor other women? When I used to go to a non-denom church, we had a "women's pastor". SHe led the women's ministry, women's bible studies and Sundays school classes, counseled individual women by appointment. I'm not very familar with Protestant churches. Is this not a common position? Would this techniquely not be a pastor?

kamikat

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
kamikat said:
Isn't possible that she is being called to pastor other women? When I used to go to a non-denom church, we had a "women's pastor". SHe led the women's ministry, women's bible studies and Sundays school classes, counseled individual women by appointment. I'm not very familar with Protestant churches. Is this not a common position? Would this techniquely not be a pastor?

kamikat
There are indeed ministries for women in the Church. However there are none in which they have authority over men.

Deaconesses are an ancient tradition, that is being revived in many Churches.

Upvote 0

hippiechild

Jun 12, 2006
✟15,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hate to say this, but I imagine that would be acceptable..it's a woman at the head of church God does not call apparently...or is that wrong too? Surely you guys can see a woman leading women's studies...

Also, let's say a straight married woman were head of church. Do those of you who think that she wasn't ordaned by God to be pastor...that she would go to hell for following her "feelings" and not the calling of God upon her life?

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hippiechild said:
Hate to say this, but I imagine that would be acceptable..it's a woman at the head of church God does not call apparently...or is that wrong too? Surely you guys can see a woman leading women's studies...

Of course that would be fine. We do not claim there is no ministry for Women. Indeed, many ministries such as Deaconess need revived.

The only prohibition is that women cannot be in authority over men.

Also, let's say a straight married woman were head of church. Do those of you who think that she wasn't ordaned by God to be pastor...that she would go to hell for following her "feelings" and not the calling of God upon her life?

No, I do not think a woman serving in a place she should not is a damnable offense, unless she knows it is wrong and refuses to repent.

Upvote 0

Anij

Feb 12, 2006
✟15,221.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Colabomb said:
It may sound cold to you, but that is exactly what I am saying.
I'm sorry you feel that way , and truly hope and pray in time that you will open your heart enough to see the truth.

God Calls people, individuals - and feeling called, and knowing you are being called is something beyond explaination. It's not something that is made up in ones head ( if that were the case IMHO it would be equally so for men, since it's just as easy to say that men "make up" being called ~ which I don't believe is the case for a minute).

I do pray in time you'll be able to step back and see this with new eyes ...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.