Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since a number of us have thought of making a sticky thread for welcomes and just plain fellowship, I thought I'd start a thread to discuss its name, since a number of the other denominational boards have done similar things.

Here are the names that I've heard of so far. Lets just pool in some names for about one week's time and then, start a poll and we can select via popular vote which will be the official title!:

The Cranmer's Arms
Fun, Food, and Fellowship

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
PaladinValer said:
The Cranmer's Arms
Fun, Food, and Fellowship

I like the pub-esque sound of the former option. The latter option sounds trite. But alas, I find I cannot think of Cranmer's Arms without thinking of Cranmer's Hand, and it puts me off my beer.

(Wracking my brain for a pub title with no macabre visual associations, and coming up empty...)

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
PaladinValer said:
I personally don't drink alcohol...
Is anybody else familiar with the slang of calling coffee-after-the-service The Eighth Sacrament? If the nomenclature turns out not to be a local obscurus, that might be an option.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The last rubric in the Prayer Book service: Then followeth the Coffee-Hour. ;)

Seriously, although most of us are in communion with Canterbury, there are a few that are not, and it struck me that something that goes back to Anglican roots rather than a reference that could serve to divide was a good idea -- hence the Cranmer reference.

And I like "The Eighth Sacrament" -- so long as the OP makes clear it's tongue-in-cheek (so we don't end up offending someone by accident!).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
pmcleanj said:
Is anybody else familiar with the slang of calling coffee-after-the-service The Eighth Sacrament? If the nomenclature turns out not to be a local obscurus, that might be an option.
I actually really like this idea...

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
chalice_thunder said:
I like it too - 8th Sacrament...has a ring.

I agree. Polycarp makes a good point, but i don't think it should be too much of problem provided, as he says, a brief mention is made in the OP.

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
jhollas said:
Eighth Sacrament...
Yeah, it's got my vote! But like someone mentioned, make it clear that it's tongue-in-cheek, otherwise I suspect some people will jump up and down, and make a lot of noise about it.

Of course, if they DO jump up and down, we can use this an a golden opportunity for hospitality and evangelism. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.