• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Fellowship vs quiet time

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by frater_domus, Aug 28, 2018.

1. AnnaDeborah

AnnaDeborah Well-Known Member

+678
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I don't think it will be the last time you will encounter disagreement, sadly - it is so easy for us to convince ourselves that our way is the right way! All you can do in cases of disagreement is to ensure your own heart is right before the Lord. Because we each will have to answer for our own actions not those of others.

2. Bible Highlighter

Bible Highlighter Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Supporter

+5,150
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I meet up with a brother every couple of months, but I actually desire more regular fellowship, but have had trouble finding like minded believers. I am even looking to just love at this point, and not pick apart people's odd beliefs in the Bible. But I know in time, it will lead to me telling them the truth with them not wanting to hear it. For the truth of God's Word is important to me. I started a Meetup group for those wanting to follow after Jesus (i.e. to live holy). Most do not seem to really desire that. Most also do not want to meet up outside of church. At least that is my experience so far. You could say that I am disheartened by not finding similar like minded believers like myself. I see them online (YouTube, or from an article), but not in person. I keep praying for God to bring like minded believers into my life that both my wife and I can really agree with.

As for daily felllowship: I just do not see that where I live, either. My time is spent in the Word of God, and prayer. I do converse with Christians online here at CF, but it is not the same as having fellowship in person.

Side Note:

I also do not agree with attending at a church building (among believers and unbelievers in worship), for I do not consider it to be biblical way of gathering. Even when I did attend church in the past at different places, I just never found that fellowship. I also have severe ringing in the ears and so music at church is not good on my ears (with it being so loud). Even with ear plugs, my ears can ring even louder because the music is so loud. I recently contacted a home fellowship group. I am going to check it out and see how that goes. I was at a house meet up group once (with it being a special event) in the past (where I used to live) and it was nice. I wish this is how the church met on a regular basis and not in expensive buildings where they put on a rock concert.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  3. Bible Highlighter

Bible Highlighter Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Supporter

+5,150
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    As for quite time: I do like to take moments in prayer with God sometimes and silently pray in the morning. In fact, I am by nature a generally quite person. But when I speak about God's Word, then that's when I become passionate and speak boldly and with the power of God. I sometimes do practice sermons at home by way of video. But I have not released any on YouTube yet. I am a perfectionist, so I would like for my videos to be a little more professional looking.

4. Tropical Wilds

Tropical Wilds Lord, beer me strength...

+1,276
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes. Stop over thinking it.

5. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Radically Saved

+482
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Maybe just check with them and I bet other members only come on certain days.

As far as how you are feeling....cast those thoughts down. They are not of God nor fitting but are a performance based thought which is under the old law and one of satans big attacks.

Relax and Enjoy your Salvation
    Blessings

6. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Radically Saved

+482
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Again......Relax and enjoy your salvation.
    Trust God and lose the rule mentality.
    All this rule stuff and performance stuff is meant to bring strife into your life.

Relax and go fellowship and trust that if the Father wants anything different He is more then able to let you know.
    Blessings

7. marineimaging

marineimaging Texas Baptist with attitude

+1,113
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Take it one day at a time with sweet Jesus, one day at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+2,860
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    You are not living in the time or the culture of the Early Church, the Church of Acts. What is described of the functioning of the Church in Acts and elsewhere in the New Testament is not necessarily prescriptive. In other words, we aren't obliged to live exactly as the New Testament believers did. Some Christians, though, falling prey to the Is-Ought Fallacy, tend to confuse description in the Bible with prescription and try to recreate today what went on among the first believers. Some of what happened among them is worth emulating, but not all. Certainly, behaviours of the first Christians clearly tied to the time and culture of the New Testament are not binding, I think upon believers today. In light of this, what is the rationale, then, for such a schedule of fellowship? And do you think in your newfound concern for greater interaction with the community of believers that you might swing unnecessarily far toward the opposite extreme - a sort of near-cultish over-participation in this group you've found? It seems to me it would at least be prudent to wait a bit and get a thorough sense of what this group is truly like before committing yourself too much to its activities.

God calls us to love what He loves, and He loves you and I and He certainly loves the Bride of Christ, the Church. We can do no less. But our love for what God loves ought to arise as a natural consequence of our love for Him. Obeying the First and Great Commandment always inevitably results in obedience to the Second Great Commandment. Always. If you want to engage with the Church in a healthy way, then, I would urge you first to obey fully the First and Great Commandment. Don't let guilt, or shame, or any other motive than love provoke you into the fellowship of believers.

Hanging out with friends to play board games and such ought not to happen at the expense of fellowship with believers, but there is no biblical mandate that I know of that requires such participation in the Church that you have no time left for anything else. The Church ought to be a priority, yes, but not to a cultish degree.

9. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+571
    Non-Denom
    That's great. The meeting daily I'd say you need to balance out with wisdom and don't feel in bondage that it has to be every day without fail....such would get into legalism.

Well keep in mind when you read from Acts in this passage it doesn't really say what he was to do except Ananias telling him he needed to be filled with the Spirit.

Well to me honestly it sounds like while such fellowship can be good if it becomes like a law over your life beware. I wouldn't let it translate to my consciousness that I've sinned for missing numbers of days. Everyone has differing needs in life. You said you're in university so you're just staring your life more or less or you do need to be more so focused on education to build a career than then say some of us retired folk ....Some people like myself may have more time to follow after more fellowship things then somebody else. If someone tried to make you feel guilty for missing days consider leaving. Such would be the equivalent of putting a yoke on your mind that God never intended you to bear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Lulav

Lulav Everyone will give an account Staff Member Administrator CF Staff Trainer Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,267
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    I have to say that reading through your posts this whole thing sounds off; and your meeting with them confirmed it. I've visited a couple church groups that had really strange ideas and weren't exactly welcoming, or started off welcoming then would ask you to dinner after service and basically grill you about your life, then they would focus on how they could 'set you straight' or make you leave.

I'm not surprised they told you that you were going against the word of God. But did they give you specific scriptures? I would be very skeptical about any of their bible studies, it sounds like they have their own interpretation and it could really lead you astray.

If you have a Baptist church to go to I'd say stick with that and run far from this group. I don't know exactly what they are selling but you shouldn't be in the market for buying it.

11. frater_domus

frater_domus Faith is all that matters. Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+532
    Germany
    Christian
    Single
    I did meet with a church elder. Cool guy, from Canada of all places :D
    Well, he made two very good points. One is that this group voted with their feet. They are not part of any church and choose not to support it and the ministries of it, and they operate in relative isolation by having such frequent and long meetings as opposed to being the light and spreading the gospel.
    The second one was a question of whether I felt the spirit of love in their action. While I do not know them well enough, I did not feel as welcomed and accepted as at my local church.
    We ultimately arrived at the conclusion that if it works for them then God bless, but it is certainly not the kind of worship that is for me and I shouldn't feel bad about it. While I knew this before, the talk was helpful in putting it all into perspective :)

Well, guess it is time to review the lessons learned and shake the dust of my feet and move on. Thanks, everyone, for the input.

/thread

12. continueinfaith

continueinfaith New Member

+25
    Christian
    Single
    Oh my goodness, this is so similar to how I'm feeling with my current church right now! They are adding so many new services and activities and implying that they're all mandatory, and it's stressing me out SO much! My job and other obligations are conflicting with all this new stuff and I'm under so much pressure! I wish I had some advice for you, but it helps me a little knowing that I'm not alone in this. Hopefully it helps you too knowing that YOU'RE not alone either.

13. LoricaLady

LoricaLady YHWH's Supporter

+5,990
    Messianic
    Private
    Has the Father told you that you have to fellowship with such and such a group every day? Does the Bible say that? You have a heart to do the right thing, and that is great. But don't go on a guilt trip.

Heck, once a week with a good fellowship group is great. if they stop being so good, like maybe with different members or a less Biblical direction, it is just fine to go elsewhere too.

On the other hand, quiet time with the Father is even more important. In that time, as you draw closer and close to Him, He will more and more guide you in all other areas.