Fellow Web Developers

SlowRoasted

Aug 29, 2003
Macon, Georgia
✟16,436.00
Faith
Christian
Im a web developer, my major right now is a build your own major type program and im doing web design/management. Currently im working on making a site for christian web design and graphical work like photoshop, and 3d programs. Of course im going to put up a forum, im just starting to learn php and database stuff so im going to use my subscription to vbulletin for the forum until i know a bit more and can write my own. Im more of a guru and photoshop and animation than i am at writing the code for the actual site. Ill be getting this site up soon and be putting the link in my signature. The domain is going to be christiandesign.net.

currently im also working on learning flash, though im not doing so hot myself. Gonna buy a book and if thats not enough take a class with one of my professors off camus that will definitely help out.

Upvote 0

e4God

Visiting WebHead
Mar 11, 2002
Citizen of The Heavens
Visit site
✟8,085.00
Faith
Christian
I WAS a hobbyist many years ago. Then I became a professional webmaster, designer, developer, marketing consultant. Now I am a hobbyist again ;)

Started my own web and graphics shop 5 years ago. Wanted to do it exclusively for churches, ministries. But they cannot afford pro rates, and I had a large family to support. So I worked for businesses for many years, as a tentmaking exercise.

I hoped to make a living making sites for businesses, while living out what I thought was my calling helping churches and ministries use the web technology to fulfill the great commission while enhancing internal communication.... God had other plans. The business grew at 100% per year for several years, but DOTBOMB hit hard, several key clients eventually defaulted, refused to pay due to recession or whatever. Some went under, etc.

I finally had to face facts about a month ago. My finances are wrecked. I maintain a blog portal and forum site, as a personal ministry, running my own dedicated server...
I still have a passion about the web and believe the technology will bounce back with the next economic cycle. It's a great field for young people, but not middle aged marketing types with kids in college....

Know what I mean ?

The days of making $100 an hour for design and development are over.

However, this technology is here to stay and will continue to change our lives in ways we can hardly guess at present....

I am passionate about the web and what it could do if only somebody would fix the spam and virus problems...... Can I get an amen ?

Upvote 0

WeakButHopeful

Oct 25, 2003
East Coast of USA
Visit site
✟8,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Well, I'll give you an "Amen" to your feelings that the Web could be a powerful force for good and to reach people with the Good News and to break down artificial barriers and feelings of distrust. I'm not sure viruses and spams are its worst problems though.

In my experience people have an inordinate, unreasonable love of doing things the way they've always been done. You'll hear people say: "Oh, the Web is full of misinformation." Well, so are newspapers. All forms of communication must be approached with intelligent skepticism. It amazes me that some people will devote endless hours discussing their golf game, but precious little time exploring the Web or Usenet for answers to everyday questions (health, finances, sprituality, time management, travel, etc.) And don't get me started on the educational system. I know, I'm preaching to the choir. It just seems to me that if most people were using the Web to its potential, viruses and spam would just be an annoyance (like traffic jams or junk mail). End of rant.

Upvote 0

PennylessZ28

Knowledge & Humor = Me
Oct 20, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA
✟669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I still manage to pull 100 dollars an hour for web design. Those days aren't over, the truth is the days of indepent small web designers is over. They simply can not compete with larger companies that use a group of people to produce pages, faster and cheaper and far greater scale.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PennylessZ28 said:
:) Thats how I was/am.... I have been a total goof off. Kinda just breezed through schooling and spent a lot of time being a computer geek.

Self-taught on most programing launges and other computer related skills.

Never even seen college. Got lucky with my job, knew a good friend who got me in the door.

I was struggling for awhile becuase they tend to hire people with paper, even if you know more than the guy with the piece of paper. I work with people everyday that have PHD's and other things that say they are smarter than me, and for some reason, I'm answering thier questions and explaining why they see a blue screen.....

:rolleyes:

hehehe :D

LOL, I got my current job by reading a book :)

Was working security, and had a book on VC6 , and a contractor came through and saw me reading, we started talking, and they said come on by. I did, and got the job the next day :)

Went from security guard to IT Department( Im the whole department)

Upvote 0

wonderboy92577

Anglican Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Roswell, NM
✟154.00
Faith
Anglican
Hello! I'm a former Network Engineer and instructor for the University of California. I know a heck of alot about computing and networking, from pulling cable to administering systems, network architecture and security to wireless, databases (MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server 2000) to programming (PHP, ANSI C, JavaScript) and of course markup (HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS)...and I'm really burned out. This is what happens when you close your ear to God's direction. Heheh.

Anyway, if I can help anyone, ever, at all, gimme an email or IM me. :)

Upvote 0

Ormo

Pan loaf
Jan 16, 2004
Belfast, NI
Visit site
✟7,728.00
Faith
Christian
I'm studying Electronic and Software Engineering, on a year placement with Liberty-IT, Belfast.

But as with most of you, and with most of the true computing world, the majority of what I know is self taught.

To be honest, courses generally spend more time on efficient methods of designing and producing software rather than the actual software design and production.

And if anyone out there is interested in webdesign or something related, DON'T do computer science or anything like that, find a course like Multimedia Design or something and do that. The actual computery bit is fairly easy to pick up, on top of it, in media, designers get paid HUGE amounts, implementors get paid psaltry salaries in comparison ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've done Web Design for about 7 years now. Mostly volunteer and intranet stuff.

I've recently begun to market myself, and have been moderately successful. My problem is I have a tendency to re-create the wheel every time and force myself to do 10 times the work I need to do. That slows me down with new projects.

I believe in keeping web pages compliant also.

Upvote 0

Word of Peace

Evangelical Quaker, YEC
Dec 27, 2003
✟9,090.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm a web dev (and a software dev). I started out with plain HTML, then I did ASP, and now ASP.NET. I'm totally sold on ASP.NET - worlds of improvement over ASP, and just what I need!

I make my sites cross-browser for the most part, except for a couple of IE-only features, like client-side XSLT (which I'm using less and less now because I can do it so easily server-side). If a browser doesn't support something, I make the site degrade gracefully.

One thing I have to work on is PDA and text-only support. Does anyone know how I can test PDA website versions without owning a PDA? Also, does anyone know the easiest way for one to test text-only websites on Windows?

I try to keep my sites standards-compliant. XHTML compatibility is a must when working with XSLT - it is enforced.

Upvote 0

tov

Sep 16, 2003
Cape Cod
Visit site
✟304.00
Faith
Christian
One need not spend a fortune on macromedia.
try visiting sites for free learning like
http://www.htmlgoodies.com
http://www.w3schools.com/

forget about all that graphic stuff
Its really about this...
Content Content Content

Spend a few years studying the Bible
Do your own Bible studies and post them.
One after the other. Build a library.
Then add great links to great sites.

Try this one for example
www.millenniafever.org

Upvote 0
I'm actually a "wannabe" webmaster. I've been learning since October of last year. I have my own site, have learned to code in HTML 4.01 (XHTML is next), know some PHP and can do all the basic things that go with web design. I've been reading all of your posts and am in awe of of the credentials you people have. Anyway, I have a question dealing with how my site looks in Firebird. The text is too big. I've tried fixing the stylesheet, but nothing works. The text should be the same size as the links. For some weird reason, the hyperlinks are the right size while the main content is not. Any suggestions as to fixing this?

Here's the url.

Upvote 0

Ormo

Pan loaf
Jan 16, 2004
Belfast, NI
Visit site
✟7,728.00
Faith
Christian
I tried to have a look at the source and stylesheet for your site, but I'm not able to. Maybe security you have on your site or maybe security from me looking from work... :scratch:

Anyways, I think (kinda guessing) your problem maybe to do with stylesheet definitions. When you don't define the size of the text in your stylesheet (or in the HTML) the browser will use its own standard for size. In broswers such as IE this will be the users appearance settings, in other browsers it may take its own settings to render the size of the font.

As a designer the way to take command of your site, as you know, is to use the stylesheet to define text size. However, you can't just stick a size property into the body definition to affect the pages text size (don't ask me why, it just doesn't work. At least not for me!). Now its a big assumption to make that this is what you have done, but the reason I have is because other tags will allow it. So I am thinking you have added the text size property to your body tag style and also to your hyperlink styles, thus the body text has remained too big and the hyperlinks etc have changed.
If this is the case, the way to get around it is to define the paragraph tag's size and then enclose your text in paragraph tags (<p>text</p> did that show as code ok? not sure if the board will parse it out as html..) and your text should come out in the size you want.
:)

Upvote 0