Feeling Uneasy with my school's curriculum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinsight4u

Contributor
Aug 8, 2003
✟21,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know people that went to a public school that wrote as to - this is what the book says. They were Christians and did not believe what that book says.
In my case, I refused to write anything as to evolution, till my teacher told that I could write it, then write that it is a lie. I was also allowed to add Bible verses and comments to the pages, be it a test or whatever.

My teenage years are long over, but maybe I can be allowed to speak from
experience as to my life back then.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What should I do when my teachers and the reading material incorporate pushy statements that come off as anti-Christian?

Read them and re read them and comment on them.

What evidence does the book provide to support its statements?
Why do you think the author made the book/characters say such things?
Is the book being fair/honest?
What would the long term effects of increasing bias against Christianity?

You can't hide against anti christian ideas etc, so learn to deal with them and sharpen up your critical skills while doing so.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I tend to be pragmatic on things like this. You have two things you want from them: (a) course credit and (b) a degree. I would find a solution that doesn't fiddle around with that. In life you will be exposed to many ideas that differ from your beliefs. You can't avoid them all. Be of your own mind. Hear new ideas. Evaluate them. Learn from and keep the good ones. Discard the bad ones. If you're going to gamble with your future over a principle, I think it should be a mighty big one. I'm think what you are experiencing doesn't rise to that level for me. I heard a pastor preach once, "There are a lot of crosses. You have to decide which ones are worth dying on."

This reminds me of a time when my middle school son asked me questions about a history assignment about the Viet Nam war. As one who lived it, I knew he was being taught blatant misinformation and his textbook was erroneous. I told him when it came time to take the test, he should put down the answers that it says in the book because there is something he wants: credit. Then I said, "But, let me tell you what really happened..."

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,224,304.00
Country