North
✟11,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let me start off with a small story because I am not sure where to begin.

Started my first semester of college in January 2006, taking automotive courses. Only completed one semester because of the economy in Michigan.

Several years later found myself taking classes at an unaccredited Bible college. Met my wife's at this college while she was in her second year (She graduated.), -I only completed one year with intentions of returning after eloping. Two kids later and many random life events, plus living 85 miles from said college has left me feeling incomplete. This was 2008/2009.

My grandfather passed away in 2012 and decided to use some money from a trust to attend Liberty University Spring 2013. My mother who was in control made lots of promises which I believed, but I broke off the contract and decided to foot the bill myself.

In the middle of all this my father passed away from cancer, and my wife's father was diagnosed with the same cancer that killed my father (two weeks later). My daughter was born and her birth was traumatizing for my wife. The anesthesiologist messed up and my wife felt the entire operation. Not only this, but due to my wife's small stature my daughter caused some trauma to my wife spine; more on this later.

Anyways, only completed one year with Liberty Online. Their program was both rewarding and challenging, but expensive. Nonetheless, life continued as my wife's mental and physical condition became worse, and with her father’s health deteriorating she became depressed. This made living with her very difficult! She was verbally abusive to me and our kids, and to some extent still is. Everything that has taken place changed her forever.

With my current season of life, I decided ministry would have to wait. Of course, there was prayer on this, along with seeking guidance from family, friends, coworkers, and fellow Christians. However, this did not mean school could wait mainly because of my wife's health issues. Why? She was in a pain management program, therapy, and most mornings it would take her 3-4 hours to get out of bed. She was having difficulties caring for our children alone and required me to drop hours at work. To make the difference and keep a roof over our heads that means we would need student loans to make ends meet.

Found a great program locally that is rewarding, difficult, and inexpensive. Currently in study for petroleum technology and have 6 classes left. Starting pay is astronomical for my location because of natural gas development/expansion in this region. However, the course is unbelievably difficult, but figured the struggle would be worthwhile. It would allow me to afford the insurance my wife will need for future operations.

How it all comes together, and recent events.

In my second semester of this program my wife was in an automotive accident on April 1, 2015 (not her faulty). At first the accident did not seem alarming and she was taken to our local hospital. While there they neglected to scan her, even though she was complaining of severe back pain, headache and knee pain. They quickly rushed her out of the E.R., but not before I argued with staff to give her some crutches.

The next day.

My wife went to her spine doctor for a follow up concerning her physical therapy. While there she explained the accident and how her knee was throbbing. This resulted in her doctor taking an x-ray and noticed her knee was broken. Not-only-this, but an x-ray of her back showed severe spinal damage in her lower back. This is when we learned she would need a spinal fusion at age 25.

During all these appointments my grades began to slip. Just couldn't keep up with college, kids, and my wife's medical needs. This resulted me having to medically drop several classes which means rather than graduating this semester -it will be May 2017 because my classes got offset and only certain classes are offered in the spring or fall.

Meanwhile, my wife's father passed away from cancer 5 days after her accident. She only got to see him one more time during all this mess about two hours before he slipped away. Now she is a train-wreck and justifiably so, but very difficult to get along with due to medication, pain, depression, and anxiety.

Her spinal fusion cost north of $100k and required her to practically be cut in half, and have a cage installed. Her knee was fixed and total billing came out to roughly $160k for both operations - naturally our insurance is covering this, but not without a fight requiring us to hire a lawyer. However, that is not everything that went wrong. She started having seizures and will require medication for the rest of her life.

Now.

Wife just got her license back last week, which is freeing up time for me (after a seizure, you have to wait 6-months to get it back). She is having difficulties with her college classes due to memory loss from the accident. While she is technically healing her doctor stated it would take 12-24 months to heal completely. Most mornings still take her 3-4 hours to get out of bed, and she has difficulties with our children. Any stress causes migraines which can lead to a seizure. She cannot be left alone with the kids for long which makes it difficult finding a job that will work with me and my school schedule.

Starting to feel really burnt out on life. My wife is wonderful, but difficult; so-much-so in fact that I have not gone to church with her in a while. She is pushy, cranky, and verbally abusive in the morning. So now, I just stay home, and when I do go she is in a rush to get out and head to her mothers. I would rather stay and attend a study group. I understand she is in pain and on lots of medication, but starting to wonder away. Divorce has even crossed my mind a couple times, but don’t have the gumption to go through with it, and do not believe in divorce. However, she has gotten better compared to a few months ago.

My kids are a handful and take everything out of me. I am low energy and having difficulties with college. Even though I go to bed early every night, I am the one getting up with the kids through the night, the one that gets up with them in the morning, the one that feeds them, gets them ready, etc. Our love life has been on a burner for two year now because of pain and then the accident / recovery. Starting to feel insecure, unloved and alone. Which is unhealthy.

I thought my 30’s would be great, at least that is what everyone kept telling me in my late 20’s, but starting to feel frustrated and even stupid at times. I. just. Want. To. Quit. RUN AWAY!! I don’t know, anything would better than living like this in a small 600SqFt two bedroom apartment without a job, and living off money that will need to be paid back. Sure with this education my job will pay very well, but don’t want to relay on something that has not happened yet. Getting tired and unfocused, I want to drop college and find a job, but know my wife cannot handle the kids by herself just yet.

As for the ‘stupid’ remark, I took a quiz yesterday and bombed it. I felt pressured, tired, and unprepared even with studding for hours before, I choked. Normally straight ‘A’ student and while my GPA is 3.445 currently (remember accident). I feel like I could be doing better, I have to do better because my family’s future depends on it. If you want that six-figure job, you must maintain a 3.3 GPA or above. Problem is, I am beginning to feel competitive in my program and that is a feeling that is uncomfortable for me. I’d rather focus on helping people and just be happy. For years I felt called into ministry and have invested much time and prayer into that calling, but with this season of life it feels like a pipe dream.

And it doesn’t end here, not even close. Lately some old memories of my father and mother have been resurfacing causing great confusion and insecurities; which would require another 1300 words or more to express. Tried talking to my wife about these, but feels like I am talking to a brick wall. She says she hears me; however, she offers nothing in return.

Anyways, really needed to type this out and get it off my chest. I’ve been wanting to do this for months and have tried talking to friends, family, and wife, but they just listen and say nothing. Could really use some insight, encouragement, prayer, etc.

Feeling like I am at the end of my ropes.

Edit: Felt like I needed to clarify I really love my wife and will stand by her through all this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby H

ShakenForwardShakenFree

Running Wild With The Hope
Nov 20, 2011
In the shadow of His wings...
✟8,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Oh boy, do I understand where you're coming from. For almost entirely different contexts, you and me are speaking the same language.

First, God is great. I believe this, and not in the ra-ra cheerleader way. Ive seen his greatness. Ive lived through it. He has lifted me up amidst life's turmoil time and time again. Ive seen and heard of incredible graces of God to my family.

God has something for you. And me, while I'm at it.

But I get everything you say. I'm not here to tell you you shouldn't feel burnt out. I do as well.

Life is funny.

I was a promising young writer for a local newspaper. I was published before I had a degree, and right out of high school. I thought I had a future. Well, everyone knows how the publication industry has caved in upon itself. Small town newspapers took the brunt of that. So, I shifted life's focus in my mid-20s. I returned to school. I succeeded. I was offered an assistantship to teach my way through graduate school. I succeeded. I was offered a yearly renewable teaching contract starting in 2012 at my graduating university. I succeeded. Along the way I was awarded as Outstanding Instructor, helped my students achieve immense public successes, and sat on a curriculum revamp, creating multiple highly thought of courses now used... and taught by others.

You see, despite all my successes, graduating with honors/distinction, academic publication, award-winning level teaching, and a well-thought of reputation by both staff and students, I was subject to budget cuts, and my job was removed from me. It happened late. It happened suddenly.

Along that successful path, I had failures. I believed I'd found someone who genuinely cared for me, who saw me for the giver that I am, and who shared a vision for the future alongside me. I was wrong. I also thought I had the contacts and expertise to start a side business using my skills and personality to my advantage, not just my students. While I did well in the few opportunities, apparently I'm not the marketer I hoped, and so my venture into small business on the side accrued just enough debt that it, coupled with a tidy sum from school loans, has me carrying a world of financial burden upon my shoulders.

I am now in my early 30s. I am single, though not by choice. I am without my career, though not by choice. I am living in my parent's rental income studio apartment, though not by choice. I am removed from the city of my adulthood, my friends, and my church.

I am starting a new chapter in my life, and while I think it holds an upside for me that can revive all the things I've lost, it's a struggle daily to find hope.

But I know I should not fret.

God is truly bigger than my dire circumstances.

God is there for us in times of trial.

So, while I type this with a similarly heavy heart, having lost everything that composed my identity within the last 12-15 months, I know God is.

And that is enough for me to remove myself from bed each morning when all I am just wants to lament what I am no longer.

I say all this having never suffered health issues like you wife.

I say this as someone without serious health issues to this point in my life.

But I also say this as someone who has felt betrayed by almost every colleague over the last few years, and who sees the fruits of my successes now likely mishandled by educators fortunate to have been hired at a time when tenure was always achievable, who are slow to adapt, and even slower to help students like I had.

I also say this as a highly successful 30 year old who had escaped the small town of my youth, only to return with nothing, while those friends who didn't escape have husbands, wives, children, homes, and careers. Literally almost all of them are better off than I am, despite me doing everything you're supposed to do and doing it well.

Ive opined for a normal life. One of struggles, but ultimate successes; one of a family, children, and home and career. But while all of this is life, not one is ever normal.

So I pray over your mindset that God grant you the ability to see the small details of hope in these times. That god use this process of refining to expose the blemishes and through the heat of the trial, burn them away, leaving you, your wife, and your situation in a more stable, more perfected place. That the vision and ability to cope is seen and experienced through Him, so that you are never worn down.

It's a small prayer and offers no immediate wisdom or solution, but Ive seen the harshest of marriages be polished smooth through struggles, and the most loveless of situations blossom anew with hope after the rain.

Press forward. God has you.

I press forward. It's all I can do.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Friend,
True ministers of the gospel are not bred in seminaries. Rather, they are forged by Christ when he reveals their weakness and His strength in the midst of their trials and adversities. Overwhelming troubles are perhaps the most efficient and effective training ground of the Great Shepherd.

Romans 5:3-4,
"We also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope."
2 Corinthians 4:11-12,
"For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death works in us, but life in you."
1 Peter 5:10,
"After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you."

"Live Thou within us, Lord, Thy mind and will be ours;
Be Thou beloved, adored, and served with all our powers,
That so our lives may teach Thy children what Thou art,
And plead, by more than speech, for Thee with every heart."
--Jim Ellerton, 1780

"In preaching (or spiritual training of any sort) there is the need for an experience of the power of the truth in our won souls; if it does not dwell in power in us, it will not pass in power from us."
--John Owen, 1616-1683

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Akmauser

Life.
Dec 24, 2012
North
✟11,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let me apologize for not responding sooner. Honestly, I do not remember writing the original post, and so much has changed.

I finally finished my program May 2018, which is yet one more year later than initially stated above. There are no jobs in my area and while there are many opportunities else-where, my wife would rather struggle and be nearly homeless than leave her friends / mother.

A decision was made to take a few extra classes while trying to figure out the next step in our lives. This resulted in an amazing summer job that pays decent (not enough for our medical / college debt), and discovered a new talent that is very enjoyable.

Anyways, things have gotten more rough. My wife is very verbally abusive and has been physical a few times with me and the kids and not sure what to do. I am just trying to buy time since I have no help or anyone to talk with. She threatened me IF I were to take the kids away from her. My mother thinks a hidden camera would protect my word against hers since she has witnessed my wife in full mean mode.

Let explain further.

She was diagnosed with MS last December and her attitude due to pain, medication, and the way MS general changes her has made all this more difficult.

Feeling conflicted. Perhaps I should seek help in the marriage forum. I do not have anyone locally to discuss this with since going to Church is off the list (for now) with how she behaves.

Upvote 0