Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have a very specific question that to my surprise, I haven't seen much commentary on. Perhaps anyone here can provide some insight or refer to some commentary.

I'm looking at the feeding of the people in the desert in Exodus 16 and Jesus' feeding of the 5,000. I'm also mindful of 2 Kings 4.

In Exodus God provided bread and quail. In the Gospels He provided bread and fish. I can appreciate some of the symbolism of the bread, but what's the significance of the fish and their relationship to (or replacement for) the quail?

Basically, why bread and quail? And why bread and fish? And why fish instead of quail?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Basically, why bread and quail? And why bread and fish? And why fish instead of quail?
I really love your own answer to this :) ....
quote: "There really are no inconsistencies in the things you raised. "
Not only no inconsistencies (I realize in the OP no inconsistency is 'claimed', just differences observed)...
but
a perfect, beautiful and complete harmony of all the various works of YHWH with men.
Many of the inconsistencies men see are because of sin and doctrines that were developed contrary to YHWH's WORD, that men hold to until they test them(if they test them) like the Bereans were blessed for (seeing that a message even from Apostles was in Scripture BEFORE believing or accepting it).
Jesus said "I have food to eat that you don't know about" to the disciples,
and it is often like this with other - like the blood - it is spirit, and it is life (His Words) i.e. not at all an abomination that it would be if it was physical blood.

There is an astonishing array or brilliance or over-awesome completeness and fullness and marvelous wondrous perfectness how all the Scripture and Life and All in All works together by God's DOing, His Perfect Plan and Purpose and Salvation in Christ Jesus.

The bread and quail and fish , et al, oil, manna, soup,
throughout
His Word has been in multiple ways correlations revealed through the ages (not in commentaries/man's wisdom or methods)
at various times as YHWH is pleased to show
His Wisdom and Simplicity in all things, beautifully orchestrated in YHWH's magnificent and brilliant and eternal knowledge and wisdom and plan.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I really love your own answer to this :) ....
quote: "There really are no inconsistencies in the things you raised. "
Not only no inconsistencies (I realize in the OP no inconsistency is 'claimed', just differences observed)...
but
a perfect, beautiful and complete harmony of all the various works of YHWH with men.
Many of the inconsistencies men see are because of sin and doctrines that were developed contrary to YHWH's WORD, that men hold to until they test them(if they test them) like the Bereans were blessed for (seeing that a message even from Apostles was in Scripture BEFORE believing or accepting it).
Jesus said "I have food to eat that you don't know about" to the disciples,
and it is often like this with other - like the blood - it is spirit, and it is life (His Words) i.e. not at all an abomination that it would be if it was physical blood.

There is an astonishing array or brilliance or over-awesome completeness and fullness and marvelous wondrous perfectness how all the Scripture and Life and All in All works together by God's DOing, His Perfect Plan and Purpose and Salvation in Christ Jesus.

The bread and quail and fish , et al, oil, manna, soup,
throughout
His Word has been in multiple ways correlations revealed through the ages (not in commentaries/man's wisdom or methods)
at various times as YHWH is pleased to show
His Wisdom and Simplicity in all things, beautifully orchestrated in YHWH's magnificent and brilliant and eternal knowledge and wisdom and plan.

Thank you and well spotted :)

I recognize and agree with this. If anyone asked me, I'd probably say something very similar. I was just curious to learn if anyone knew of any other significances or symbolisms that I'm missing.

Basically, I'm of the view that Scripture uses a wide host of symbols that often refers to the same thing(s), and as you gathered, I don't view it as inconsistent but complimentary. However, I'm also of the feeling that when a symbol is given, it's given for a reason in that it testifies to something particular, though it may not be super apparent. An example of this could be when Scripture talks about water and blood: They are not really individual means, for they both point to the one Lord Jesus Christ. However, at the same time, they both hold valuable symbolism in relation to cleansing and atoning. Hope that makes sense! :)

Upvote 0